• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Spanish Airport Strikes have started and one has ended

laineylainey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
started in 2012, hooked ever since.
Hi, wondering if anyone flying over Easter has been able to find any advice from airlines about the proposed ground staff strike starting April 20th affecting all Spanish airports?
I was going to fly out tomorrow for a short 10 day walk returning Sevilla to Dublin 20th April (Easter Saturday), but now not sure.
Apparently the strike from the 20th could be indefinite. Anyone got any information?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the heads up! I am probably seeing the same news sources you are, but it looks like a complicated mess. Strikes by pilots, security personnel and ground crews all at once.

Pilot strike is apparently the most concrete, and has been announced for these days in April:
15, 16, 17, 22, 23 and 24. But it looks like only Air Nostrum, which I think is an Iberia subsidiary.

Ground crews’ union is announcing strikes from April 20 onward.

Security personnel in Barajas have announced an indefinite strike from April 12 onward.

This could really create a nightmare for a lot of peregrinos, so I will try to keep an eye out for updates.

I have just had a reply from Ryanair. No advice only, " we will email you of any changes", which I understand given the uncertainty of the situation, but I want advice!!
Now I have to decide whether to go tomorrow and try to forget about the potential possibility of not getting back on planned date or cancelling. Difficult one (for me!).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ah well, I cancelled yesterday just in case I couldn't get home on the 20th. It's just one of those things, and tomorrow I will think about re-planning, I just wanted to see those Spring flowers but God willing there is next year!

Ah well, I cancelled yesterday just in case I couldn't get home on the 20th. It's just one of those things, and tomorrow I will think about re-planning, I just wanted to see those Spring flowers but God willing there is next year!
Aw! So sorry, lainey lainey. I guess it was too much of an anxiety. I thought of suggesting you take a bus back, but thought that might give you a stroke! I just hope it will be all sorted before July. So you could do the Lough Derg one on another thread, posted today. Or head down along the Barrow Way...very contemplative. You just need to organise your bandb though, unless you are brave enough to do tenting.

I bet won’t happen. They announce strikes every year, then they settle

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just found your thread Elaine.
I know the planning you’ve put into this walk and now the cancellations you’ve got ahead of you.
You’ve chosen ‘peace of mind ‘ though . You would have wondered each day walking, whether you would have been stranded at the end.
Others might ‘wing it’ if they have different responsibilities waiting at home.
Maybe you might add to your upcoming ‘ September section’
Buen Camino
Annie

Just found your thread Elaine.
I know the planning you’ve put into this walk and now the cancellations you’ve got ahead of you.
You’ve chosen ‘peace of mind ‘ though . You would have wondered each day walking, whether you would have been stranded at the end.
Others might ‘wing it’ if they have different responsibilities waiting at home.
Maybe you might add to your upcoming ‘ September section’
Buen Camino
Annie
Thanks Annie. Please keep in touch and let me know how your walk is going? It's sunny here in Fermanagh today so I hope the sun is shining on you today in Almaden?
Buen Camino xx

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Aw! So sorry, lainey lainey. I guess it was too much of an anxiety. I thought of suggesting you take a bus back, but thought that might give you a stroke! I just hope it will be all sorted before July. So you could do the Lough Derg one on another thread, posted today. Or head down along the Barrow Way...very contemplative. You just need to organise your bandb though, unless you are brave enough to do tenting.
Thanks Kirkie.

Security personnel in Barajas have started their indefinite strike. As I understand it, there will be some minimal service. If you will be flying out of Madrid, make sure to get there many hours ahead of time. Some pictures in these articles.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We arrive this Sunday in Madrid, but don’t depart until May 7th out of Santiago to Dublin. So I assume arrivals aren’t as big of an issue. We’re connecting with ALSA to Ponferrada on Sunday. At least the bus company isn’t striking.

Last edited:
Does France usually jump on board with these strikes? Canadian Katy and I are flying into Paris on April 26th and will train our way to SJPP. (We hope) We'll do a Camino version of the movie "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" before I miss this trek. I need this!!

This year I'm flying into Paris and home from Porto. Hopefully the French don't decide to have a train strike again this year. 😏

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh gosh!
We fly in to Madrid from Johannesburg next Wednesday - with Iberia!
And have to get connecting flight to Vigo same day! I'm holding alllll my thumbs now!

Ground crew strike has been called off.

But that still leaves the strike of security personnel in Madrid and the Air Nostrum strike.
I haven’t seen anything since a few days ago on those strikes, so maybe things are manageable. But anyone leaving from Madrid while the strike is ongoing should add several hours and bring a good book.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The threatened strikes of ground handling staff at Spanish airports, scheduled for 21 and 24 April, have been called off. So I can proceed as planned, after all!

Glenshiro...........great news as i fly out on Tuesday to Seville .

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Security personnel in Madrid still on strike unless someone has more recent info.

The AENA website still lists an “important announcement” that you should plan for extended delays checking in due to the strike (AENA stands for Aeropuertos Españoles y Navigación Area, the national aviation agency, I think). Anyone transferring from outside of Spain to an internal flight will also have to go through security.

Luckily, there are probably more forum members arriving in Madrid than leaving these days.

Last edited:
Back