[Stevenson Route, France - April 2016]
The Way of St Francis (Sansepolcro to Assisi) May 2016
[The West Highland Way, Scotland - Sept 2016]
[The Kerry Way, Ireland - March 2017]
Next up:
Camino Primitivo (Oviedo-Lugo) end April-mid May 2017
[Everest Base Camp Trek, Nepal -- October 2017]
Hey folks,

I'm planning to buy a Spanish SIM card for my iPhone 5 SE. My brother in law is over there at the moment so will get it for me (all going well). It'll be the usual "pay as you go" with a good data package. Does anyone have any recommendations on which company to buy it from i.e. which companies have good network coverage along the Primitivo route? (I've been caught out before with bad coverage). Also, any good package/deal you are aware of that you would recommend I go for?

I'll only be there two weeks on this occasion but I'm bound to be back to Spain again at some stage (so I'll get the use out of it).

Thanks in advance!

Eilish

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will be interested in this thread as well, and add coverage for the Norte up to the start of the Primitivo.

Hi, Eilish,
Last year on the Primitivo, I had a Vodaphone sim card. The only time I remember a difference in coverage was in Berducedo where I couldn't get coverage and my movistar friends all had it. I think that though vodaphone and the other companies have made great improvements in their coverage, Movistar still wins. But I really didn't have any complaints with Vodaphone other than that one day.

As far as deals go, I think you will find that all of the companies have "deals," most of which are hard to compare with each other and frustrating for the consumer. But I got what I think was a good deal last summer on Vodaphone. Since at the beginning I was walking with another person who had Vodaphone, we decided to get the same package so that we could call each other for free. Then there were 2 GB of data, I think, and maybe 50 minutes (or maybe more). It lasted for a month and cost 15 euros. You could add on another month and not lose your minutes at any point in time. So since I was walking for seven weeks, after the third week of the deal, I added another four weeks, so I could carry over my data and minutes till the end of my walk.

The data was more than enough, since wifi is everywhere.

And though my memory is not my strong suit, I am pretty sure the card was called Super Yuser.

The only other thing you might want to consider is that in my experience, the Vodaphone people in stores from the Ebro Delta up through Santiago were friendly and helpful. In my other years of walking caminos, in which I always got Movistar, I have never come across a helpful and friendly Movistar employee, but that may just be my bad luck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My Spanish orange sim was great - even worked in Paris but coverage was not as good as those who had Movistar. I was sometimes no signal and they were fully connected.

I have had no problems with an Orange sim on my many Caminos.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Eilish,
Last year on the Primitivo, I had a Vodaphone sim card. The only time I remember a difference in coverage was in Berducedo where I couldn't get coverage and my movistar friends all had it. I think that though vodaphone and the other companies have made great improvements in their coverage, Movistar still wins. But I really didn't have any complaints with Vodaphone other than that one day.

As far as deals go, I think you will find that all of the companies have "deals," most of which are hard to compare with each other and frustrating for the consumer. But I got what I think was a good deal last summer on Vodaphone. Since at the beginning I was walking with another person who had Vodaphone, we decided to get the same package so that we could call each other for free. Then there were 2 GB of data, I think, and maybe 50 minutes (or maybe more). It lasted for a month and cost 15 euros. You could add on another month and not lose your minutes at any point in time. So since I was walking for seven weeks, after the third week of the deal, I added another four weeks, so I could carry over my data and minutes till the end of my walk.

The data was more than enough, since wifi is everywhere.

And though my memory is not my strong suit, I am pretty sure the card was called Super Yuser.

The only other thing you might want to consider is that in my experience, the Vodaphone people in stores from the Ebro Delta up through Santiago were friendly and helpful. In my other years of walking caminos, in which I always got Movistar, I have never come across a helpful and friendly Movistar employee, but that may just be my bad luck.

Thanks for that it's really helpful. Good to know that Vodafone have decent coverage. Using the right company is so important... I learned this the hard way in France last year when my Three coverage was next to non existent where I was hiking.

I'll probably go with Vodafone based on your recommendation. Thanks again!

I have had no problems with an Orange sim on my many Caminos.
Thanks. Have you used it hiking the Primitivo? Apparently phone network coverage can be bad in some areas depending on the company.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My Spanish orange sim was great - even worked in Paris but coverage was not as good as those who had Movistar. I was sometimes no signal and they were fully connected.

Thanks Redvespablur, I've used Orange before but it sounds like their coverage is not as good especially for the Primitivo. I want to have complete or nearly coverage for the whole trail as I'm hiking alone and some sections are a bit remote. A safety precaution in case of injury more than anything.

We have used Orange quite happily on the Primitivo and the phones picked up Movistar a couple of times when that was the better signal. There are some pockets with poor signal. It might depend on the type of phone - ours are 'dumb' not 'smart' so only used for texts or to talk, no data.

I can't remember which company I used, but it was not orange, and I lost coverage on the Alto de Palo. Also, budget disappeared super fast, as it has again now with Lebara.

I thought I would give a Spanish Sim card a chance again, but next time will revert to buying my international plan from my home provider.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.