• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish SIM card

Jersey

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2017
By the time I get to Spain in late July this year I'll have an extra deactivated iPhone 6.
Would it be ideal to use this phone for a Spanish SIM card?
Do I need to have it unlocked?
My main use of this phone will be to stay in contact with two of my friends who live in Spain without having to worry about having a wifi connection
Thanks to all

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A Spanish sim card can be used in any unlocked phone, so I'm not sure why it is significant that it is an "extra" phone (unless you want to be receiving or making calls on both numbers). Just take one unlocked phone, switch SIM cards when you arrive and switch back when you leave. The difficult part is not losing your tiny SIM card when it isn't in your phone!

I believe if I unlock my new phone it might void the warranty?
I'm only walking two weeks due to time restraints ( Leon to Santiago )
But I will be in Spain another three weeks after that, using both phones often.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I always get my SIM card in Spain either in phone shops at the train station or phone shops around big supermarket like Carrefour. So far it has been the Orange SIM card that many of the shops carry.

Don't get pre-packaged 10 euro traveler SIM as they don't have much data allowance. Just tell the shop what you need. For me a month in Spain I always ask for 15 euro data (2 GB for one month) and 5 euro talk time making it a total of 20 euros.

Make sure you get a signal icon on the phone before you leave the shop (usually takes about a minute or two after the SIM card activation).

I believe if I unlock my new phone it might void the warranty?
I'm only walking two weeks due to time restraints ( Leon to Santiago )
But I will be in Spain another three weeks after that, using both phones often.

Unlocking your phone (when performed officially through the carrier) does not void the warranty, hacking it from a third party will void the warranty.
What service is your iPhone on? AT&T? T-Mobile? Sprint? Verizon?

By the time I get to Spain in late July this year I'll have an extra deactivated iPhone 6.
Would it be ideal to use this phone for a Spanish SIM card?
Do I need to have it unlocked?
My main use of this phone will be to stay in contact with two of my friends who live in Spain without having to worry about having a wifi connection
Thanks to all

not sure what you mean with "deactivated iPhone", but during my visits in Spain this has worked really well:
https://www.vodafone.es/c/particulares/es/tienda/movil/tourist-in-spain-vf/

A selection of Camino Jewellery
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I purchased a Spanish SIM card from http://www.simsforspain.com/ before leaving for Spain. They have cards for Orange, Vodaphone, and others, so you can choose the carrier and level of service you need. If you purchase the card far enough in advance of your departure date, they can assist you in having it activated prior to your departure so it will be ready to use as soon as you hit the ground in Spain. I plan to use their service again before we leave for this year's Camino II.

But you do need to have your phone unlocked to use a SIM card from any carrier other than your original. Verizon claims their 4G/LTE phones are already unlocked. I have not physically verified that on my iPhone 5s, but have my older iPhone 3GS from AT&T that is unlocked, so at least I have a plan B if the 5S is not compatible. On my 2013 Camino I had an unlocked GSM non-smartphone that worked perfectly using an Orange card from the vendor mentioned above.

I purchased a Spanish SIM card from http://www.simsforspain.com/ before leaving for Spain. They have cards for Orange, Vodaphone, and others, so you can choose the carrier and level of service you need. If you purchase the card far enough in advance of your departure date, they can assist you in having it activated prior to your departure so it will be ready to use as soon as you hit the ground in Spain. I plan to use their service again before we leave for this year's Camino II.

But you do need to have your phone unlocked to use a SIM card from any carrier other than your original. Verizon claims their 4G/LTE phones are already unlocked. I have not physically verified that on my iPhone 5s, but have my older iPhone 3GS from AT&T that is unlocked, so at least I have a plan B if the 5S is not compatible. On my 2013 Camino I had an unlocked GSM non-smartphone that worked perfectly using an Orange card from the vendor mentioned above.
How do you recharge data when you buy through sims for spain? I was looking at their website and it's not clear what the different recharge numbers mean. I want to change from the place where I currently get my sim cards.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If I arrive in SJPdP via Biarritz and want to purchase a Spanish Sim Card...
1) Is it possible before Pamplona?
2) Which Cell service is better?
I have used Orange before (reasonable cost) but there were places (on the Camino) with no coverage.

With an Orange Sim Card.... you go to any super mercado (grocery store) with a computerised till... and they will charge it.

How do you recharge data when you buy through sims for spain? I was looking at their website and it's not clear what the different recharge numbers mean. I want to change from the place where I currently get my sim cards.
I recharged at the Orange stores, which can be found in most of the larger towns and cities along the Camino route. Others report recharging at supermercados or tobacco stores, but I never tried that.

I talked to a friend of mine this morning who lives in Spain.
He told me Movistar is the national carrier and the best bet for the most coverage.

I used this website to recharge my card as needed. Very easy and just took a few minutes.

http://www.simcardspain.es/en/

As an option to consider, I also bought my SIM card and package through the same website and it was mailed to my home in Canada before we left for Spain and arrived fully activated so we had it for any emergencies enroute and could leave our Canadian cards at home and negate the risk of losing them in Spain.

I used this website to recharge my card as needed. Very easy and just took a few minutes.

http://www.simcardspain.es/en/

As an option to consider, I also bought my SIM card and package through the same website and it was mailed to my home in Canada before we left for Spain and arrived fully activated so we had it for any emergencies enroute and could leave our Canadian cards at home and negate the risk of losing them in Spain.
That's what I did for last year's trip to Spain. Can you maybe send me a private message and explain what the data topoff numbers mean. I speak Spanish and I still can't follow their system for adding data. It doesn't specify how much I'm topping off with. I was going to get the Movistar SIM because I'm doing the Primitivo and looking at the coverage map that one has the largest area of coverage.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My phone company is Vodafone Spain.
In my stay in US the last year I worked with my Spanish SIM. Vodafone provides its customers in Spain free ROAMING to USA.
As my main concern was being communicated with my family and friends in Spain was the best and cheapest solution.
The few times I needed to communicate with someone in the States I always found a gentle Hiker who left me his cell with number USA to use it.
Buen Camino.

Reading this thread makes me feel like I was in la-la land last weekend on 25/2/17.
I was in Madrid and planned on getting an Orange or Moviestar number for my iPhone. The shops are not as plentiful as in years past. I went to Sol and found a Vodaphone shop to get my new number, never saw the Orange or Moviestar shop, except one Moviestar shop in Plaza Peru that said they can't assign new numbers, seems to be a passporte thing.
My new number is good for 6 months, as long as I keep paying the minimum for service which is just fine with me because I plan to be back in June and July to do my Camino.
My Orange number in France goes void if I don't keep paying for my plan each month.
Just a heads up, to be warned is to be prepared.

That's what I did for last year's trip to Spain. Can you maybe send me a private message and explain what the data topoff numbers mean. I speak Spanish and I still can't follow their system for adding data. It doesn't specify how much I'm topping off with. I was going to get the Movistar SIM because I'm doing the Primitivo and looking at the coverage map that one has the largest area of coverage.

Here is a link for prepaid data packages for Movistar, you could also ask at a Movistar store and ask them how to add extra data, usually you top off with an amount to cover the data packages and then you send a SMS (text) to buy more data.
http://www.movistar.es/particulares/movil/tarifas-moviles/mas-megas

If I arrive in SJPdP via Biarritz and want to purchase a Spanish Sim Card...
1) Is it possible before Pamplona?
2) Which Cell service is better?
I have used Orange before (reasonable cost) but there were places (on the Camino) with no coverage.

1) Probably not, Pamplona is your best bet.
2) Take your pick:http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Spain
Vodafone has more coverage than Orange.
Vodafone has a "Tourist SIM" that includes 2GB of data and 60min of calls to USA/CAN for €15, automatically recharges the next four weeks provided you top off before.
https://www.vodafone.es/c/particulares/es/tienda/movil/tourist-in-spain-vf/

1) There is no place to my knowledge to purchase a Spanish SIM before Pamplona
2) I prefer Vodafone in Pamplona. It's easy to find and they are very used to helping pilgrims.
3) I would never carry more than one phone. When I walk without a group, I don't even carry a phone. TWO????

The reason I'm bringing two phones is because I'll be in Spain for almost a month after walking the Camino. 1 phone with my USA number for emergencies and to stay in touch with friends back home via WhatsApp & 1 phone to stay in touch with my friends who live in Spain
( without having to worry about having a wifi connection )
Am I missing something here?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm not entirely sure, but I think maybe you are.
Vodafone has a "Tourist SIM" that includes 2GB of data and 60min of calls to USA/CAN for €15, automatically recharges the next four weeks provided you top off before.
If you got the Tourist SIM (as outlined above) you would have 60 minutes to talk to USA and Spain combined, and you would have enough data for WhatsApp, email, etc., even without wifi.

As I understand it, if you want more talking time you can just top up your card and calls will cost 0.012 Euro/minute plus a fixed charge of .30/call.

What would Verizon charge you for using the phone or data when you are in Spain?

The Spanish SIM card will do it all: calls in Spain, calls to USA, data when you don't have wifi, and of course emergency calls (112 is the emergency number). If your family needs to call you from the USA, they would need your new phone number, or they could email you first. (After all, since you'll have data, you can receive emails and web-based messages anytime, unless you turn them off!) I am not certain how they would be charged for those calls from the US, but you probably aren't expecting many calls!

I got the Vodafone Tourist SIM last year, and it served me well, except I was expecting to be able to use it for SMS messaging and I couldn't. So you should use an internet-based app for that, such as WhatsApp or Facebook messenger, or even email. This year I expect to get it again.

The reason I'm bringing two phones is because I'll be in Spain for almost a month after walking the Camino. 1 phone with my USA number for emergencies and to stay in touch with friends back home via WhatsApp & 1 phone to stay in touch with my friends who live in Spain
( without having to worry about having a wifi connection )
Yes, you are missing everything :)
You only need 1 phone and 1 SIM card. @C clearly post above mine is absolutely spot on.

Here is a link for prepaid data packages for Movistar, you could also ask at a Movistar store and ask them how to add extra data, usually you top off with an amount to cover the data packages and then you send a SMS (text) to buy more data.
http://www.movistar.es/particulares/movil/tarifas-moviles/mas-megas

Thanks. The Simsforspain site doesn't state how much data you get for the 15 Euro option. I was able to figure it out by looking at the rate listing from the link you gave me and I found a full page with detailed terms that was immensely helpful. I went back to simsforspain and I purchased a SIM with 2GB of data, & free national calls.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
K now I get it. Not much of a reason to bring two phones.
Thanks ladies.
That being said I'm still gonna bring two phones if God forbid I lose one but I'll walk with only one phone. I'll leave one at my friends house in Madrid for emergency.
Last year in A Coruna on our way to the train station ( to visit Santiago de Compostela ) my friend left his phone in the taxi. Ut Oh.
Thank God taxi driver brought it back. My friend said it was 1 out of a 100 chance.

That's why my phone is in a case, with a lanyard that attaches to the strap of my cross-body pouch that almost never leaves my body when I travel.

I'm the same way but I figure what's the worst that could happen?
Either I bring an extra phone for no reason or I lose my phone & have a backup

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm the same way but I figure what's the worst that could happen?
Either I bring an extra phone for no reason or I lose my phone & have a backup
You must be a veteran. Our kind always pack for contingencies and redundant com. :cool:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.