• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Spanish QR code? Nope

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I spent several hours researching and processing the acquisition of a QR code for Spain. I flew into Madrid last night. Not one person asked to see it. Bureaucracy at its finest.
I don't understand what you are saying. Maybe it's because I've travelled to Spain for umpteen years, both by air and by land, and I've always been aware of this: The fact that there are no checks at the border does not mean that you are allowed to travel abroad entirely without the required documents.

Not one person asked to see it. Bureaucracy at its finest.

I assume that when you applied for the code you had to provide your personal details and flight number. I had to do so before flying to Spain in January. This information is stored on an online database. My airline checked this before boarding and the Spanish immigration authorities have access to it. Just because no-one asked to see a physical copy of your QR code does not mean that your vaccination status and other information has not been checked on or before your arrival.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't understand what you are saying. Maybe it's because I've travelled to Spain for umpteen years, both by air and by land, and I've always been aware of this: The fact that there are no checks at the border does not mean that you are allowed to travel abroad entirely without the required documents.
That’s not what I said. There is a lot of worry, discussion and fear about the infamous QR code. Going through all the steps for nothing seems ridiculous

That’s not what I said. There is a lot of worry, discussion and fear about the infamous QR code. Going through all the steps for nothing seems ridiculous
It's been known for more than a year that every passenger on a flight from another country to Spain must have a SpTH QR code; that checks by airport staff in the departing country are fairly systematic; that checks at the arrival airport in Spain are done randomly ie spot checks, i.e. not every passenger gets checked after arrival. And since the beginning of April 2022 or so an even lower proportion of arriving passengers gets checked.

There's been a lot of enthusiastic discussion about this topic on the forum for sure. Some needless worry and those with some familiarity with the process did their best to dispel such worries.

Last edited:
Why fear a QR-CODE?
You want to visit in your case Spain so you have to act to there rules . You don't do it for nothing and it's absolutely not ridiculous.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bureaucracy at its finest.
I think this is a bit harsh. For one thing, there may still be random checks, and you wouldn’t want to be that person who arrived without the proper papers.

But more importantly, I think that all bureaucracies rely on people and businesses to comply with the law on their own initiative. Where I live, all restaurants must comply with a whole long list of bureaucratic regulations. The Public Health Department makes sporadic unannounced visits to check on compliance. I’d like to think that my local restaurants adhere to health standards because they care about the health of their customers, but I know that the possibility of a random check, followed by loss of license, is a big motivator too. Same for the QR code.

It's been known for more than a year that every passenger on a flight from another country to Spain must have a SpTH QR code; that checks by airport staff in the departing country are fairly systematic; that checks at the arrival airport in Spain are done randomly ie spot checks, i.e. not every passenger gets checked after arrival. And since the beginning of April 2022 or so an even lower proportion of arriving passengers gets checked.

There's been a lot of enthusiastic discussion about this topic on the forum for sure. Some needless worry and those with some familiarity with the process did their best to dispel such worries.
I flew into Barcelona yesterday from Melbourne, Australia and was asked to show it. So better safe than sorry.

I flew into Madrid last night. Not one person asked to see it. Bureaucracy at its finest.
Did the airline not ask to have your documents uploaded as part of your check in process, thus generating the QR code as a record? Mine did, and that was the only time.

That seems like minimal and sensible bureaucracy - to check it once at the outset, and then just have random spot checks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's not for nothing.

I went through Madrid ten days ago and had to produce it.

Some ladies in my group sailed through without being asked for it while others that did not have it were detained until the could prove their vaccination status. Which they could of course.

It's an easy form to complete and it's best to have it ready in case of being asked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It really wasn’t that hard. My husband and I did it because we flew in last Saturday. At the airport in the US, we had to show our QR code as well as a copy of the vaccination. As for Spain, their country their rules. We always have the option of going elsewhere.

It's not for nothing.

I went through Madrid ten days ago and had to produce it.

Some ladies in my group sailed through without being asked for it while others that did not have it were detained until the could prove their vaccination status. Which they could of course.

It's an easy form to complete and it's best to have it ready in case of being asked.
How does one get this qr code? I am.flying in from Ghans, my sons from South Africa and the Netherlands.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An hour or two to research and fill out a few forms is a small price to protect others, and oneself. It's a lot faster than getting a drivers license, which I hope not be required to show either.

Packed like sardines in a punishing 5.5 hour long cue at Lisbon Passport control was an experience I will not risk again. There were many, many times more security, police and first responders herding and treating those who collapsed in line than the 3 people checking passports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back