• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Bible

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
I know religion is a taboo topic, but I think this should be OK.
I have a Bible app on my phone with a Spanish Bible (NVI). I've been reading it in the hopes of improving my Spanish but I am wondering if this is like reading the King James in English (ie right language but not exactly as it is spoken today)
Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have a Bible app on my phone with a Spanish Bible (NVI). I've been reading it in the hopes of improving my Spanish but I am wondering if this is like reading the King James in English (ie right language but not exactly as it is spoken today)
this NVI version is a new international version. Personal for my self I would choose a version that is more approved for my specific traditional Roman Catholic. But then you need to find what you are really looking for in a Bible version. And yes I believe rules on this site do not tend to be too specific on religious topics that get too heated and argumentative. Have a great Camino, and remember to be kind and sharing with other pilgrims; such as food drink and assistance.

First of all religion is by no means a taboo topic on the Camino. The Camino is first and foremost a Catholic pilgrimage but no exclusive to just Catholics or Christians.

I found reading the Bible in Spainish a great way to learn.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
this NVI version is a new international version. Personal for my self I would choose a version that is more approved for my specific traditional Roman Catholic. But then you need to find what you are really looking for in a Bible version. And yes I believe rules on this site do not tend to be too specific on religious topics that get too heated and argumentative. Have a great Camino, and remember to be kind and sharing with other pilgrims; such as food drink and assistance.

I find the daily readings useful

I find the daily readings very useful

Attachments

• 189A4245-8F0A-45B4-B445-40082291AB0A.jpeg
    189A4245-8F0A-45B4-B445-40082291AB0A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
First of all religion is by no means a taboo topic on the Camino. The Camino is first and foremost a Catholic pilgrimage but no exclusive to just Catholics or Christians.

It may not be a taboo topic on the Camino but it is one kept within pretty tight limits here on this forum. Though I do not think that should be an issue for the moderators if people confine themselves to answering the original question about the tone and style of the language in this particular translation rather than entering into arguments about its theological merits or deficiencies.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't think any bible will be translated to the common language you use on the street, in your office or even at the university. You don't expect that with Shakespeare or Lord of the Rings, do you?
If your motivation is not so religious, reading the many spanish websites about "the Way" should be more practical (current language and the topics you will need most while walking). You should stay away from Chrome while reading spanish websites, since it asks always to translate anything ;).

I don't think any bible will be translated to the common language you use on the street, in your office or even at the university. You don't expect that with Shakespeare or Lord of the Rings, do you?
Thanks for your reply. I presume you are talking about only Spanish Bibles - certainly there ARE a number of English translations and paraphrases in contemporary language. It was actually the fact that the Spanish one I am reading sounds so like the King James that I am wondering if I am reading archaic language (and should not speak the same way).
For me it’s not an either/or proposition - I’m reading the Bible AND other materials as well.
As for modern Shakespeare, well THAT is exactly how I first introduced my kids to Shakespeare (Charles and Mary Lamb have done a great selection and also Leon Garfield)
This has made me remember our children’s Bibles (simplified retelling)...off to google if there are similar Spanish versions!

Mi' PM es, Su pm! 😍 🥰
My door is ALWAYS open to those who are believers or, truly have a seeking corazon.

This has made me remember our children’s Bibles (simplified retelling)...off to google if there are similar Spanish versions!
We have a Spanish Bible, not a childrens' re-telling but a full Bible. It is 'Dios Habla Hoy' and dates from our days in N Argentina. It was a 'modern' translation 40 years ago. I am not sure of the publisher but American missionaries gave a copy to each of us English missionary families and one for each pastor. An unexpected truly generous gift as they were quite expensive and beyond the price the pastors could have paid. They had them sent from home so probably printed in America at the time.
[Edit] @TerryB has just found it online at www.bibliatodo.com/la-biblia/version/Dios-habla-hoy :)

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back