• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Camino Music – Selection No. 4

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
Today something really special.

Joaquin Rodrigo’s Concerto De Aranjuez - Adagio - for Guitar and Orchestra.

Born in 1901 and falling victim to a diphtheria epidemic when only three and a half years old, young Joaquin was left almost completely blind. After many vision restoration attempts he was completely blind. With the aid of a devoted helper and companion, Rafael Ibáñez, he was able to cope with day-to-day routines and had someone on hand who could take musical dictation and make copies of his work.

It was his Concerto De Aranjuez that promoted him to international reknown.
Here performed by Orquesta Espanola de Conciertos.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was so privileged to see Narciso Yepes on guitar at a performance of this concierto, way back when in the 70s. I am not at all well educated in music, but this piece can bring me to tears whenever I hear it. I have never heard music that so embodies melancholy as this piece does. It has its happy parts, too, but the melancholy is just so powerful.

One of my favorite recording is of the genius flamenco guitarist Paco de Lucia (RIP) taking on the lead.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Born in 1901 and falling victim to a diphtheria epidemic when only three and a half years old, young Joaquin was left almost completely blind. After many vision restoration attempts he was completely blind. With the aid of a devoted helper and companion, Rafael Ibáñez, he was able to cope with day-to-day routines and had someone on hand who could take musical dictation and make copies of his work.

Oh, thank you!!

...this piece can bring me to tears whenever I hear it. I have never heard music that so embodies melancholy as this piece does. It has its happy parts, too, but the melancholy is just so powerful.
I totally agree.

I totally agree.

The popular belief was that it was inspired by the bombing of Guernica 1937.
But in her autobiography, Rodrigo's wife Victoria eventually declared that it was both an evocation of the happy days of their honeymoon and a response to Rodrigo's devastation at the miscarriage of their first pregnancy.

Perhaps melancholy is too mild a word.
Regards
Gerard

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OK...re: Concierto de Aranjuez...set your camino slide show to the Adagio. It is the essence of Spain.

I adore the piece also, and this version's just wonderful! Thank you for the treat, gerardcarey!

For years my favorite YouTube version of the adagio features Pablo Sáinz Villegas on guitar. (I believe he's from Logroño, btw) He's appearing with the San Antonio Symphony here in Texas in a couple of weeks & he's (YAY!) scheduled to perform this on that stop.

From 2015 with Carlos Kalmar conducting the Radio & Television Orchestra of Spain:

For more beautifully plaintive Rodrigo try this link to Fantasia para un Gentilhombre. I suggest you play from 12:50, and follow through to the next movement, Danza de las Hachas - a wonderful Medieval feel.
Joaquin Rodrigo - Fantasia para un gentilhombre
This an arrangement for guitar and piano which I find particularly beautiful; it was originally scored for guitar and orchestra.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Oh, thank you!

The popular belief was that it was inspired by the bombing of Guernica 1937.
But in her autobiography, Rodrigo's wife Victoria eventually declared that it was both an evocation of the happy days of their honeymoon and a response to Rodrigo's devastation at the miscarriage of their first pregnancy.

Perhaps melancholy is too mild a word.
Regards
Gerard
I believe his wife was also deathly ill at the time. I find it astonishing that such beauty can arise out of such blackness....and the Concierto ends so triumphantly.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back