A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

COVID Spain eases restrictions

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués Porto'17,Lisbon'18
Inglés A Coruña y Ferrol '18
Invierno'19
The full story.

It's a small beginning, but hopefully, the Spanish economy will be able to slowly regain its footing.
Hi all,
I live in Spain and all my family in the USA keep asking me about Spain easing up restrictions and this is not quite the truth. We are in week 5 of what for now is a 6 week state of emergency Weeks 3-4 the economy was put in 'hibernation' this took advantage of the Easter week holidays of Thursday and Friday thus only applying to 8 work days, only essential workers could go to work. The only change today was a return to the first two weeks. We are still only allowed out for food or pharmacy. Still no exercise..... The only big sector I can see that was affected by the 'hibernation' was construction, and now with the return there are new restrictions on where they can work, the best source for info is a Spanish newspaper.
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen

D

Deleted member 67185

Is the death toll accurate? In "my" country they say that the registers "lag behind" due to Easter Holiday, and that more accurate numbers will be known tomorrow….!

/BP
I do not know.

D

Deleted member 67185

Hi all,
I live in Spain and all my family in the USA keep asking me about Spain easing up restrictions and this is not quite the truth. We are in week 5 of what for now is a 6 week state of emergency Weeks 3-4 the economy was put in 'hibernation' this took advantage of the Easter week holidays of Thursday and Friday thus only applying to 8 work days, only essential workers could go to work. The only change today was a return to the first two weeks. We are still only allowed out for food or pharmacy. Still no exercise..... The only big sector I can see that was affected by the 'hibernation' was construction, and now with the return there are new restrictions on where they can work, the best source for info is a Spanish newspaper.
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen
That is the reason why I posted the link to the story, so that the limits to the easing of restrictions is accurately portrayed. No one should be stating that there is a general lifting or easing of overall restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)

LTfit

Veteran Member
Hi all,
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen
Thank you MaryAnn for this clarification. I also live in Spain (on the Camino) and have family members in The Netherlands asking me the same thing.

Absolutely nothing has changed for most of us! I even had a friend (not a Camino person) ask me if I have guests:eek:, not knowing that it's been a month since albergues (and other accommodations), bars, restaurants and stores had to close.

It will be quite sometime before a new "normal" is established and I'm not even talking about the Camino.

peregrina2000

Staff member
I think that we have to keep in mind that the baselines are very different in each country. Spain has “eased restrictions” to allow construction workers to go to work, but in my state, though we have a shelter in place order, construction workers have always been allowed to go to work. I don’t think there is any universally accepted definition of “stay at home,” “shelter in place,” or “lockdown”, so it’s important to focus on each individual country (or in my case, each individual state) and what their orders are.

mguillen

MGuillen
Camino(s) past & future
Hi all,
Buen Camino,
MaryEllen
Based on what my girlfriend in Cadiz is saying, I agree w you maryellen

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago de Compostela
It’s an unfortunate truth that Spain will be lucky to be out of the woods by the end of a year. Destructive as it is, the aftermath will be no less restrictive than now. My personal prediction is yet another year before the Camino is reinstated. Anyone caring for their health will do well to be very cautious, regardless of how the optimists say we’re all good to go. If you give it some serious thought, you can only come to the same conclusion I did.......nothing this serious or virulent disappears that quickly. Do not believe The propaganda coming out of China, they are far from being out of the woods yet.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2019)
I think that we have to keep in mind that the baselines are very different in each country. Spain has “eased restrictions” to allow construction workers to go to work, but in my state, though we have a shelter in place order, construction workers have always been allowed to go to work. I don’t think there is any universally accepted definition of “stay at home,” “shelter in place,” or “lockdown”, so it’s important to focus on each individual country (or in my case, each individual state) and what their orders are.
Oxford University has collected data and published a Corona virus government response intensity tracker that allows a level of comparison between different countries (but not different USA states). The tracker is available here: https://www.bsg.ox.ac.uk/research/research-projects/coronavirus-government-response-tracker

They also show some maps coloured by broad ranges of intensity so that it is easier to pick out countries and compare them. Sweden shows up as the least intense European country (as expected), the USA and Australia show up as more intense than Sweden but less intense than most European countries, which show up as the most intense.

Of course, there are differences between countries that don't show up at this broad scale with NZ (and some others) showing as 100 on the 0 to 100 scale.

Gene_781

Camino(s) past & future
Camino francés, Camino portugués (Tui), Pilgrims Welcome Office, hospitalero 8 times
The American Pilgrims on the Camino website has a page: COVID-19 - What you should know. Relative to the subject of this thread, I would stress going to official and reliable sources in Spain. That page has a link to the English language edition of El País but this is it: https://english.elpais.com. The lead article, dated April 18th, contains this paragraph:

Among the changes to the current conditions announced by the prime minister today were opportunities for children to leave the home under controlled circumstances from April 27. He also said that he would seek approval in Congress to extend the current state of alarm – which was first implemented on March 14 – to May 9, and that from May 11, there would be a “cautious and progressive” deescalation of confinement measures.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 326 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock