• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spain's economic pain continues

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Spain's powers to be are getting creative in their desire to find more money.

Seems a whole host of new fines and fees are surfacing in different towns and cities designed to collect money from various victims.

Beware

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The people of Spain are learning a hard, deserved lesson. Vote in a right wing government called the People's Party, and watch the people who are least responsible and least able to afford to pay for the economic failures get squeezed even more.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The article points out some examples of recent new fees and fines that have been levied against citizens of various towns and cities.

Some of fines are understandable, others not - like still charging mothers for school lunches, that the mothers themselves have made for their kids' lunches (in order to save costs).

I am not sure if or when it might impact pilgrims walking the camino.

But it is not hard to imagine that fees for certain places or events or activities rising significantly and a two tier pricing structure (much like you see in other European countries) come into effect. A lower price for locals and a higher price for tourists - not that I am personally against this last example, since I believe this is fair in many situations.

After walking the via de la plata and seeing first hand billions of euros being used to build high speed rail that few in Spain can afford to use (unless it discounted significantly), that is destroying some of the smaller towns along the way, then reading about mothers being charged for lunches they made...

... I can not help personally find the situation sad - that it demonstrates in my opinion the lack of imaginative visionary thinking by public officials required to get Spain out of its current economic situation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The people of Spain are learning a hard, deserved lesson. Vote in a right wing government called the People's Party, and watch the people who are least responsible and least able to afford to pay for the economic failures get squeezed even more.

i am saddened to see spain in the crisis they are in now. i have seen right wing government (aznar), left wing government (zapatero), then right wing government (rajoy) replaced one another, but nothing has change. the victims are the proud people of spain. there is a lesson to be learned, you can not trust the politicians.

i sincerely hope spain will pulled out of this crisis, but realistically i wonder how? i hope the peregrino community can be more generous in helping out the small pueblos on the camino routes.

god bless.

Piogaw, your point is very well taken. My previous comment is too simplistic. This is a crisis that transcends all main (left-right) political parties in Spain, and extends well beyond the Spanish border. I guess the current govt will always be an easy target. In my view Spain's woes are a manifestation of a badly broken global market economy paradigm and banking system that desperately require a radical rethink and overhaul, if not too late for that. Clearly the status quo is not working.

All we can do as pilgrims is support the local Camino economy as best we can. I feel relatively good about the fact I was able to inject more into the Camino economy than most pilgrims. I understand that pilgrims have their own economic limits, but I'm glad I was able to help a lot of family hostals, pensions (private rooms), bars and restaurants, rather than paying the bare minimum for albergue lodging and cooking 30 cent spaghetti every night at an albergue kitchen. I sense that some fellow pilgrims often scoff at the suggestion of staying at anywhere other than albergues, but those other places are often the economic hearts of those little pueblo communities.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I totally agree with Piogaw. It's not a problem about which party is in the government. I think that the problem is deeper and rooted in the history of this country. But I don't want to talk about all this sadness here. I only say that Spain is now, overall, a country of services and tourism. So every pilgrim coming from abroad should be very welcomed.

Spain used the EEC money injection for a construction boom on the theory that production creates its own demand. The problem is that the demand was for food and consumer items, not the housing that they could not afford. The result was many projects like the one at the golf course near Ciruena, which is a ghost town. Giving money at the top of the food chain did not work. So much for trickle-down economics.

Pilgrims inject money at the bottom of the food chain. It goes to the owner-operator of the restaurant, supermercado and albergue. I think it is much more effective in improving the economy. When those folks make enough, maybe they can buy one of those condos that the construction workers could not afford. Some of the new homes in places like Santa Catalina de Samoza are spectacular, and I would bet they belong to the albergue owners...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back