• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Space Blanket: Noise?

T0M

Time of past OR future Camino
France (2019)
I carried and sometimes used, a light sleeping bag on my camino Frances. There was some weight and bulk involved. I am wondering about substituting a mylar space blanket for next time. They cost and weigh next to nothing. (often sold in packs of 10/// might be a fun thing to share). I've never used one before, so wondering if they are too noisy. Would this be inconsiderate of the good sleep of others nearby.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I carried and sometimes used, a light sleeping bag on my camino Frances. There was some weight and bulk involved. I am wondering about substituting a mylar space blanket for next time. They cost and weigh next to nothing. (often sold in packs of 10/// might be a fun thing to share). I've never used one before, so wondering if they are too noisy. Would this be inconsiderate of the good sleep of others nearby.
Yes, yes and you’ll be wetter than a very wet thing if you sleep under one of those. They are impermeable and there’s nowhere for the water vapour to go. They’re sold for ‘emergency use’ mainly where it’s assumed being warm(ish) and wet is preferable to cold and wet. They’re mainly carried by folk who have never used them.

Such a considerate idea. Perhaps you will bury it...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I never thought I’d prefer the plastic bad folks over someone else, but this may be the all time winner! Thank you for asking, but even moreso, thank you for NOT following through on this idea….

YES, to both questions.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I carry a space blanket. I have ever since they first became available (1980’s?). I’ve never unpacked it and hope I never will.
They’re meant for providing emergency shelter/cover in emergency situations. Though one wet Wednesday on the north slopes of Man Tor, as I waited with a middle aged Brummy with a turned ankle for the stretcher crew to make it through the murk, I did wonder if the one we were wrapped in could be utilized as a neck tourniquet…

I carry a space blanket. I have ever since they first became available (1980’s?). I’ve never unpacked it and hope I never will.
They’re meant for providing emergency shelter/cover in emergency situations. Though one wet Wednesday on the north slopes of Man Tor, as I waited with a middle aged Brummy with a turned ankle for the stretcher crew to make it through the murk, I did wonder if the one we were wrapped in could be utilized as a neck tourniquet…
have often wondered if those who complain or worry about about noise have never heard of earplugs? You can buy them in any pharmacy along the camino! I carry both earplugs and the space blanket . as stated I sincerely hope I too never have to use the damn thing but the noise effect has never entered my noggin! The ear plugs have saved my sanity oft from the braying and trumpeting of the Broncadores however :)

Peace

Samarkand.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
have often wondered if those who complain or worry about about noise have never heard of earplugs? You can buy them in any pharmacy along the camino! I carry both earplugs and the space blanket . as stated I sincerely hope I too never have to use the damn thing but the noise effect has never entered my noggin! The ear plugs have saved my sanity oft from the braying and trumpeting of the Broncadores however :)

Peace

Samarkand.
Yep, me too. Earplugs are standard equipment wherever I am. Albergue, airplane, and dare I say it…..at home.
Yes, she snores…..but I didn’t tell you that!

Couple of things:
they are noisy, imagine aluminum foil wraper like noisy. It's an unnatural sound that will keep you awake more than snoring.
They are very fragile and tear easily when used. You'll be going through a good few of them.
the condensation from your own skin will be epic
It's an emergency use item and should be confined to that use

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh my goodness Tincatinker! I didn't see that one coming, though coming from you I should have been suspect. I am still laughing and almost spewed my coffee over my computer screen!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for posing the question and thanks for everyone's replies. Coincidentally, yesterday I made a very comprehensive list of all the things I would like to pack so that I can get an estimate of needed pack volume and approximate weight. I had a "Space Blanket" on the list with a big question mark after it. I've never carried one before on a hike. I guess I should cross that one off!

Hi Tom
I have only ever carried a sleeping bag liner. They are lightweight and fold up to nothing. I have walked in April. May, June, July, September and October. They have usually been warm enough and most places have blankets if it does go a little cold at night.
Buen Camino
Vince

North Face sleeping bag liner. 15 oz and minimal bulk. Used for two camions and still looking like it can take one more trek. Nix the Mylar, which I’ve used after a few very cold marathons, to positive effect. Tried a Tyvek blanket ONCE — another bad solution as it wore out quickly and was too hot most nights. Stick to the lightweight bag liner.

Mylar emergency blankets are intended solely for EMERGENCY use. They are designed to prevent death from hypothermia. As such, they are intended as a more or less, single use item for truly extreme situations.

The designers traded off increased noise versus increased thermal efficiency. These blankets are standard kit for military and first responder emergency and survival kits.

If you want something quiet and relatively warm consider the Snugpak Jungle Blanket, or the Alps Mountaineering microfiber sleeping bag liner. Unlike the Snugpak blanket, the Alps bag has a full separating zip. Two identical bags can be mated together to form a lightweight sleep sack for two people.

You can find the Alps Mountaineering microfiber sleeping back liner here:

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
I am still considering taking a mylar/space bivy bag when i one far day into the future might walk from my door to SdC.
No, i do not plan of using it indoors. For that, i have an extremely light down sleeping bag (240g), but in the off chance i might be forced to sleeping outdoors (and can't get any accomodation with money) that bivy bag combined with my 2mm & 100g EVA "sleeping mat" (yeah, its more there to stiffen the backpack and act as a yoga mat or sitpad) might transform an extremely bad night into just a bad night. I don't kid myself as to that there might be extended comfort, but on the other hand, it might keep me from becoming sick and having to return home.

I am still considering taking a mylar/space bivy bag when i one far day into the future might walk from my door to SdC.
No, i do not plan of using it indoors. For that, i have an extremely light down sleeping bag (240g), but in the off chance i might be forced to sleeping outdoors (and can't get any accomodation with money) that bivy bag combined with my 2mm & 100g EVA "sleeping mat" (yeah, its more there to stiffen the backpack and act as a yoga mat or sitpad) might transform an extremely bad night into just a bad night. I don't kid myself as to that there might be extended comfort, but on the other hand, it might keep me from becoming sick and having to return home.
I once used one in a sudden downpour when I had forgotten a poncho. (I always keep one in the bottom of my pack - it was years old). I didn't envision the emergency being a storm, but it was surprising waterproof, and the storm was so violent I didnt notice the noise.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Think of sleeping inside a giant potato chip bag and you will get an idea of the noise and how clammy and wet you’ll be by morning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had one, unused for years all over. When I finally had reason to use it, it had degenerated onto a set of rectangles and was useless.
Even after all the replies on this thread, I still see no reason not to carry one as they are so tiny folded up and weigh next to nothing. I will replace the one I've never used with a fresh one because if it's anything like items at home I've finally thrown out, I invariably seem to "need" them later. I wouldn't want to need an emergency blanket, but no longer have it.

Last edited:
Try one of the various types of sleeping bag liners.
Just back from the Primitivo, both of us taking a 2 # compact sleeping bag. Partner gave his away after 3 days I carried mine to Melide and gave it away there. You could also figure out what clothes that can do double duty and sleep in them. You’re exactly right- bulky, heavy and more of that packing your fear stuff. Buen Camino

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have one under the back seat of my truck to be used in case of an emergency. They are indeed crinkly and noisy. No way would I attempt to sleep in one in albergue communal sleeping quarters.
You would be better off carrying one (or two in cooler weather) sleeping bag liners, the faux synthetic type. They are about the size of a beer can when in their stuff sack and weigh very little. The advantage of carrying two is versatility as no two sleeping albergue quarters are alike in temperature. The one's I have cost about $6 each.

I always carry that baking foil shelter - just in case; for me, for another. One winter, seriously icy (in the UK) I met a college boy (young man) on a group 10 mile run who had slipped on the ice, fallen, broken his ankle. I had to strip his fellows and myself to provide what was still really inadequate warmth - if only I had a mylar blanket with me that day as the ambulance took absolutely ages to arrive.
Carry one - if not for you, it might save someone else (but please, not in a refugio as a ridiculous sleeping bag!

I always carry that baking foil shelter - just in case; for me, for another. One winter, seriously icy (in the UK) I met a college boy (young man) on a group 10 mile run who had slipped on the ice, fallen, broken his ankle. I had to strip his fellows and myself to provide what was still really inadequate warmth - if only I had a mylar blanket with me that day as the ambulance took absolutely ages to arrive.
Carry one - if not for you, it might save someone else (but please, not in a refugio as a ridiculous sleeping bag!
Definitely one of your Camino Angel first aid moments, David...even in the UK. 😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The OP asked if a Mylar “space blanket” could replace a sleeping bag, NOT if one should be carried for emergency use.

As a daily-use item? No. For emergencies? Personal choice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Noisy, yes. As loud as some guy snoring next to you, no. It's very light and warm.

I have used a rescue bivy which is a bivy sack made of the same material. It is a moist sleep since all of the moisture discharged by your body during the night condenses on the inside of the mylar. You and any clothing you wear will be uncomfortably damp by morning. If you sleep very still, you may not disturb you roommates very much, but you certainly will when you open your blanket and pack it away in the morning both of which operations involve quite a bit of crinkling. Lastly, you should be aware that the silver coating on the mylar will wear of quickly when it gets wet overnight as it will with your sweat. This will leave you with a clear mylar sheet. They really are intended for single use only.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am thinking about carrying a "reuseable" emergency bivy bag and an inflatable mattress with me as well as my sleeping bag on the Portuguese next year in case accommodation is hard to come by some nights. I would not consider using it in an albergue however.

I am thinking about carrying a "reuseable" emergency bivy bag and an inflatable mattress with me as well as my sleeping bag on the Portuguese next year in case accommodation is hard to come by some nights. I would not consider using it in an albergue however.
If you are thinking of camping as an alternative to an albergue stay, you may want to consider purchasing and caring a lightweight bivy or one person tent of which there are many on the market. The emergency bivies are really designed for emergencies where it is just you and the elements. They do not really accommodate sleeping bags and sleeping pads very well.

If you are thinking of camping as an alternative to an albergue stay, you may want to consider purchasing and caring a lightweight bivy or one person tent of which there are many on the market. The emergency bivies are really designed for emergencies where it is just you and the elements. They do not really accommodate sleeping bags and sleeping pads very well.
I'm only planning on using it as a last resort if there is no room in the albergues. I hope not to have to use it at all.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.