• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Space saver bags

Mark Barnes

Old Engineer
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - September - November (2017)
Does anyone use space saver bags to save room in your backpack? If so how did they work? What brand did you use that did work? Good/bad learnings? Thanks, just looking for ways to compress items such as fleece and such.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have used space saver type bags for other travel, but not on the camino. I thought that they were too much of a weight impost for the benefit. Some of the ones that I used operate on having a valve that allows the air to be squeezed out of the sealed bag. The other style was a compression sack. Both gave useful reductions in volume, particularly for items like one's fleece.

I still carry my sleeping bag in a roll top bag that gives a small amount of compression, but most of that comes in being able to pack the bag tightly in the first place. Other things like clothes I pack in a zip lock bag, and while I squeeze as much air out of these as possible when I am packing, they don't stay airtight for all that long, even if you get the type that has a double zip.

Do you mean bags like this: http://shop.eaglecreek.com/pack-it-specter/l/231 ?

If so, I regularly use these for camping and travelling for work. They are expensive but mine are very well used and have lasted ages. Years ago I would have said what's wrong with a plastic bag and why splash out but I am a huge fan now. These bags are easier, quieter to open and they help keep me organised. The compression ones work and are good for woolly jumpers and stuff that compresses obviously ;-). The compression cubes are a bit heavier at 63g compared to 29g.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

If so, I regularly use these for camping and travelling for work. They are expensive but mine are very well used and have lasted ages. Years ago I would have said what's wrong with a plastic bag and why splash out but I am a huge fan now. These bags are easier, quieter to open and they help keep me organised. The compression ones work and are good for woolly jumpers and stuff that compresses obviously ;-). The compression cubes are a bit heavier at 63g compared to 29g.
I mean such as in this link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GEP4JGA/?tag=casaivar02-20

I have some of those at home to put woolly jumpers in over the winter. Personally - I can't imagine fiddling around trying to roll them up every morning or the bags lasting 30+ rollings. Again, this is a very personal view, I would take a slightly larger rucksack that's easier to dump things into, than a smaller pack which requires compression sacks and careful packing. I don't have the patience for that kind of thing the morning!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sea to Summit, there are several threads on pack sacks and some good products around. Just make sure what ever you select it isn't noisey, pilgrims can get very grumpy about noise plastic rustling in the mornings!

Sea to Summit, there are several threads on pack sacks and some good products around. Just make sure what ever you select it isn't noisey, pilgrims can get very grumpy about noise plastic rustling in the mornings!
They make good packing cells, but I haven't seen a compression bag by Sea to Summit. Have I missed this? Or perhaps they don't distribute one here in Australia.

Ultra light weight waterproof stuff stackers, you can get them in Oz and elsewhere, some complain about the cost but if you tramp a lot they make up for it, you squeeze out the air to compress them and then roll snap the top, bit like vacume packing, also make a damn fine pillow, we use one for sleeping stuff and another for main pack, others use the shower option for wet gear. google it doug.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I regularly use these for camping and travelling for work.

Me too ! ! !

Ultra light weight waterproof stuff stackers, you can get them in Oz and elsewhere, some complain about the cost but if you tramp a lot they make up for it, you squeeze out the air to compress them and then roll snap the top, bit like vacume packing, also make a damn fine pillow, we use one for sleeping stuff and another for main pack, others use the shower option for wet gear. google it doug.
You are right. I had overlooked those. I have a much older and heavier version of this style of bag from Mont - still too heavy for the Camino, although the S2S ultrasil versions appear much lighter, and certainly might be an option.

No, never used them. They leave clothes all crumpled and I wasn't carrying enough to need something like this. I Put my sleeping back in a compression sack and my clothes and toiletries in the Eagle Creek Pack it Specter Cube set (which are super light weight) and was all I needed.

My post Camino packing list and review is here in case you might find it helpful:
http://www.musingsfromthelastfrontier.com/post-camino-de-santiago-packing-list/

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,I use 3 backs as shown on the picture.
Squeeze the air out to a vacume
With only 3 bags in my backpack thats a easy packing of the backpack.
Wish you well,Peter.

Attachments

• 20170729_141359.jpg
    20170729_141359.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
just use the waterproof stuff bags,they come in various sizes 2 litre to 15.Karrimor here in the uk market them and they are half the price of bigger brands

Osprey Ultralight Drysacks

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No, never used them. They leave clothes all crumpled/
Never really worried about crumpled clothes on the Camino, and yet to see another pilgrim carrying an iron, so suspect it's not that big an issue... But agree, carry less and there is no need to stuff, stuff in. If anyone ever comes up with a pack sack that makes the contents lighter - I'd be interested.

Unless you already own a very good back pack that happens to be too small for that you really really need to bring, but could use it if you decreased volume a bit, I would not bother.

This being said, separating items by use is something I find helpful, as ot allows me to keep my bunk area more organised, and keep track of my otems better so I don't leave anything behind.

For that use this is what I take:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DX8NZ2/?tag=casaivar02-20

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've not used these for a Camino with the thinking that if I need to compress items to that degree just to manage to get everything into my pack, then getting anything out of my pack is going to be a pain in the neck. My sleeping quilt/bag is always loose at the bottom of my bag so I use 3 different coloured S2S SIL bags to organize items (toiletries, socks/underwear, etc) so when I look into my bag I can identify the colour of bag I need and easily slide it out without removing everything else.

Does anyone use space saver bags to save room in your backpack? If so how did they work? What brand did you use that did work? Good/bad learnings? Thanks, just looking for ways to compress items such as fleece and such.

Mark, I have used regular, good quality ziplock bags (twice) on the Camino as well as on every trip I take in the U.S. and overseas. When they crap out, after several trips, I merely replace same. I have never needed to invest in those advertised for travel. I use the "sit and zip" method.

It seems every seasoned traveler has a preferred method of packing, so figure out what YOU feel most comfortable doing.

BTW, there are folks out there who object to the plastic bags because of the noise one makes. I am very careful to have all my "stuff" ready to go the night before and do not make any undue noise in the morning.

¡Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.