• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Camino Music – Selection No. 5

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
Today something to really knock your socks off.

Firstly,
Danzas Espanolas Op.27 – No 11 Oriental. By Enrique Granados (1867–1916)
It was in 1889 that he published his Danzas españolas which brought him international recognition.
Performed here by I Selder & E Lenhartova

Secondly, two interpretations of a piece, perfomed separately by two guitarists, in order to enable comparison of style.
Spanish Romanza The famous Romanza or Spanish Romance (also known as "Jeux Interdits").

Performed firstly by Mariya Ajic

And then an arrangement and performance by Rosalind Beall

So today's lesson is to determine which of the two performances of Romanza you admire most, and why?
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is my music...the Beall performance is MY preferred interpretation. The Ajic performance...the rubato sounds more like hesitation. This is not a difficult piece so the simpler the better sez I. I LOVE this music...but please, do not blast it from your speakers on the camino. To add...the Baell interpretation is in the ball park for Romanza regards tempo and interpretation. Perhaps it is why I prefer it. It is what I know and how I would choose to play it.

Last edited:
So today's lesson is to determine which of the two performances of Romanza you admire most, and why?

I like the Beall version better because of the variations, the timing and the flow. The Ajic version lacks flow. When performing a piece like this, which is so well known and not technically very challenging, it needs to be perfect with respect to timing and flow, otherwise it will appear almost banal. It is actually one of the first pieces you learn when studying Spanish/classical guitar – I learned it almost fifty years ago when starting on classical guitar.

The Danzas Espanolas is wonderful!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I agree! That's why I like the interpretation by John Williams: Simple and nice....

After having listened to several versions, this was the one I used to set my original slide show (first Camino, 2009) to. Presented as a meditation, the simplicity and clarity of this performance was ideal.

I enjoyed them all. THANK YOU both for sharing! Each evokes memories of different stages of walking, be it the Camino or the Grand Canyon.

I agree! That's why I like the interpretation by John Williams: Simple and nice....

I prefer the John Williams version but truly prefer to hear this again VERY rarely. My former husband and I spent a winter in Majorca on our sailboat during which time he bought a very lovely Ramirez guitar and practiced daily in the center of our small living space. It has taken some years for me to become able to enjoy this music.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
John Williams is picking away beautifully as I type. I like them all. I will not place them in order. I will try to remember where I store the links as I look forward to a feast of all your offerings, @gerardcarey, when I am wondering what to do with my time in the cold midwinter... now, to check out number 6!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back