• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spain topo map?

505badgolfer

Time of past OR future Camino
frances 2021
I'm doing the camino frances in late April. I have downloaded the individual stage gpx files into my Garmin Etrex . Any recommendations on whether I should also download a Spain topo map? If yes, any recommendations on which topo map to get? Thanks very much.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@505badgolfer, on the Frances, you won't need that Garmin at all, at least not for finding your way. You may want the data, but that's another thing.
Likewise with the topo maps. If you like them and are interested in what they have to show you about your surroundings, definitely download them (I would say the 1:50000 official Spanish ones from IGN that you can access here: http://www.ign.es/csw-inspire/srv/eng/conjuntodatos). But for wayfinding? No need.

Thanks VERY much for the info. I would never have found the Spanish map site on my own. Friends of mine who have hiked the camino frances have said it's pretty hard to get lost. I wanted to bring the Garmin so that I know about how far I am from waypoints.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am one who loves maps, orienteering, while on the Camino I always carry an un-needed compass but one given to me by my father 60 years ago, one who is frustrated by the Brierley guides due to the mis-orientation of the maps ,Our fellow pilgrims from Germany seem to l-o-v-e topographic maps, they often walk with very detailed and exact maps showing every ascent, every descent, every bump and pothole one might encounter. Fun? Perhaps, Needed? Not really.

Another alternative for accessing the IGN topo maps is GAIA GPS. It has the Spanish IGN maps available as a free downloadable layer. We are walking in Spain right now and find ourselves using it every day for one thing or another. We have all our GPX tracks downloaded onto a master map on Gaia and can always tell where we currently are and what our alternatives are, as well as things like what the building on top of an opposite hill is or what route we might use to get around high water here in Andalucia. Very handy for explorations off a given track - more notes on the planning and resources page of our journal.
Elaine
http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/GenalValley

I'm with the previous posters, there are just so many arrows on the Frances route that you barely even need a guide book. Too much tech on the road distracts from the day, this is a pilgrimage not a hike.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You can put together a custom map just ticking the parts you want from here:

Open Street Map

1521903725104.png

because you won't need the whole of Spain (unless you get really, really lost) but, as others have said you don't need the GPS - just follow the arrows and the dusty footprints of those that preceded you!

GAIA is an interesting product. Used by smart phones . Smart phone can be operated in airplane mode because GAIA uses satellite, not phone, signals. I expect the app to provide some real competition to GARMIN in the near future..

I did some more research today on Spain topo maps. Garmin sells one for a ridiculous price of about $150. I then looked at the old reliable free gpx source of gpsfiledepot. It has a World Topo Eastern map that has many countries, including Spain. It is a BIG file that I am currently playing with on my computer. Thanks again to everyone who posted a response to my query.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back