• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish army base

Lurch

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (parts of) 2018, 2021
I am trying to locate a base somewhere between Burgos and Logrono. Can’t seem to find it in Google maps, so will try here. Anyone run across it? Is it on, or close to, the Camino Frances? Thanks for any assistance...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am trying to locate a base somewhere between Burgos and Logrono. Can’t seem to find it in Google maps, so will try here. Anyone run across it? Is it on, or close to, the Camino Frances? Thanks for any assistance...
Love these unusual requests! Try the army's website, which has a locator for all installations in Spain. You click on the province and it will bring up the facilities in that province. http://www.ejercito.mde.es/unidades/index.html

Is this the one, @Lurch ? http://www.ejercito.mde.es/en/unidades/Burgos/raca11/Localizacion/index.html It's just outside Burgos, and just a few km off the Camino Frances. The Camino passes the edge of their land and you can sometimes hear artillery fire. The base entrance is on the N120 a few km from where one of the alternative routes into Burgos meets/crosses it. The N120 at this point is called the Carretera de Logrono. Their web page has a handy map and directions!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe you are thinking of the old military base near Vertice Matagrade...the weird spiral of rocks, monuments, with distance marker....also I thought that the WWI style tangle wire was outlawed because of the potential harm to wildlife.

Attachments

• Vertice Matagrande.JPG
    Vertice Matagrande.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 48
As you walk between Atapuerca and Burgos the Camino path borders a military installation of some kind to the southwest. It is fenced with signs marking it as a military installation.

Maybe you are thinking of the old military base near Vertice Matagrade...the weird spiral of rocks, monuments, with distance marker....also I thought that the WWI style tangle wire was outlawed because of the potential harm to wildlife.
That's just regular barbed wire. Very much in use in the military. I got tasked with laying out that and the razor wire as well when I was in the army. It came in big, heavy rolls and we had special gloves for handling it.
That section in the photo is in much disarray. That must be an abandoned section for it to not be maintained.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It may be after the town of Ages. It is referenced in Brierley's book.

Attachments

• IMG_20160923_094648964_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160923_094648964_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Nothing that I know of - but there must be one close to Leon because I had to wait in line for all the soldiers to finish doing their wash at the E.LeClerc laundromat!

That's just regular barbed wire. Very much in use in the military.

The section in my picture has double row full bared wire...I asked myself, "For what...we are in the middle of nowhere?"...but you can see some large animal (maybe a cow) got caught and took it down...in Colorado any wildlife that gets stuck in bared wire are shot...but the section of tangle wire that really bothered me was the triple row bared wire...first single bared wire at 12" high...with a second single bared wire at 24" high...and a then third row of full wire 36" high...running animals trip on the ankle or knee wire and get tangled in the waist high full wire...I was traveling with a Vietnam Vet that saw the the triple row wire and started telling war stories.

Attachments

• Vertice Matagrande.JPG
    Vertice Matagrande.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 22
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is this the one, @Lurch ? http://www.ejercito.mde.es/en/unidades/Burgos/raca11/Localizacion/index.html It's just outside Burgos, and just a few km off the Camino Frances. The Camino passes the edge of their land and you can sometimes here artillery fire. The base entrance is on the N120 a few km from where one of the alternative routes into Burgos meets/crosses it. The N120 at this point is called the Carretera de Logrono. Their web page has a handy map and directions!

That’s the one. When I used their site and clicked on the map it turned into an aerial shot of the base, so I was using Google maps to follow the 120 and never did locate it. I was in the 11th Marines in the Nam, an artillery regiment. As this is also an artillery regiment, the 11th, I thought I would show the flag, as it were.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for all your replies. Found it with your help and will plan at least trying to stop by. Maybe get a cheap room for the nite. Not sure what the SOFA is for Spain.

Lurch, I am sure they will appreciate it because the camino is embedded in their culture and practices. This thread reminds me of the time I left Fromista and was overtaken on the edge of town by a troop of uniformed armed forces, mostly males but also two females. I wished them buen camino as they passed thinking I might raise a smile never imagining that I was greeting fellow pilgrims. I did get a touch nervous when a soldier dropped back to talk to me because I thought I may have overstepped the mark. No need for nerves. He was an absolutely delightful young man with very good English. He was the second in charge and his little troop of soldiers really were walking the camino to Santiago. They walked daily, carrying small packs and doing long distances. They were collected at the end of each day, driven back to barracks and driven out again the next morning to resume their camino. Just one of my happy memories. Thanks for reminding me of it.
Buen camino
Heda

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I remember that spot well - was thinking at the time that the solution to a failed fence seemed to be to build another one in front of it...

But maybe there was a larger story that I was not aware of...

Thank you ahead. Too many years in uniform to just pass by without stopping.

Besides, I hear they have good coffee. Never turned down a chance to have a few cups with a colleague, even with language difficulties. Or a friend I meet on the Camino. Salud!

Is this the one, @Lurch ? http://www.ejercito.mde.es/en/unidades/Burgos/raca11/Localizacion/index.html It's just outside Burgos, and just a few km off the Camino Frances. The Camino passes the edge of their land and you can sometimes hear artillery fire. The base entrance is on the N120 a few km from where one of the alternative routes into Burgos meets/crosses it. The N120 at this point is called the Carretera de Logrono.
That’s what I was thinking too. Here’s that base in Google Maps.

Base Militar Cid Campeador
https://goo.gl/maps/aMgnQ1ZiUDH2

7A4577AD-D532-4988-B13E-3221D8565980.jpeg

I was told by a Spanish army officer that there was a military veterinary hospital near Burgos. I don't know much more than this.

That’s the one I remember. Rocky ground. Wire fence.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back