• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Spain Announces State of Alarm until May 2021

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

lindam

Time of past OR future Camino
Fr, VDLP, Invierno, Port, Madrid, Ingles, Aragones
Spain has announced a new state of alarm until May 2021. See some details here: https://english.elpais.com/society/...with-plans-to-keep-it-in-place-until-may.html. The article emphases that it will be up to the autonomous communities within Spain to develop their own regulations outside of those mandated at a national level. It will not include border closures or restrictions on travel outside of established curfew times (note that curfew times also vary between autonomous communities). Obviously, this new set of developments is to be taken into account for anyone contemplating a Camino in the coming months.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@lindam, thank you for posting this link to an El Pais article that has already been translated into English and is very readable. It explains the situation around this recent "State of Alarm" declared by the Spanish government and its purpose quite well. I implore people to read it before they comment and not just comment on the basis of the title of this thread. My hope springs eternal ... 😇.

This seems to make great sense to me and I must admit a little selfishly I’m very hopeful, I’m due to leave Scotland on the 12th May for SJPdP so it looks like my Camino Frances that I’ve been planning for the last 5yrs should be good to go although my Portuguese this year was cancelled but that can wait for another time. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At first glance it would seem to leave Caminos unaffected: the curfew unlikely to affect pilgrims, no restrict on crossing county borders unless local government brings it in, etc.

@lindam, thank you for posting this link to an El Pais article that has already been translated into English and is very readable. It explains the situation around this recent "State of Alarm" declared by the Spanish government and its purpose quite well. I implore people to read it before they comment and not just comment on the basis of the title of this thread. My hope springs eternal ... 😇.
Mine too!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
At first glance it would seem to leave Caminos unaffected: the curfew unlikely to affect pilgrims, no restrict on crossing county borders unless local government brings it in, etc.
The Autonomous Regions of Navarra and La Rioja are officially confined, you cannot enter or leave. Aragon too (today or tomorrow). Castilla y León is also considering confining the whole Autonomous Region but no decision taken yet.

I would say walking the French Way from France is fairly affected.

We were hoping to do the camino in March/April. It does not look likely that this will happen with the State of Alarm until May 2021. Hopefully, AA will change our tickets. Finger crossed things improve in Spain. I have family there as well. Everyone stay safe.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@mmmmartin, I think you are mistaken as people are already thinking about cancelling their trips for next spring ... 😉:rolleyes:

It is probably wise for Spain to put the order in place for 6-7 months with the flexibility included. The rise in infection is very worrying and there is no point in blaming any section of society. Unfortunately it seems very uncertain times for planning any trips within the State of Alarm period. Stay safe everyone and pray for better times

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Spain has announced a new state of alarm until May 2021. See some details here: https://english.elpais.com/society/...with-plans-to-keep-it-in-place-until-may.html. The article emphases that it will be up to the autonomous communities within Spain to develop their own regulations outside of those mandated at a national level. It will not include border closures or restrictions on travel outside of established curfew times (note that curfew times also vary between autonomous communities). Obviously, this new set of developments is to be taken into account for anyone contemplating a Camino in the coming months.
Hi everyone. I hope you are all staying safe. I was to have gone on the Camino this past May and now am scheduled to go in May 2021 . I am hoping to walk the full Camino Frances.
However, from what I’m reading here it doesn’t sound very promising. Like everyone one else I’m hoping that we will be getting some positive news in early 2021 regarding travel to the Camino.
Thank you for all your updates.
Take care one and all.
Angelo

I personally wouldn't be making any plans, not for a while. Not until there is definite and positive news about a vaccine and equally positive news about its distribution and availability in Spain and elsewhere. All else is equal to taking a stab in the dark. Sit tight. Wait. Be patient.

My plans are now certain.

It’s the Sanabres - but only from Ourense, carrying on to the Finisterre and Muxia circuit.

the only missing detail, is when!

Keep planning, but stay flexible. This, too, will pass

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am still going to do the Norte in April whatever state we are in and will pack a tent.
If autonomous regions put in local prohibition on crossing county borders, then packing a tent doesn't get round that rule. If regions don't want people entering and leaving territories, it is for good reason, the protection of the lives of their communities, including those who look after us on the Camino. I think we peregrines owe them the respect that these restrictions deserve.

'tis a cool day. 'tis a grey day. There's a slight breeze.
The pommegranites are bigger and redder, the flowers are taller and brighter, you and I are one year older. The roof of the shed is rustier. The Winter is closer and Europe is further and father than Eva B4. The clothes on the ------- are drier. The rats in Greg's house a fatta, my coughy tastes betta because I made it sweeta. The red easter eggs are darker and we're lonelier than we waz this time last year and the year B4 and sew on to the power of 10 exactement. 'tis a pity, 'tis a sham, 'tis a krime, 'tis an awful waste of TIME. Thee lemon tree's taller. The roses are fuller. The hungry birds are boulder. The world has been turned up-side-down by corona and I'm weaker than I waz yesterday but, but, I remain optimistic that things will change!
I remain hopeful, hopefool, hope-full.

Amen.

1604323485456.png

Hang in there!
1604325686345.png

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back