• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Home Study Course

Dale

I plan to be on the Camino in early April and at the present time I do not speak Spanish at all. English is my first language and I speak French as a second language.(Not as well as I used to) I'm looking for a home study program that would teach me some basic Spanish between now and April. Right now I'm leaning toward, "Rosetta Stone's Spanish, Spain", http://www.rosettastone.com/offer/googlepage/esp has anyone used it and did you think it was worth the price. If you have used some other method and thought it was worth while I would like to hear from you too. Unfortunately I live in a rural area and it is not possible to take Spanish Classes here.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Dale,

I got the Rosetta Stone program not to long ago and while I do think it is a great program I wish it had more basic conversation in it. I now know how to say "The woman is running, the man is jumping, the horse is eating a carrot, the man is wearing bluejeans, the women are wearing white shirts, "etc. and that is great if I come across those situations and feel the need to coment on them. But I still feel totally unprepared for basic conversation with someone. I know that my vocabulary has definitely improved and I keep thinking that at some point a light will go off in my head and it will all fall into place. Someone on this forum told me about Coffee Break Spanish. It is free and you do the lessons online. You might try that before investing in Rosetta Stone. http://www.radiolingua.com/cbs/guide-subscribe.html
I also went to Barnes and Noble and bought some flash cards and also a set of CD's that are really good. They say the Spanish word and tell you something silly to visualize for ten seconds associated with it. It really seems to work.

Artemis

Thanks Artemis I just had a look at the website and the introduction to the course. The price sure is right (FREE) although I see you could subscribe to a premium version for $16.00 per month. Thank you for the suggestion I think I will give it a try before I invest in an expensive program. I don't expect to become fluent but I would like to at least be able to converse on a basic level.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are more than welcome. Hope it works for you.

Artemis

While it is great to learn Spanish, remember that your French will potentially be extremely useful on the camino, as there are an abundance of French (and French Canadian) pilgrims

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Trudy I didn't realize there was so much out there that is free now I have two free courses to choose from or perhaps I will use both. :idea:

Thank you very much

Dale

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.