• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanair accident at the Madrid airport

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Terrible! The death toll is rising. On our early news they said 100 people had died but now they are saying 149 people have died. The plane was bound for the Canary Islands.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's been really terrible.

You can't imagine the answer from all TV channels the same day of the accident, family from people who were travelling in that plane, everything ... really terrible.

It's been the worst accident during the last 25 years in Madrid (since that horrible one in 1,983)

Buen Camino, definitely walking, not flying

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

From Spanish Fiestas newsletter:

This is the 5th major plane tragedy in the last 30 years in Spain:

27 March 1977
583 people died in Los Rodeos, Tenerife, after two Boeing 747s collide - one Pan Am, one KLM.

23 April 1980
146 people died near Los Rodeos, Tenerife, when a Dan Air Boeing 727 crashed while attempting to land.

27 November 1983
181 people died, 11 survived, when an Avianca Boeing 747 crashed in the village of Mejorada del Campo, near Madrid, on its way to Barajas aiport.

19 February 1985
148 died when an Iberia Boeing 727 crashed into a TV mast near Bilbao.

20 August 2008
153 people died and 19 were seriously injured when a Spanair MD-82 plane skidded off the runway on take-off at Madrid's Barajas airport.

In spite of the horror of this accident it is still the case that flying is an exceptionally safe form of transport. In 1979 there were three fatal accidents per million flights, compared with one fatal accident per two million flights by last year, according to International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) figures. Spanair had an exceptional safety record prior to this accident and airline safety worldwide is now considered to be six times better than it was 25 years ago.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back