• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spain to face coldest summer for 200 years?

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Numerous retorts are appearing explaining the the colder than normal temperatures most of us have been experiencing while on the camino. Seems like it might be start of trend...

Spring in Spain has so far been very changeable, with warm sunshine, but chilly to cold winds and cloudy days. Seems like that trend will continue into summer, according to a French weather channel, Meteo.
Spain is renowned for summer heat in July and August each year. However, according to French weather channel, Meteo, the forecast is for the worst summer in western Europe since 1816, which was a year known by meteorological experts as “the year without summer”.
Sounds like we mustn't pack away our warm clothing just yet, as the weather channel reckons that there is a 70% chance of this summer being cold and wet across not only Spain, but also France, Portugal, Germany and Austria.
Meteo is forecasting that the cold maritime fronts and weak solar activity during the winter months, followed by cooler trends that have hit Spain during spring, are also going to make the summer months unusually cooler and rainy. June and July are forecast to have short periods of summer heat, and August is likely to see heavy storms.
They do, however, forecast that September and October are likely to have higher average temperatures with less rain, so it may just be a late summer this year.
Calling 1816 "the year without summer" is, apparently, no old wives' tale too. During that year France, England, Ireland and the US apparently experienced overcast skies and cold temperatures, leading to severe crop failures and food shortages during the summer months of that year.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/351008

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Glad you mention that, jirit. Lately I've had the experience of translating old rolls from the Bishopric of Winchester, which, between the early 1200s and the mid 1400s, give a picture of climate year by year as it affected their all-important agriculture. What struck me was the sudden descent into cold years in the early 1400s. In the latter 1300s, after the Black Death, the most frequent complaints concerned drought in summer and being short-handed because of so many deaths. As decades wore on, cold took a grip and people in southern England were living under a different weather regime, with cold as main enemy, though there were still some years which were favourable, and even too hot.

I don't draw any conclusions from all this, other than that the weather one experiences for a decade or two should not be regarded as a standard or norm. I'm glad you've mentioned the matter because I'm a winter walker who's had reasonable luck with weather on my caminos. I may start my next one a little further into the spring or a little earlier in the autumn, just in case. Of course, this year could be dry and hot, since nature is in the habit of laughing at predictions, but I'm glad you've made me a little cautious. We winter walkers have to watch our step. In fact, judging by the cold snap right through May on the Le Puy route in 2010, everyone might do well to pack an extra light layer, and be a bit careful around mountains, even with summer coming on.

Of course, I'll still going to hit Arles and the Norte and the VDLP, just as soon as I can!

Best

Rob

I think the"Year without Summer" 1816 was mainly due to the eruption of Tambora, which resulted in a dust cloud obscuring the sun over large parts of the world.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
SYates said:
jirit said:
Meanwhile in other parts of Europe....

Germany Austria and the Czech Republic are experiencing the worst flooding in 500 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AENfpUVshaw&sns=em

That is a bit exaggerated ;-) The floods of 2002, for example, were far worse than what we had this year in Prague. SY

Very possible that the media reports have exaggerated the situation - obviously bad news sells more papers.

However when your house is under water, it really does not matter if it is 1 meter or 10 meters under water. So I guess it really does not matter if it is the worse flooding in 500 years or this decade.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
jirit said:

However when your house is under water, it really does not matter if it is 1 meter or 10 meters under water. So I guess it really does not matter if it is the worse flooding in 500 years or this decade.

But it does make a difference if 10 or 10,000 houses in a country are flooded ;-)

Pace e Bene, SY (who lives in Prague)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.