• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spain real estate on the rebound?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Select real estate is probably rising but Spain like a number of European countries has entered a deflationary period not unlike what Japan experienced for the past few decades whereby prices and wages have fallen significantly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Select real estate is probably rising but Spain like a number of European countries has entered a deflationary period not unlike what Japan experienced for the past few decades whereby prices and wages have fallen significantly.
Name your source! Spain is on an incredible rebound and where I live it it far from the truth, the only issue is youth unemployment. Cash is still king here and unlike north america most people here are not saddled with mortgages and credit card debts. If I am correct one can buy a property in Spain for 250m Euros and get a resident's visa.

Name your source! Spain is on an incredible rebound and where I live it it far from the truth, the only issue is youth unemployment. Cash is still king here and unlike north america most people here are not saddled with mortgages and credit card debts. If I am correct one can buy a property in Spain for 250m Euros and get a resident's visa.

It is called a Golden Visa ...targeted to the one percent that can afford to drop the monies into real estate to buy a residence visa...

Spain is about to kick off its program, setting the minimum property investment at €500.000 in exchange for a one-year visa, renewable every two years after that. The Bank of Spain reports that foreign investment in the Spanish property market has increased during the economic crisis, mainly due to the sharp fall in prices.

What these types of visas do along with generate plenty of cash for the government is push the value of high end real estate up significantly while the mid and low range real estate either falls or stagnates. It is becoming a world wide issue - we are seeing here in North America, in those European countries that offer this type of visa, in parts of SE Asia, etc.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is my personal view from everyday life on the street.
Draghi is doing everything he can do to lower the value of the Euro because it helps with exports and encourages tourism. He will continue to do so even as the right wing parties are trying to derail the EU. The recent vote was a joke in that only 57% of the people voted, the other 43% are satisfied with the status quo, it was much like a US mid term election even though the stakes were a bit higher.
The naysayers from North America are spinning a story about economic weakness here that simply is not true. My cost to living here for 8 months is actually more manageable than it is in the US. Granted I pay about 4x for gas, but I drive less and take a bus when parking in town is an issue and a bus is there when I need it. My other living expense are comparably less and the escalation in grocery prices I experienced last winter in Florida have proved to be non-existent in France.
I ask you, why are so many people coming here for vacations or walking the Camino? Perhaps because it is less expensive than the alternative offered in the US and other parts of the world?
Is there is a hidden agenda with the talking heads at Bloomberg and CNBC to diss the economy in Europe? Sure there is, they are afraid the American economic model is under attack. Just look at all the proposed merger activities of late.
By the way, the 1% comment makes no sense. The buyers are coming from all over the world and Spain seems to be willing to deal with the xenophobia that the rest of Europe is fighting.
That's all I have to say and I really don't want to turn this forum into a political or economic battle field.

Out here on the ground, in depopulated Palencia, real estate prices are still quite low. Problem is, property available along the CF is priced at a 20 percent premium above the surrounding areas, and a foreign or "outsider" buyer is often perceived as an idiot millionaire. Thus, asking prices are outlandish. You have to come in with all your research done, money in the bank, and ready to drive a really hard bargain.

This is my personal view from everyday life on the street.
Draghi is doing everything he can do to lower the value of the Euro because it helps with exports and encourages tourism.

Is there is a hidden agenda with the talking heads at Bloomberg and CNBC to diss the economy in Europe? Sure there is, they are afraid the American economic model is under attack. Just look at all the proposed merger activities of late.

By the way, the 1% comment makes no sense. The buyers are coming from all over the world and Spain seems to be willing to deal with the xenophobia that the rest of Europe is fighting.

The value of the Euro isn't the issue. The problem is the Spanish € versus the German € etc. If it's not clear most Eurozone trade is within the zone. A weaker € isn't a huge gain. It might stop the odd European tourist flying into NYC but in general it won't be a big saviour.

What Europe is engaged in is an internal devaluation. For anybody who doesn't understand that they should look it up.

Your second point is strange. Most of Europe is engaged in Tea Party economics. Screwing the working class in the process. The Americans critical of the European "solution" are almost totally on the left or far left of the political spectrum.

Spains 25+% unemployment is masked by all the people leaving the country or dropping out of the work force. If you ignore the official unemployment rate and look at broader measures less then 20% of Spanish youth have a job.

You really think ordinary people are dropping €500k cash plus all the other expenses? Really?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ordinary people are not dropping the big bucks and getting a visa in exchange, but Russian and Chinese and Middle Eastern oligarchs are making good use of their mysterious cash reserves in the Spanish property market, and getting a fresh passport in the bargain.

Ordinary people are not dropping the big bucks and getting a visa in exchange, but Russian and Chinese and Middle Eastern oligarchs are making good use of their mysterious cash reserves in the Spanish property market, and getting a fresh passport in the bargain.
Ireland, under a corrupt government in the eighties, offered the same deal to our arab neighbours, for a million in "investment" they got an Irish passport. Some things never change.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back