• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish language courses in Spain

Marcus-UK

Old Git
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles 2016 Camino Portuguese 2017
Has anyone any experience of taking any short two to four week spanish language courses in Spain? I am considering starting my next camino in 2018 from Salamanca and heading over to Portugal before following one or other of the Portugues camino routes to SDC.
I can get by in German and French but I have a very poor level of Spanish and always feel guilty when trying to converse with the locals. My wife speaks Spanish so I have been very lazy over the years. However she is not capable of walking a camino with me.
I have seen on a few Camino blogs that people have gone through Salamanca, taken a break for a language course and then completed their camino via the various routes available out of Salamanca. Ideally I would like to be able to boost my Spanish to the A1/A2 level (DELE, CEFR)
There are plenty of places advertising courses but I would prefer recommendations or feedback from people who may have done something similar!
Best regards, from a retired person who now has time on his hands to do stuff:-}

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Marcus,

I spent 4 weeks in Salamanca last month taking Spanish Immersion lessons at Tia Tula. I had taken about 12 classes of Spanish this winter and they put me into an already started A1+ class which ended up being fine. I inadvertently booked my departure day for the final exam day so I was able to complete the course and I'm now a A2 level student! The classes were 4 hours a day with a half hour break between. The school was fairly small but situated in a newly renovated building just 1 street north of the cathedral with a great comfortable coffee shop next door that seemingly all us students would go to during our break. Class sizes can range from 2-10 students, depending on demand and can change weekly as some students are there for just a week or two, some for several months. There's also an option to add an extra hour of conversation to your day (on a weekly basis). I did this one week as I felt I needed more practise with my conversation. Sometimes I wished I had bought this option for every week, sometimes I knew my poor old brain was so tired at the end of 4 hours that I was glad I didn't have any extra studies! I really liked my teachers, especially my morning instructor (you change professors for the afternoon session).

The school fee was very reasonable I felt, almost half of what the University of Salamanca was charging, and I thought it was good value. In fact, they had a special when I was there, pay for 3 weeks and get the 4th free. I booked my accommodation through them as well - a shared apartment. They also have home stays, where you stay with a local family. There's pro's and con's to both arrangements.

Let me know if you have any specific questions!

Allison

Hi Allison,

Do you have contact info for the school?

Many Thanks,
Gary

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There is a discount if two sign up, anyone interested in doing the course in July August?

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.