• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spain is not the boonies!

acdbee

Time of past OR future Camino
september 2013
Hi,
I've just been reflecting on a few threads and something that my soon-to-be-companion-pilgrims and I have been marvelling over: Spain is not the boonies!

I live in the Yukon, in Canada. When we hike here, we MUST plan for every contingency, or risk having to be flown out of the wilderness before we want to be. So we bring the bug hat, bug spray, bug shirt (lots of bugs up here in the summer), ACE bandage, water purifyer, pots, pans, fire kit, stove, sleeping bag, matches, extra clothes, BIG first aid kit, thermorest, warmer coat, kitchen sink...you get the picture.

In Spain, I must continually remind my companion, we will not be in the wilderness. There are STORES! RESTAURANTS! You don't have to fish or hunt or gather your dinner (charming though that is sometimes)! WARM places to sleep WITH MATTRESSES! There are BARS! WINE!

WAHOO! :D

So, yay. I guess I'm getting a bit excited about starting...SJPP September 6th, weather permitting.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi acdbee,

Was in Victoria , BC , and heard the rangers telling people from the States that they don't bring water to walk the RIM , its already in BC.
Why people take very good clothes on the camino's i can't fathom
Take the old golf polo etc and when you discard them please shop in these beautiful areas.

Do they realise GANT manufacture is just the boarder in Portugal , or the best shops in the world are one hour away in Paris and/or Madrid

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back