• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Language School?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Not idea about the school, but what I can recommend you is the area.

I would go to wherever in Castilla la Mancha, Castilla y Leon, Madrid, Asturias, Extremadura, Canary Islands, Rioja, ....

The idea of that is avoiding areas in which an important percentage of the population is speaking a different language (Gallego, Catalan, Valenciano or Vasco). Also the pronunciation in Andalucia is very difficult (even for Spaniards).

In theory the purest Spanish language is spoken in Castilla y Leon area (Valladolid, Burgos, Leon, Palencia, Salamanca, ...).

Please, people from other areas .... don't be upset!!;););)

I took Beginning Spanish 1 & 2 at the local state college during spring and summer B last year before my camino. It helped, but I ended up walking with groups that predominantly spoke English (many were from other countries, but they were kind to us). I was able to use my Spanglish successfully before, after, and during my camino with the locals. However, I was not fluent enough for a real conversation.

The best days for Spanish were spent with Alfonzo in Larrasoana. We spent the afternoon on the patio drinking wine. He spoke English to me, and I spoke Spanish to him. I got schooled in history, culture, and language. There was only one other day like that ... I hiked with Borja. We did the same thing back in forth in Spanish and English.

I am now taking Intermediate Spanish 1 at a local university. I have suffered from attrition, and I am playing catch up. 6 months off has taken its toll. I am getting by, but an A now seems illusive. Most of the kids speak Spanish fluently.

I just researched inhispania.com in Madrid. I think I am going to go there for spring break. I feel like a kid, I had to get permission from Mom (my wife). I am going to take a crash course. 20 classes per week + 10 hours of private 1 on 1 tutoring. There is an online placement test for them to help place you in the right level.

Lastly, search for immersion on this site. There has been a couple of threads and that is how I learned about inhispania. I know there is at least one other member south of the border in an immersion class now.

Buena Suerte Amiga.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you want cheap one one on classes try Guatemala! I'm in Guatemala right now in a village on beautiful Lake Atitlan. The cost for 20 hours of instruction per week and a homestay with 3 meals a day is approximately US$225/week. I think I'm actually saving money by being here!:D
There are tons of Spanish schools here. This is the that I'm attending:
http://cooperativeschoolsanpedro.edu.gt/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not idea about the school, but what I can recommend you is the area.

I would go to wherever in Castilla la Mancha, Castilla y Leon, Madrid, Asturias, Extremadura, Canary Islands, Rioja, ....

The idea of that is avoiding areas in which an important percentage of the population is speaking a different language (Gallego, Catalan, Valenciano or Vasco). Also the pronunciation in Andalucia is very difficult (even for Spaniards).

In theory the purest Spanish language is spoken in Castilla y Leon area (Valladolid, Burgos, Leon, Palencia, Salamanca, ...).

Please, people from other areas .... don't be upset!!;););)

Thats interesting- thanks so much!

If you want cheap one one on classes try Guatemala! I'm in Guatemala right now in a village on beautiful Lake Atitlan. The cost for 20 hours of instruction per week and a homestay with 3 meals a day is approximately US$225/week. I think I'm actually saving money by being here!:D

Wow!!! THANK YOU so much- very appealing!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took Beginning Spanish 1 & 2 at the local state college during spring and summer B last year before my camino. It helped, but I ended up walking with groups that predominantly spoke English (many were from other countries, but they were kind to us). I was able to use my Spanglish successfully before, after, and during my camino with the locals. However, I was not fluent enough for a real conversation.

The best days for Spanish were spent with Alfonzo in Larrasoana. We spent the afternoon on the patio drinking wine. He spoke English to me, and I spoke Spanish to him. I got schooled in history, culture, and language. There was only one other day like that ... I hiked with Borja. We did the same thing back in forth in Spanish and English.

I am now taking Intermediate Spanish 1 at a local university. I have suffered from attrition, and I am playing catch up. 6 months off has taken its toll. I am getting by, but an A now seems illusive. Most of the kids speak Spanish fluently.

I just researched inhispania.com in Madrid. I think I am going to go there for spring break. I feel like a kid, I had to get permission from Mom (my wife). I am going to take a crash course. 20 classes per week + 10 hours of private 1 on 1 tutoring. There is an online placement test for them to help place you in the right level.

Lastly, search for immersion on this site. There has been a couple of threads and that is how I learned about inhispania. I know there is at least one other member south of the border in an immersion class now.

Buena Suerte Amiga.

Thanks very much, ill search the Forum for more info re Immersion. All the best with your Spanish, youre way ahead of me!

Also worth considering is that in the modern world there is a huge amount of language learning you can do on your own. Many polyglots and other language learners prefer to do it this way rather than in a traditional classroom setting. I won't go into the reasons for this but instead I'll just give you some beginner Spanish resources that may be helpful.

Notes in Spanish - Inspired Beginners
Spanish audio conversations by Ben and Marina, who run a hugely successful operation (31m+ downloads). The audio is free and you can pay for worksheets which include transcriptions, questions, exercises etc.

SpanishPod101
Another podcast-based resource. Here there are recorded dialogues in Spanish with an introduction to the dialogue and post-dialogue analysis in English (at least at the beginner level).

DuoLingo
Popular app that game-ifies language learning and is a good starting point for beginners.

LingQ
Both a method and a resource that I use daily in my own language learning. LingQ focuses on input (reading/listening) as a way to absorb language and at its core is a reading system that learns your 'known words', the words you're studying (lingQs) and your never-before-seen words, with the ability to import any digital text from the web or anywhere else into this system. The free version doesn't get you much but you could try it out anyway to see if you think it might interest you.

¡Buena suerte!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Also worth considering is that in the modern world there is a huge amount of language learning you can do on your own. Many polyglots and other language learners prefer to do it this way rather than in a traditional classroom setting. I won't go into the reasons for this but instead I'll just give you some beginner Spanish resources that may be helpful.

Notes in Spanish - Inspired Beginners
Spanish audio conversations by Ben and Marina, who run a hugely successful operation (31m+ downloads). The audio is free and you can pay for worksheets which include transcriptions, questions, exercises etc.

SpanishPod101
Another podcast-based resource. Here there are recorded dialogues in Spanish with an introduction to the dialogue and post-dialogue analysis in English (at least at the beginner level).

DuoLingo
Popular app that game-ifies language learning and is a good starting point for beginners.

LingQ
Both a method and a resource that I use daily in my own language learning. LingQ focuses on input (reading/listening) as a way to absorb language and at its core is a reading system that learns your 'known words', the words you're studying (lingQs) and your never-before-seen words, with the ability to import any digital text from the web or anywhere else into this system. The free version doesn't get you much but you could try it out anyway to see if you think it might interest you.

¡Buena suerte!
I really like the teaching style of Unlimited Spanish with Oscar podcasts. He also sells courses on his site, but the podcasts are free.

http://www.unlimitedspanish.com/podcasts/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Id like to spend Jan 2019 somewhere in Spain learning basics of the language. Can anyone recommend a good language school for beginners? Many thanks

Just a thought. Some cities are now so touristy that you will fall back to English perhaps too easily. Think about a medium sized town with a university. Bilbao or Oviedo spring to mind. Universities give a breath of life. Big cities are great but sometimes lack the charm of their smaller compatriots.

I did the same thing, loved it. And highly recommend Mariposa Spanish School in Nicaragua as well.

If you want to go to Spain I would suggest Salamanca. It is an absolutely beautiful city, but as it is a bit smaller than Madrid or Seville it isn’t as overwhelming. Also you won’t have any problems with other languages as you might in Cataluña or the Basque Country. I studied there with the Colegio de España...I assume it is still around. You might google it and see what you can find. Other than that the Universidad de Salamanca certainly has programs for foreigners.
Buena Suerte

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just a thought. Some cities are now so touristy that you will fall back to English perhaps too easily. Think about a medium sized town with a university. Bilbao or Oviedo spring to mind. Universities give a breath of life. Big cities are great but sometimes lack the charm of their smaller compatriots.

Smaller cities definitely more appealing, thanks so much!

If you want to go to Spain I would suggest Salamanca. It is an absolutely beautiful city, but as it is a bit smaller than Madrid or Seville it isn’t as overwhelming. Also you won’t have any problems with other languages as you might in Cataluña or the Basque Country. I studied there with the Colegio de España...I assume it is still around. You might google it and see what you can find. Other than that the Universidad de Salamanca certainly has programs for foreigners.
Buena Suerte

Wonderful, Ill check it out, thanks so much!

Hi Jennifer
I’m hoping to do something similar next northern hemisphere winter. Currently tossing up between Salamanca and Leon. Have never been to Salamanca so it may well be the final choice.

:eek: @trecile wish I could travel south to learn Spanish at those prices but in my corner of the world all they speak down there is Penguin.:(

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
For those who like to learn on their own and need to start at the beginning, Coffee Break Spanish podcasts are free and very helpful.

@Jennifer1959
I started my Spanish language studies through the online resources of my local public library. I worked my way through the Mango Languages Spanish course twice on my own before registering at my local university for first year Spanish (both were free: for me as a library member and for me as a senior). This year I am unable to go to Spain, so am taking a second year in Spanish from the university. I recommend that you check what is available online in your local public library. This will give you a bit of Spanish vocabulary and grammar, but more important (to me) the sound of Spanish. I find conversations in Spanish challenging and it is good to get a feel for the language before more formal study. This is preparatory to study in Spain, not instead of. If you decide to try out an online course, check to see if there is an option to study the Spanish of Spain - Castilian - as there are some minor differences in grammar, vocabulary and accent from Spanish American Spanish. Buena suerte [good luck].

Hi, @trecile, are you back now from your Guatemala Spanish classes? I may be in Guatemala this coming summer before I return to the Camino and maybe I will add a Spanish class to my journey there instead of in Spain, as I originally planned. I would love to hear about your experience, recommendations. I'm grateful for any suggestions or ideas about language school in Guatemala (or anywhere!). Gracias y Buen Camino, Irene

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Id like to spend Jan 2019 somewhere in Spain learning basics of the language. Can anyone recommend a good language school for beginners? Many thanks
Yes. In 2015 I got injured at the start of the VDLP. My return flight was some 6 weeks away. So to kill that time I went to Valencia and enrolled at "hispania" Spanish language school. Ended up doing Level1 and 2 over 2 months. Wonderful school. I even rented room through them. I highly recommend it. The beginner level classes start every week.

You can start learning with the free App Dualingo. Also download the dictionary "SpanishDict".

Last edited:
Hi, @trecile, are you back now from your Guatemala Spanish classes? I may be in Guatemala this coming summer before I return to the Camino and maybe I will add a Spanish class to my journey there instead of in Spain, as I originally planned. I would love to hear about your experience, recommendations. I'm grateful for any suggestions or ideas about language school in Guatemala (or anywhere!). Gracias y Buen Camino, Irene
I attended two different schools in the Lake Atitlan area. The first, La Cooperativa in San Pedro la Laguna was highly recommended, and was a beautiful school, but I didn't find the quality of instruction to be that great. All the instruction at the schools in Guatemala is one teacher/one student, so I could have just been unlucky, though I did have two different teachers. I decided to stay in the lake area, because it's so beautiful, with many hiking opportunities, so I moved to another village, Panajachel, and attended Jabel Tinamit Spanish School, which I can highly recommend. I loved my teacher, Gladys, and I'm continuing to have lessons with her via Skype. I paid $35 extra per week to have a private bathroom in my homestay in Panajachel - I wasn't given that option in San Pedro. I paid about $250/week for my room, 3 meals a day, and 20 hours per week of instruction.

I attended two different schools in the Lake Atitlan area. The first, La Cooperativa in San Pedro la Laguna was highly recommended, and was a beautiful school, but I didn't find the quality of instruction to be that great. All the instruction at the schools in Guatemala is one teacher/one student, so I could have just been unlucky, though I did have two different teachers. I decided to stay in the lake area, because it's so beautiful, with many hiking opportunities, so I moved to another village, Panajachel, and attended Jabel Tinamit Spanish School, which I can highly recommend. I loved my teacher, Gladys, and I'm continuing to have lessons with her via Skype. I paid $35 extra per week to have a private bathroom in my homestay in Panajachel - I wasn't given that option in San Pedro. I paid about $250/week for my room, 3 meals a day, and 20 hours per week of instruction.
@trecile, Muchas gracias! So good to hear your experiences, especially how you attended more than one school and also moved to different villages. It’s helpful how you compared schools and teachers, especially since you are sharing a recent immersion class in Guatemala, where I’m considering a visit and more. I’ll be working on arrangements and reservations. I look forward to reading how your español helps you on the Camino.

I appreciate all the replies and suggestions and always the stories. Buen Camino, amigos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi @Jennifer1959 - as we now seem to maybe be coming out of Covid, I'm looking at options for a month of intensive Spanish next year. What did you end up doing, and how did it go??

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.