• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Spain Is Now the Safest EU Destination (Oct 31, 2021)

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

YMMV

Your Mileage May Vary
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (had made reservations for 2020...)
It's reassuring to see Spain heading in the right direction.

From SchengenVisaInfo.com »
The latest update of maps by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) has shown that Spain is currently the safest European Union destination to travel to amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Based on the figures that have been published by ECDC, the majority of Spain’s territory is coloured green, which makes the country a safe destination for those who want to travel there during the autumn and winter breaks, SchengenVisaInfo.com reports.

Currently, all of the following regions of Spain are placed on the green list:

Galicia
Asturias
Cantabria
Basque Country
La Rioja
Castile and Leon
Extremadura
Andalusia

The rest of the article can be found here.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Spanish people and the authorities worked very hard to get to this point. I commend them for this achievement. Would that things were taken as seriously in my own land.

When I was at Santiago for a few weeks this September, I actually felt safer there than at home.

Last edited:
Having been in Spain and Portugal for the past 1.5 months, it DEFINITELY feels safer than in the US. The only person I have interacted with that was not vaccinated was actually an American… 😞

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was constantly impressed with the number of people wearing masks when walking around town. Definitely required in every shop.
Hmmm…. I spent only 10 days walking on the France’ but I did spend five weeks in Santiago. And now that you mention it (masks), in retrospect, I’m impressed with the number of people walking around town without the mask and they still received the highest award. Wow!

Walking the Camino Frances and Fisterra were much safer for us over the last two months than staying home in Canada. It was reassuring to know that Spain does not have the rabid antivaxxers we have in North America. One of our co-pilgrims broke her arm in a fall and we went with her to the hospital in Lugo. While we were there I noted there was no one in their COVID ER, which is very different than ER's on the west side of the Atlantic.

The Spanish people and the authorities worked very hard to get to this point. I commend them for this achievement. Would that things were taken as seriously in my own land.

When I was at Santiago for a few week this September, I actually felt safer there than at home.
Agree totally! The Netherlands as of today has reinstated mask use inside and an increased use of a QR code in cafés, restaurants, theatres etc but 13% of the adult population is refusing to get vaccinated.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

When I was at Santiago for a few week this September, I actually felt safer there than at home.
Same!

Recommendations from the US State department:

Spain: Level 3: Reconsider Travel
Portugal: Level 3: Reconsider Travel
UK: Level 4: Do Not Travel

-Paul

Recommendations from the US State department:

Spain: Level 3: Reconsider Travel
Portugal: Level 3: Reconsider Travel
UK: Level 4: Do Not Travel

-Paul
I don't put much stock in those State Department warnings, especially considering this
Screenshot_20211107-134914_Firefox.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back