• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Immersion and the Camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (16,'17,'18)
Finisterre/Muxia( '17, '18)
Portuguese Central & Coastal ('18)
Hola, amigos. I'm looking for help in finding a Spanish Immersion class in Spain, close to the Camino or possibly near the ocean. I've read some older posts, so hope to have some updated information and recommendations. I would like to take a conversation class in August/September 2018, for one or two weeks before I walk again on the Camino. I've walked twice, and want to be able to communicate with native speakers, as a way of showing respect and improving my own skills. I found one Travel company that offers Spanish classes with some walking on the Camino Norte, called Responsible Travel and wonder if anyone has feedback about this company and/or recommendations for a senior hiker. I could take the class before I walk on my own and perhaps volunteering in September. https://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/picos-de-europa/travel-guide

I have lots of years on this planet and I'll celebrate my 72nd year on the Camino, a birthday gift I've given myself for 70 and 71 and am so excited to return and add more stories to my life and my blog, Walking Through the Ages. I'm grateful for any ideas, suggestions and information you can give me.

Muchas Gracias, Irene
Walking Through The Ages
walkingthroughtheages.com

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've had the same idea! Alas I haven't been able to do it. One of the courses I have been interested in is apple languages they seem reasonably priced, but my research has not gotten very far yet. Google reviews seem mostly positive ..www.applelanguages.com/en/learn/spanish/spain.php

Hopefully others will have more in depth answers!

Allthough it is not an answer to your primary question, this information might be interesting to you. On the internet there is a course called "language transfer" I listened to it on headphones when I was walking my trainingkilometers. In this way combining two advantages ( for me as a not-english speaker three, as I could catch up on my English) The course is in the form of a dialogue between teacher and pupil. It is not based on learning by heart but more on insight. Like the title of the course says the starting point often is the similarity of words in English and Spanish. It builds from there

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have no idea about the quality of this company (they’re an enormous chain, whether that’s good or bad), but these folks offer courses in Pamplona and San Sebastián among other places.

http://www.estudiohispanico.com/

Update: and also in Santiago!

Last edited:
Hola Irenie, I was excited when I saw your post. I have been looking for a course in Santiago while I am volunteering at the Pilgrim House in May. I have yet to find anything that fits my time in Spain. The Apple language course might work for me.
Good luck and Buen Camino

Bruce: If you are volunteering at the Pilgrim House, on Rua Nova, contact them directly. They have had local language training and can best guide you.

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bruce: If you are volunteering at the Pilgrim House, on Rua Nova, contact them directly. They have had local language training and can best guide you.

Hope this helps.
Hi Tom, I have but none of the schools have courses that fit the time I will be there. Apple language is going to let me know if they can fit private lessons into my 2 weeks there.

Hola Irenie, I’m actually doing exactly that, a Spanish immersion and walking week in the Pyrenees next month. It’s a small set up called Pyrenean Experience and sounds delightful, if a little challenging... They are in the Baztan valley near the route of the Camino Baztanés. See their website www.pyreneanexperience.com

I would love to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office, how does one get to do that?

I answered an email from APoC, American Pilgrims on the Camino, in 2015 asking for volunteers to help at the Pilgrim Office. You might contact them to see if they can help.

The Pilgrim House, pilgrimhousesantiago.com, offers support to pilgrims after their Camino, "The Pilgrim House Welcome Center is a place for pilgrims to find respite from their walk and take time to reflect."
I have spent quite a bit of time there these last several years, it just seemed right that I return to help out.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've had the same idea! Alas I haven't been able to do it. One of the courses I have been interested in is apple languages they seem reasonably priced, but my research has not gotten very far yet. Google reviews seem mostly positive ..www.applelanguages.com/en/learn/spanish/spain.php

Hopefully others will have more in depth answers!
Thank you, @AZgirl I’ll check out Apple. I’m seriously considering Responsible Travel that I mentioned in my post. Lots to consider especially most programs require pre-payment. Good luck.
Allthough it is not an answer to your primary question, this information might be interesting to you. On the internet there is a course called "language transfer" I listened to it on headphones when I was walking my trainingkilometers. In this way combining two advantages ( for me as a not-english speaker three, as I could catch up on my English) The course is in the form of a dialogue between teacher and pupil. It is not based on learning by heart but more on insight. Like the title of the course says the starting point often is the similarity of words in English and Spanish. It builds from there
Thank you, @Antonius Vaessen. I’ll check out language transfer. Buen Camino

Hola Irenie, I’m actually doing exactly that, a Spanish immersion and walking week in the Pyrenees next month. It’s a small set up called Pyrenean Experience and sounds delightful, if a little challenging... They are in the Baztan valley near the route of the Camino Baztanés. See their website www.pyreneanexperience.com

Hi @Lizanne801. Thank you for your reply. The Pyrenees Experience was one of my choices, but the timing isn’t good for me. I hope it works for you. I may try the Responsible Travel for a beginner class and some walking on the Norte. I’m also planning to apply to work in the Pilgrim Office in Santiago. If you’re interested in the Pilgrim office you can check out the American Pilgrims on the Camino website, Volunteer page for links to volunteer opportunities. Buen Camino, Irene

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola Irenie, I was excited when I saw your post. I have been looking for a course in Santiago while I am volunteering at the Pilgrim House in May. I have yet to find anything that fits my time in Spain. The Apple language course might work for me.
Good luck and Buen Camino
Buen Camino, @Desert Bruce. I hope you find a class to take that fits with your volunteer time. That’s the challenge I’m finding, to take a language class, walk and volunteer in that order. Good luck. Ultreia, Irene

Gracias, Desert Bruce y Irene, I’ll get in touch with them and hope to volunteer May next year. ¡Buena suerte con las clases de español!
Buen Camino

Hola, amigos. I'm looking for help in finding a Spanish Immersion class in Spain, close to the Camino or possibly near the ocean. I've read some older posts, so hope to have some updated information and recommendations. I would like to take a conversation class in August/September 2018, for one or two weeks before I walk again on the Camino. I've walked twice, and want to be able to communicate with native speakers, as a way of showing respect and improving my own skills. I found one Travel company that offers Spanish classes with some walking on the Camino Norte, called Responsible Travel and wonder if anyone has feedback about this company and/or recommendations for a senior hiker. I could take the class before I walk on my own and perhaps volunteering in September. https://www.responsibletravel.com/holidays/picos-de-europa/travel-guide

I have lots of years on this planet and I'll celebrate my 72nd year on the Camino, a birthday gift I've given myself for 70 and 71 and am so excited to return and add more stories to my life and my blog, Walking Through the Ages. I'm grateful for any ideas, suggestions and information you can give me.

Muchas Gracias, Irene
Walking Through The Ages
Hola~~

Check into Instituto Cervantes. I believe they are the largest Spanish language learning centers with accredited affiliated centers all over Spain. They have all levels of courses ranging from 20 hrs per week to a month or more.

Buen Camino,
Louisa Teresa

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Apple Languages offered me a three week course Mondays to Fridays. That is too long for me and I'll be there several days of the first and last weeks but only one full week. Faith, la jefa, at the Pilgrim House gave me the name of a private person who does Spanish tutoring. I am waiting to hear back from her(hard to type with fingers crossed), hopefully her schedule is more flexible.

Last edited:
Hola, amigos. I'm looking for help in finding a Spanish Immersion class in Spain, close to the Camino or possibly near the ocean. I would like to take a conversation class in August/September 2018, for one or two weeks before I walk again on the Camino.

Muchas Gracias, Irene
Walking Through The Ages

The University of Santiago has a two-week intensive course in late August-early September. I did a similar three-week intensive course there in September 2007 and enjoyed it. Three or four hours of class in the morning with a further hour available in the afternoon. The current course is 175 euros. when I did it, relatively inexpensive dorm housing or rooms with families in the city were available. You can get to know the city a little better than in the day or two after you arrive from your camino.

Some information at:

http://www.usc.es/es/servizos/clm/modules/novidades/news_0006.html

Use the search function to look for the thread “Volunteering at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago.” I wrote it to be all-inclusive. Several questions asked were dealt with.

Apparently, I was so successful at generating more volunteers this year that they actually tried to limit me to only two weeks. That’s when I told them I was coming to help, whatever they decided. So they figured it out.

This is an example of no good deed going unpunished. Oh well...

I like doing this that much. Once you do it once you will undetstand.

Hope this helps.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The University of Santiago has a two-week intensive course in late August-early September. I did a similar three-week intensive course there in September 2007 and enjoyed it. Three or four hours of class in the morning with a further hour available in the afternoon. The current course is 175 euros. when I did it, relatively inexpensive dorm housing or rooms with families in the city were available. You can get to know the city a little better than in the day or two after you arrive from your camino.

Some information at:

http://www.usc.es/es/servizos/clm/modules/novidades/news_0006.html
Gracias, @MJB. I'll check it out!

I have been in contact with the private tutor she is a native of Santiago who will work with my schedule for daily lessons. I am very pleased!!!
Irene I wish you much success with your Camino and learning Spanish!

I have been in contact with the private tutor she is a native of Santiago who will work with my schedule for daily lessons. I am very pleased!!!
Irene I wish you much success with your Camino and learning Spanish!
Gracias, @Desert Bruce. I will be working on the details of language immersion, like a part of my Camino, Step by Step. Thank you all for your suggestions. Buen Camino. Irene

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back