• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spain V Portugal Caminos

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have no interest in walking the Camino Portuguese not quite sure why ? but I find Spain breathtakingly beautiful sometimes in its ordinariness and simplicity.

The Camino Portuguese lacks something I can't quite put my finger on. The scenery in my mind does not compare with Spain any comments.?
There is more than one camino in Portugal. Here is my summary of the main routes in Portugal if you want some inspiration:
The Camino de Santiago in Portugal

As for scenery on the Portuguese caminos, I’d say it can be OK.

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3479.jpeg

IMG_7244.jpeg

IMG_2936.jpeg

IMG_2827.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last edited:
There is more than one camino in Portugal. Here is my summary of the main routes in Portugal if you want some inspiration:
The Camino de Santiago in Portugal

As for scenery on the Portuguese caminos, I’d say it can be OK.

View attachment 148100

View attachment 148105

View attachment 148102

View attachment 148103

Spain but its your choice just asking
But can I ask, what is this impression based on, have you walked in Portugal?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Attachments

• VID_20190705_135931_edited.mp4
    32.9 MB
What's your focus.
I like Portugal for its architecture, food and people.
The buildings are more colorful with the bright painting and tiles.
Even the churches are more colorful imside, because of the tiles and decoration.
The cobblestones give an unique look, although can be hard on the feet.
They do great things with seafood and pastries, and the people are friendly.

Or are you just focusing on the scenery?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I do not know what you want to achieve by posting this .
One loves the mother, one loves the daughter , some love both .

If this was directed at me... I'm simply trying to establish if the OP has spent time walking a Portuguese Camino and taking in the experience as a whole, as opposed to just visiting Portugal.

I have no interest in walking the Camino Portuguese not quite sure why
One loves the mother, the other loves the daughter , some love both .
If this was directed at me... I'm simply trying to establish if the OP has spent time walking a Portuguese Camino and taking in the experience as a whole, as opposed to just visiting Portugal
I have read through this entire thread and I have found it to be utterly silly. It is obvious from the many OP posts that he really doesn't have any interest in whether or not the CP is beautiful or comparable to the CF. As @trecile stated:
You know that Spain and Portugal are part of the same peninsula, right? The landscapes don't abruptly change when you cross the border.
There OP has walked 10 caminos on the CF. No mention of any other Spanish caminos. If beauty is his guide well than he is missing out. I have walked the Camino Norte, Aragones, CP, CF, VDLP, and from Le Puy to Santiago. I can tell the OP that the Norte and the Podiensis (Le Puy Camino are prettier than the CF). I know from my 7 other caminos that there is not a pilgrim out there that has walked the San Salvador or the Primitivo and would say the CF is prettier. As @jungleboy was kind enough to send a link to all the various caminos in Portugal. I am sure, without a doubt there is beauty and splendor on each one. Of course there are drawbacks but there are on every camino.
It is unclear who @albertino was directing his post at, as @Flog was asking a perfectly reasonable question.
I am a little angry that I devoted this much time to a post that in my opinion serves no purpose whatsoever.
You have walked the CF 10 times, have you anything to compare it to? I have no idea but based on your responses a likely answer would be you have none. But again this is speculation not fact.
I will close by saying that a camino is not just scenery. It is so, so, much more than what you see. There are other senses and spirits and feelings inside our bodies, minds, and soul that our eyes can't see. the people of the three countries I have walked have all for the most part shown kindness, and generosity to me. But in my own experience I have never met, anywhere in the world that I have traveled, friendlier, kinder or more generous people than those I have met, befriended and been helped by than the people of Portugal.

Vietän reilun osan aikaa Espanjassa joka vuosi ja kävelen Camino Francis -kadulla 10. kerran tänä vuonna elokuussa, jos jumala suo.

En ole kiinnostunut kävelemään Camino Portuguesea en ole aivan varma miksi? mutta minusta Espanja on joskus henkeäsalpaavan kaunis tavallisuudessaan ja yksinkertaisuudessaan.

Camino Portuguesesta puuttuu jotain, johon en voi oikein laittaa sormeani. Maisemat mielessäni ei verrata Espanjaan mitään kommentteja.?

20220505_122121.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry for the unclearness. I did not notice I answered on the post of somebody else🫢 but of course I reacted on the OP

mea culpa , me culpa ,mea maxima culpa .
i will delete the post and post it again.
I have read some of your other posts in the past and I had a feeling there was some kind of confusion. Thanks for letting us know.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
One loves the mother, the other loves the daughter , some love both .
He probably means something on the lines of 'Chacun a son gout' (excuse lack of diacritics) or 'One man's meat is another man's poison'. As for one camino (or one country) vs another, so what? Everyone has their own preferences.

It's always pleasing to read a balanced thread.

From my own perspective, I'd agree that some of the walking between Lisbon and Porto is not great, but there are some lovely sections too and some of the towns are very special. After Porto, the Caminho Portuguese becomes really delightful. The Frances also has some more 'mundane' sections, though the Frances generally has better paths for pilgrims through these sections. Portuguese food is excellent and I fell in love with Port and Vinho Verde, which I still drink today as well as red wines from Setubal. So, the Caminho and the Camino are both (all) amazing in my opinion.

Asking for comments to the assertion that the Camino Portugues can't hold a candle to the Camino Frances and then responding that one has no interest in considering the Portugues seems a little disingenuous to me - just looking for an argument one has no interest in engaging with. I'm not sure how productive that is.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can’t remember I ever walked there on the Coastal but there are some parts who are comparable with this situation among others around Lisbon nearby Vila Franca de Xira Golega, out of Porto on the Central route, nearby Barcelos and notorious is the part of the road approaching Arcade nearby Redondela.

I am curious about where this vid was taken .

I never should walk at that side of the road , the traffic approaching me from behind . Then I should walk at the other side, seeing the traffic approaching towards me.
we always take fluorescent yellow safety jackets with us. They weigh nothing and take hardly any place in the backpack and in this situation they are very usefull.
beside that we always use poles and when a car comes to close point with pole to them. Portuguese drivers I admit are devils behind the steering wheel. They drive very fast and take lots of risks overtaking on two lane roads l
The Video was taken outside of Redondela. There are warning signs saying to be careful. It is a very busy road with tons of trucks. But is one of many roads you walk on the coastal. You may have missed it, if you changed to the central midway. I wish we had.

IMG_1856.jpeg

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.