A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID Spain closes borders to foreign non-resident nationals from midnight 16 March

Bradypus

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Spain is closing its borders to non-Spanish citizens without resident status from midnight tonight. Other foreigners will only be allowed to enter the country in exceptional circumstances.

Last edited:

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
Spain is closing its borders to non-Spanish citizens from midnight tonight. Foreigners will only be allowed to enter the country in exceptional circumstances.
This will help the decision-making for many. Spain is closed.

Jamie K

lifelong pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino France (May and June 2017)
Portuguese Camino (May and June 2018)
Possibly Le-Puy or VDLP
Prime Minister Trudeau just closed Canadian borders to non-citizens and non-residents. Live announcement now.
I just cancelled my flights to Spain last Friday night that was due on April 8 out of Vancouver.
Alberta just announced to close down all schools, daycares as of today.
Road travel is not recommended at this time.
I still can't believe this is really happening.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
I just cancelled my flights to Spain last Friday night that was due on April 8 out of Vancouver.
Alberta just announced to close down all schools, daycares as of today.
Road travel is not recommended at this time.
I still can't believe this is really happening.
Me either, but unfortunately, it is.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Basically everyone everywhere needs to stay home, get home quickly, or be prepared to hunker down for the duration.

PM Trudeau says US citizens still allowed to come. (It’ll be too hard politically and trade-wise to completely close our land border. We need food trucks to be allowed to cross. This may change)

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Breaking news: From tomorrow morning, Tuesday, ALL countries in the Schengen area of Europe (most countries) will be closed from entry for non-residents. I only have as source the Norwegian National Broadcasting, but it is the most reliable and trusted in Norway. For all practical purposes, you should consider Europe as locked down from tomorrow morning.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
For all practical purposes, you should consider Europe as locked down from tomorrow morning.
Not quite so fast: the EuCo meeting is scheduled to start on Tuesday late afternoon, 17 March, at 17:00, see here. They've got to sign the travel ban first.

Edited to add: The EuCo meeting is scheduled to last until about 19:00. It's 27 heads of state and government. If everyone talks only for 5 minutes, we've got already 2 hours. ☺

Last edited:

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Not quite so fast: the EuCo meeting is scheduled to start on Tuesday late afternoon, 17 March, at 17:00, see here. They've got to sign the travel ban first.
Correct, but notice my word practical. This will quite certainly happen. The pandemic has just begun. However, in these times, it would be very unfortunate to risk your travel money on veeery uncertain travels to Europe until this calms down substantially. Common sense needs to be applied.

Speaking as a sea captain: at sea we have a saying:

If you are in doubt, act as if there is no doubt.

It has saved lives and expenses.

Last edited:

Bad Pilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Far too many...
. For all practical purposes, you should consider Europe as locked down from tomorrow morning.
I say, that reminds me of a comic book I read when I was little!

"The year is 2020 AD. Europe is entirely occupied with closing borders and schools. Well, not entirely! One small country of indomitable Swedes still holds out against the blockaders. And life is not easy for the Swedish authorities who garrison the fortified camps of Reason, Science and Common Sense..."

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
I say, that reminds me of a comic book I read when I was little!

"The year is 2020 AD. Europe is entirely occupied with closing borders and schools. Well, not entirely! One small country of indomitable Swedes still holds out against the blockaders. And life is not easy for the Swedish authorities who garrison the fortified camps of Reason, Science and Common Sense..."
...Suecos... :) :) (you need to know some Spanish to understand this Spanish slang...)

Last edited:

FooteK

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to SdC, 2013; Lourdes to SdC, 2015; ??? to SdC (2020)

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Breaking news: From tomorrow morning, Tuesday, ALL countries in the Schengen area of Europe (most countries) will be closed from entry for non-residents. I only have as source the Norwegian National Broadcasting, but it is the most reliable and trusted in Norway. For all practical purposes, you should consider Europe as locked down from tomorrow morning.
The French have been reporting the same thing, though it should be noted that this is very likely to be perfectly inapplicable at such peculiar fluid borders as the ones between Luxembourg and its neighbours, or the Monaco/France border where I live.

Le Monde has clarified that the Nationals and Residents of these countries will be able to enter the particular country that they are a National or Resident of.

But well bottom line, from a Pilgrim's perspective crossing the borders into Spain, France, or Italy would be of little use given that hiking and biking are both currently forbidden activities. Except for those needing to get home to or from there, which should still be feasible.

Last edited:

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2016, 2017, 2019 Camino Frances
The French have been reporting the same thing, though it should be noted that this is very likely to be perfectly inapplicable at such peculiar fluid borders as the ones between Luxembourg and its neighbours, or the Monaco/France border where I live.
My sister once lived in Beausoleil , you might have been neighbours.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
There are such severe internal travel restrictions in place in many countries in Europe that it is nearly superfluous to state it but some people are of course still allowed to travel if it is non-essential travel: health care staff, EU citizens or residents returning home, passengers in transit, passengers travelling for imperative family reasons (the EU COM recommendations were published yesterday afternoon).

Madrid airport has already put up a notice on their website that says:

Border control
The new measures to strengthen inspections at the EU's external borders may cause delays in border controls for both leaving and entering the Schengen territory. If you are going to fly, go to the airport well in advance.
Under the changes to the Schengen Borders Regulation, border guards must check the travel documents of all persons, including those enjoying the right to free movement, in the relevant databases when they cross external borders. The check is carried out both on entry and exit at border posts.

As so many airlines have cancelled flights, I guess that Madrid airport is pretty empty or is there a rush of people trying to get home or arriving from another country because Spain is "home" for them?

PS: Can we keep thread drift to a minimum, please?

Last edited:

Sue127

Camino(s) past & future
French Camino in 2020
This is correct. I’m in France and we’re in lockdown. Only allowed to leave house for very few reasons and then with a signed declaration of intent. Gendarmes are already stopping people and can give immediate fines, not as large as in Spain. Very few places open, food shops, petrol stations and pharmacies. People working from home if possible. Stay safe all.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
This is correct. I’m in France and we’re in lockdown.
The 27 EU leaders are still in videoconference about the details of a EU/Schengen wide exit/entry ban for non-essential travel. It's Tuesday evening, 20:00 h, in Brussels now ... we will know soon enough, though.

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
20:15, Michel & vdL say: Schengen (I don't know about the others) entry ban of 30 days has been approved. It's up to the member states now; they said they will implement the ban immediately.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
As so many airlines have cancelled flights, I guess that Madrid airport is pretty empty or is there a rush of people trying to get home or arriving from another country because Spain is "home" for them?
You can check it out here what's happening on the sky above in real time:
France, Germany, UK, Benelux still have some air traffic but otherwise it's more or less shutting down.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
20:15, Michel & vdL say: Schengen (I don't know about the others) entry ban of 30 days has been approved. It's up to the member states now; they said they will implement the ban immediately.
Serbia (althought not EU country) even imposed curfew between 8pm-5am. People over 65 yo can only go out on the street between 5-10am. The army is patrolling the streets (https://prnt.sc/ri5my1).

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Every country in Europe, and in some countries every region, has taken slightly different measures to an extent that was still unimaginable for many people a week ago. As to Spain, the El País article at the start of this thread said: “From midnight tonight, only Spanish citizens and residents will be able to enter the country via land borders.” That was one or two days ago. Now it is not only the land borders, it is all the external borders, land, air (airports), sea.

As to the question when can I go to Spain again? Nobody can answer this but certainly not during the next 30 days.

Last edited:

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
Schengen (I don't know about the others) entry ban of 30 days has been approved. It's up to the member states now; they said they will implement the ban immediately.
The principle EU Member State not fully affected by this would be Eire -- because it is the principle one, economically, among the 27 that is not in the Schengen Area. But also because of Brexit stuff.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
The principle EU Member State not fully affected by this would be Eire -- because it is the principle one, economically, among the 27 that is not in the Schengen Area. But also because of Brexit stuff.
Most of this is quite academic right now. Next to everyone from outside ought to know by now that they must not travel in any direction right now for non-essential purposes.

I've not yet seen a formal legal decision taken at EU level, just the COM Recommendation and Guidelines and yesterday's Council Conclusions where they said that they've agreed on principle and will implement the travel ban immediately. I happened to see that the Government of Sweden has published something more detailed:

The decision takes effect on 19 March and will initially apply for 30 days. This is an exceptional measure that will not apply for longer than necessary.
That may be the blueprint for all the others. I don't know what the UK Government will do, they are no longer an EU member and did not take part in the videoconference. Ireland and the UK have something called the Common Travel Area and that puts Ireland in a separate category of its own.

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Switzerland informed yesterday about the "temporary reintroduction of border controls at the Swiss borders with Spain". That took me by surprise 🤔🙂.

It turned out that Switzerland introduces border controls for flights from Spain from 18 March until 27 March. Only Swiss nationals and holders of Swiss residence cards may enter the country, with very few exceptions for others.

Switzerland also stops issuing Schengen visas and national visas until 15 June 2020. This may be similar in other Schengen countries. For those of you who are thinking of a camino and have to apply for a visa.

Source: https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-6845-2020-ADD-2/en/pdf

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Norte and Frances Sept 6 - Oct 11, 2016
Spain is closing its borders to non-Spanish citizens without resident status from midnight tonight. Other foreigners will only be allowed to enter the country in exceptional circumstances.
Just like my home, Guatemala, and it's working here.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock