• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spain, now the healthiest country in the world.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I find that hard to believe given the very large numbers of smokers in Spain, nor just older people but of all ages.
Thats not the only thing they look at...

Although Spain is known for smoking, drinking a lot of wine, and staying up late, their everyday diet and lifestyle choices sets them above the rest. Spain’s diet is a Mediterranean diet filled with healthy fats and legumes, and less red meat and processed foods. Spaniards also eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and walk almost everywhere that they can. Spain has the highest percentage of walkers in Europe, with 37% of them walking to work instead of driving (only 6% of Americans walk to work). Additionally, Spain’s universal healthcare program is very successful, and they have managed to lower their rate of preventable deaths to 45.4 preventable deaths per 100,000 inhabitants.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's walking everywhere. Taking time for family. Doing physical labour. Eating good food, slowly and in a relaxed way. Treating the job as a means to an end, and not an end in itself. Meeting friends every afternoon in the plaza. If you are old, still meeting friends in the plaza every afternoon (or the cafe each morning). Knowing your kids will receive an education equal to that of the rich family down the road. Universal health care. Good, affordable, dentists.

That's my totally unscientific assessment!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As noted, still a lot of smoker's in Spain, but you don't see anywhere close to the level of obesity that you see in Canada and the US. Yes, you see over weight people in Spain, but very few obese.
Even with the higher level of smoking, overall they seem very physically active. It seems to work for them.

Actually surprising, not just from the smoking aspect, but also the cuisine. Spanish food is often very high in fat and many dishes only have patatas fritas as a vegetable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have lived in Spain a long way away from any pilgrim menu and I still see the food as generally high in fat and lacking in vegetables. Not saying you can't get healthier food of course. Maybe the Spanish eat better at home, but they do love their french fries and steak!

Actually surprising, not just from the smoking aspect, but also the cuisine. Spanish food is often very high in fat and many dishes only have patatas fritas as a vegetable.
In rural Galicia caldo galego (grelos or berzas ) is still an every day food.
In this food the vegetables remain consistent after cooking. Nothing to do with caldos served at restaurants on the Camino where vegetables usually appear diluted and almost invisible. They do it that way to ensure more acceptance from non local customers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I remember walking on the CF and following a group of elderly woman that had just gotten off a bus. They were carrying their heavy bags of groceries up the steep hill to home. They pushed to the top like there was no hill there. I never seen anything like that in Canada.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am still perplexed at all the shops with hats, because it means that there are loads of elderly gentlemen who buy them...and they are literally everywhere...shuffling their feet, yeees... but at their own accord...

I studied abroad for 10 months in Salamanca in 2010-2011 and lived with a Spanish family, and they always ate very well. The only fried thing I can think of is croquetas occasionally. There were always three courses including bread (Naturally, you can't have a meal without bread in Spain!), but the family members always took extremely small portions of each course. And dessert was always fruit (except on birthdays, we got little pastries or a small individual sized cake).

Also, back then I saw very few Spanish people exercising outside, and they were always men. I always felt conscious of that when I'd go out running. That is something that seems to have changed significantly. When I walked the Camino del Norte in 2018, I saw lots of women outside running in addition to men, so I think an exercise culture is also catching on in Spain. I have no surveys to back this up, of course!

Also, I think universal health care plays a huge role in this ranking--they have a low percentage of preventable deaths because no one needs to hesitate to go to a doctor or call an ambulance if they need help.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I find that hard to believe given the very large numbers of smokers in Spain, nor just older people but of all ages.
I agree and with all the nightlife and partying it's hard to believe, plus they eat too much.

Thats not the only thing they look at...

Although Spain is known for smoking, drinking a lot of wine, and staying up late, their everyday diet and lifestyle choices sets them above the rest. Spain’s diet is a Mediterranean diet filled with healthy fats and legumes, and less red meat and processed foods. Spaniards also eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, and walk almost everywhere that they can. Spain has the highest percentage of walkers in Europe, with 37% of them walking to work instead of driving (only 6% of Americans walk to work). Additionally, Spain’s universal healthcare program is very successful, and they have managed to lower their rate of preventable deaths to 45.4 preventable deaths per 100,000 inhabitants.
man you definitely haven't done many Caminos I saw the opposite they eat much red meat and a lot of potatoes and frying. Med. is a false. Mind you I love their beef very tender.

man you definitely haven't done many Caminos I saw the opposite they eat much red meat and a lot of potatoes and frying. Med. is a false. Mind you I love their beef very tender.
Possibly what's eaten at home is different than what we see on restaurant menus.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Not sure but...Peter may have done a reasonable number of Caminos 🙄

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back