• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish SIM Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gypsea Moon

Time of past OR future Camino
Could anyone tell me where I can buy a Spanish SIM card as soon as possible after SJPP? which network are available? (Tuenti being my preference. ) Thanks a lot

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
FYI I google orange in Pamplona and found 4 stores and then tried just Navarra and I found an Orange store just a block off the camino in Burlada, ( a suburb right before entering Pamplona) here is some info:-- Get there before 2PM as it appears they are closed from 2-430PM

Tienda Orange Merindad De Sanguesa Burlada
C/ Merindad De Sanguesa 5

Burlada

CP: 31600 Navarra

Teléfono: (948) 14 97 86

horario
Laborales 10:00-14:00;16:30-20:00

Sábados 10:30-13:00

FYI I google orange in Pamplona and found 4 stores and then tried just Navarra and I found an Orange store just a block off the camino in Burlada, ( a suburb right before entering Pamplona) here is some info:-- Get there before 2PM as it appears they are closed from 2-430PM
Tienda Orange Merindad De Sanguesa Burlada
C/ Merindad De Sanguesa 5

The Vodafone store in Burlada on the main street walking toward Pamplona was great; the person who helped was very helpful, spoke excellent English, and made sure my new sim worked. I believe this is the same store as above. It was at Calle Mayor, 29, 31600 Burlada, Navarra, Spain, 3.4 km before Pamplona Center. 11.5 km after Larrasoana.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very precise... thank you : )
Out of curiosity, did you walk without internet (except wifi) from SJPP?
... did you download maps / other infos on your phone, and reserve albergue beforehand?

Wondering how I will go without datas, not able to use apps or Google, esp. in winter, many albergues not open... my ready-to-go Spanish SIM card got damaged just two days before departure...
Not much I can do now, taking the bus to Bayonne tomorrow, starting to walk from SJPP on the weekend I guess

Last edited:
There are so Orange and Vodaphone in Estella.
Regarding the damaged sim card, can't you simply get another in Pamplona. They are dirt cheap - about 2 At this time of the year there will be no need to book accommodation.
I have walked in April, May, June, Sept and Oct and never book ahead, except at Orisson and in Feb you will be walking the Valcarlos route. However I have noticed that many people now book ahead - one of the changes over time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Could anyone tell me where I can buy a Spanish SIM card as soon as possible after SJPP? which network are available? (Tuenti being my preference. ) Thanks a lot
If you fly through Madrid, you can buy one at the phone/electronics shop in the Terminal 4.

Why bother. WiFi available in lots of cafes and accommodations. Use Internet and Facebook messenger, Skype or what's app and email. That is all one needs.

Why bother. WiFi available in lots of cafes and accommodations. Use Internet and Facebook messenger, Skype or what's app and email. That is all one needs.
Is that All We need to do
Pop our iPhone on Airplane Mode
& use WIFI

Is that All We need to do
Pop our iPhone on Airplane Mode
& use WIFI
You do not need airplane mode once landed. In cafes and tourist offices and restaurants and accommodations they give you a code to sign into wifi and bingo. If you want to book accommodation ahead use Internet based contacts rather than telephone nos, so no need for local Sim cards.

Thanks
I'm NEW to overseas phone coverage
When I went to BALI Ijust left my phone on Airplane mode
As I thought my Normal provider might charge me for useage

Thanks
I'm NEW to overseas phone coverage
When I went to BALI Ijust left my phone on Airplane mode
As I thought my Normal provider might charge me for useage
Don't know about that. My provider is monthly prepay and does not cover Europe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used these guys https://www.facebook.com/freemovilpamplona/ They are just off the big main square in Pamplona (Plaza del Castillo) on the South East corner of the square on Calle Espoz y Mina (the side street by Bar Txoko) (GPS reference 42.816153,-1.641764). It is independent so offers a good range of SIM cards and were very helpful getting the SIM card setup and charged. They also offer unlocking and repair services. Alternatively, if you happy to have just 3G+ rather than 4G you cannot beat this offering from Three in the UK which gives you 12 GB right across Europe for just £30. http://store.three.co.uk/view/content/basket?ID=15

Well, for me there was a good reason to bother. I had a quad bypass in 2010 and this summer and my wife was, naturally, concerned. I walked from St Jean to Orrison that first day where there is no wi-fi. Before I left my wife made me promise to stay in touch every day and I said I would. When I got to Orrison I found someone who let me use their phone with a working sim to send her an email saying while very tired I was fine. Unfortunately since it came from someone she didn't know it went straight to email trash and she never saw it. To say she was very worried for the next 24 hours would be an understatement. I was able to reach her using the wi-fi at Roncesvalles and after a time assuring her I was fine, so was she.

So for my next camino I have promised her I will have a sim that works everywhere from the minute I leave!

As you walk in Pamplona, about 2ks before the town centre there are 2 phone shops on the right hand side. Orange is one of them.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You do not need airplane mode once landed.
No, there is no requirement for it. However, if you don't want to be receiving miscellaneous phone calls and text messages from home, and having the associated long distance charges, it is best to keep your phone on airplane mode. You can still turn wifi ON while you are in airplane mode, but not receive any calls/messages on the cell phone.

Well, for me there was a good reason to bother. I had a quad bypass in 2010 and this summer and my wife was, naturally, concerned. I walked from St Jean to Orrison that first day where there is no wi-fi. Before I left my wife made me promise to stay in touch every day and I said I would. When I got to Orrison I found someone who let me use their phone with a working sim to send her an email saying while very tired I was fine. Unfortunately since it came from someone she didn't know it went straight to email trash and she never saw it. To say she was very worried for the next 24 hours would be an understatement. I was able to reach her using the wi-fi at Roncesvalles and after a time assuring her I was fine, so was she.

So for my next camino I have promised her I will have a sim that works everywhere from the minute I leave!
Of course!

I agree with @gittiharre there is no need for local sim cards.
I use my sim card from home with international roaming enabled.
I Whatsapp my husband every evening, with free wifi, so he knows I’m OK.
If there is no wifi I text him, which costs a few cents only.
I don’t book ahead for a bed, but the few occasions I have had to make a call (e.g. ring the number on the door for someone to come and open up), it was for a couple of minutes only and the cost was minimal.
My international roaming account stays well topped up, so if I have to make emergency calls there are funds to cover it.
Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I agree with @gittiharre there is no need for local sim cards.
I use my sim card from home with international roaming enabled.
Unfortunately, international roaming charges vary a lot. With Canadian plans, the charges would very quickly add up to the cost of getting a Spanish sim card for a month.

I've never bothered with a sim card. I have Sprint for my cell phone provider and their free global roaming provides unlimited text and data, with a per minute charge on phone calls. Fellow hikers and I used whatsapp to keep in touch. It was great to be able to bring up a map, make a reservation and check the internet for information without having to find a spot to get wifi. In addition to Sprint, T-Mobile also has free text and data.

Unfortunately, international roaming charges vary a lot. With Canadian plans, the charges would very quickly add up to the cost of getting a Spanish sim card for a month.

Yes, I agree that international roaming charges can be expensive, but what I was trying to say in my post is that I would use international roaming only in an emergency. But it’s there if I need it. With free wifi almost everywhere, and Whatsapp, there is no need to buy a local sim.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I agree that international roaming charges can be expensive, but what I was trying to say in my post is that I would use international roaming only in an emergency. But it’s there if I need it. With free wifi almost everywhere, and Whatsapp, there is no need to buy a local sim.
Yes, that true. Having it available in an emergency is the important part. The sim is only for additional use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.