• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish on the Le Puy Camino

urbanhiker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2012)
Le Puy to Moissac (2013)
Camino Portugues (Sept 2014)
Camino del Norte/Irun to Luarca (April 2015)
Camino Inglés/Camino Finisterra/Muxia (Oct 2015)
Moissac to St. Jean (2016)
I was wondering if Spanish is common along the Le Puy Camino. I have been studying French for a few months and can construct some basic French phrases to help me along the way. I think I can order food, rooms, taxis, and follow train schedules and such.

I did the Camino de Santiago last year and noticed that in most cases, people along the way did not speak English. English may be a universal language but it isn't in smaller towns across Europe. I am fluent in Spanish and was hoping I could that in place of my French, although I continue to study French everyday.

Any thoughts?

Ray

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not really - It might help you read some signs etc because of similarities between the languages, but French is the only language generally spoken on the Le Puy route.
Margaret

You'd get more use out of English than Spanish, frankly, and the English will BTW be not very useful at all ...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ray - l agree entirely - I've just completed the stage Le Puy to Moissac / 400 km, finishing 8 August - French is all but essential on the way for a deeply enjoyable walk - you could get by in English, but that is putting expectations onto the locals, and you'd miss out on the local flavour - some Spanish walkers, but you would need to be extremely lucky to find hospitaleros who spoke Spanish - so continue with the French studies - the French walkers and those at the gites will appreciate your efforts - bon chemin...! - Stephen in NZ

I was wondering if Spanish is common along the Le Puy Camino. I have been studying French for a few months and can construct some basic French phrases to help me along the way. I think I can order food, rooms, taxis, and follow train schedules and such.

On the Le Puy route, Spanish is about as common as ... well, Czech. Spanish is not taught in the public schools, there are few Spanish expats, and the French tend to vacation in the south of France rather than in Spain. At least with English, because such a large proportion of the vocabulary originated with French (due to the Norman conquest), you can recognize many words of written French. It's just that we pronounce them terribly (by French standards).

The basic French phrases you list - including general pleasantries and politenesses - will stand you in good stead. The French really appreciate our attempts to speak/learn their language. I would steer clear of trying to make your own phone calls for lodging reservations - ask the gite owner, Tourism Office, or a fellow Francophone pilgrim instead.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back