• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Fiestas

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
When planning your camino you might want to coincide a visit to a particular village or town with a fiesta. For a calendar of fiestas in different regions go to:
http://gospain.about.com/od/spanishfest ... tivals.htm

If you are going to be near Hospital de Orbigo in the beginning of June, try to stay for the JUSTAS on the Bridge of Paso - a medieval re-enactment of a Knight defending the bridge which includes jousting tournaments, Knights and ladies in medieval garb, hundreds of colourful tents, food and reveleries that go on into the night.
The history of the bridge is linked to the memory of Don Suero de Quiñones. This gentleman of royal blood belonging to the House of Don Álvaro de Luna, challenged to fight any man from whatever part of the world who dared cross the bridge, as a sign of his love for a lady. History mixed with legend tells how, in 1434, Don Suero broke 300 spears while he fought against French, Italian, Portuguese, German and Spanish men taking up his challenge. When the Paso had ended, the men set off on a pilgrimage to Compostela.

Attachments

• Hospital de Orbigo.jpg
    Hospital de Orbigo.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 401
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I happened to reach Hospital de Orbiga at the time of the festival last year, having no idea it was on. It was an amazing colourful chaotic atmosphere. the streets of the village were lined with stalls with a Medieval theme - food, blacksmithing, leather working etc. Everyone was in a really happy, friendly party mood. As well as the main ceremony by the bridge in the evening, there was also a display that was a cross between morris dancing, cheerleading and flag waving by a group of Italians(!) throwing their flags high in the air and weaving in out of each other in intricate patterns.

I stayed in the amazing old Municipal Refugio in the main street, which has a lovely old courtyard as well as a garden out the back. I think it might be a problem finding somewhere to stay during the festival. It may be worth catching a bus or taxi up from Leon or back from Astorga.

When I left the following morning, the party was still going in the next village. There was foliage in all the streets,a sound system and around 30 people in the streets who invited me to join them in a glass of wine.

Mercury

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back