• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish SIM card?

Chriswalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2005), Platta (partial 2013)
Greetings,

I will be landing in Madrid and will walk a section of the Plata. Can't wait! Question: Which SIM card offers a reasonable deal for one month of service? I'm in Morocco now and apparently my Orange card would be blocked in Spain. What company should I look for and is there an office in the airport. I saw the thread for Portugal/vodaphone is there something similar for Spain?

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Greetings,

I will be landing in Madrid and will walk a section of the Plata. Can't wait! Question: Which SIM card offers a reasonable deal for one month of service? I'm in Morocco now and apparently my Orange card would be blocked in Spain. What company should I look for and is there an office in the airport. I saw the thread for Portugal/vodaphone is there something similar for Spain?

There are a few different options of providers to choose in Spain. I used Vodafone, Moviestar, Orange in my previous Caminos. and personally i favor Orange best because it has really good coverage while I was on VDLP, 4G most of the times, and it has probably the best data packages, and they have a call center (900906121 from Spain) dedicated to English speakers where you can top-up, check balance and ask any questions. I hope this helps.

Thanks Dennisying! Any idea the cost of the initial purchase? I'm spoiled, In Morocco Orange has a five dollar SIM that's good for a month phone and data. I forget the amount minutes/data because I don't use much. I'm in for "sticker shock".

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Greetings,

I have also researched the SIM cards. I'll be coming in from California and Verizon is very, very expensive for an international plan. My friend who lived in Europe said the Vodaphone has the largest coverage in Spain. I put together some notes that I will share with you. Good luck on your decision and please let us know how it's working out when you get there!
Spain
Spain has four network operators, Movistar, Vodafone, Orange, and Yoigo. As of 2016, Vodafone had 95% 4G coverage, followed by Orange with 89%, and Movistar and Yoigo each cover 86% of the population. Movistar is known to have better coverage overall, but check the areas you specifically plan to visit. Spain has a healthy resellers market, but most don’t offer 4G on prepaid SIM cards.
Your Options
Both Vodafone and Orange offer a tourist SIM card. With Vodafone, you can get 2GB of 4G data and 50 minutes of international calls for about $16, and Orange offers 3GB of 4G data and 30 minutes of international calls for about $37. Movistar charges you about $11 for a SIM card, and you can get another 1gb of 4G data for about $10. Yoigo charges you about $21 for SIM card but you get that amount in credit.
Other Tips
Spain requires you to register your SIM card, so you must bring a photo ID. There are no branded SIM card provider stores in the major airports in Spain and the available SIM card stands are overpriced, so wait to buy a SIM card if possible (there’s free wifi at the Madrid airport). See here for more details on SIM cards in Spain.

Attachments

• Cell phone service in Spain.pdf
    167.4 KB · Views: 58
I've seen my local Galician friends complain strenuously about Yoigo's service. Personally, I've had good luck with Orange, the only company I've used over there.

Orange for sure. I tried Vodaphone in 2017 and had issues with coverage. When I tried to reload the account I found out that using my French CC, the account was never launched and that was after using it for a month.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
->> Olivia Covarrubias

GREAT write-up!!!

One more thing to consider is what bands (frequencies) your phone supports vs what bands the carrier is using. (I have run into this problem many times in Europe... even though my phone is unlocked & I'm using a local sim)

Here is a great site to make sure your phone will work in Spain... Just search for your phone and then look for the country and select details.

https://www.frequencycheck.com/

Cheers,

Last edited:
->> Olivia Covarrubias

GREAT write-up!!!

One more thing to consider is what bands (frequencies) your phone supports vs what bands the carrier is using. (I have run into this problem many times in Europe... even though my phone is unlocked & I'm using a local sim)

Here is a great site to make sure your phone will work in Spain... Just plug-in your phone and then look for the country and select details.

Cheers,
THANK YOU!

->> Olivia Covarrubias

GREAT write-up!!!

Here is a great site to make sure your phone will work in Spain... Just plug-in your phone and then look for the country and select details.

Cheers,
I have never traveled with a cell and am considering buying an inexpensive phone in Spain for emergencies and reservations what would you consider am in Madrid for two days before going Camino de la Plata.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have also researched the SIM cards. I'll be coming in from California and Verizon is very, very expensive for an international plan. My friend who lived in Europe said the Vodaphone has the largest coverage in Spain. I put together some notes that I will share with you. Good luck on your decision and please let us know how it's working out when you get there!
Spain
Spain has four network operators, Movistar, Vodafone, Orange, and Yoigo. As of 2016, Vodafone had 95% 4G coverage, followed by Orange with 89%, and Movistar and Yoigo each cover 86% of the population. Movistar is known to have better coverage overall, but check the areas you specifically plan to visit. Spain has a healthy resellers market, but most don’t offer 4G on prepaid SIM cards.
Your Options
Both Vodafone and Orange offer a tourist SIM card. With Vodafone, you can get 2GB of 4G data and 50 minutes of international calls for about $16, and Orange offers 3GB of 4G data and 30 minutes of international calls for about $37. Movistar charges you about $11 for a SIM card, and you can get another 1gb of 4G data for about $10. Yoigo charges you about $21 for SIM card but you get that amount in credit.
Other Tips
Spain requires you to register your SIM card, so you must bring a photo ID. There are no branded SIM card provider stores in the major airports in Spain and the available SIM card stands are overpriced, so wait to buy a SIM card if possible (there’s free wifi at the Madrid airport). See here for more details on SIM cards in Spain.
Spain
Your Options
Other Tips
Thank you. This is very helpful. I think we'll go for Orange and will certainly report back! :)

Greetings,

We gust bought one for a month from Vodafone for 20€ for 30 days 5gb data. They can be reserved for pick up at the airport in advance if you arrive during their working hours.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Woah! This is interesting... How does one go about reserving one? I would definitely do that.

Carolynm, I just went to the Vodafone site and didn't see that offer. Are you picking it up at the Madrid airport?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Where should I get my Sim on the Camino Frances for Spain?We are starting at SJPDP. Roncesvalles? Pamplona?can I get it ahead of time online in the US?

For those of you in the USA and are looking for a DATA ONLY sim (for a tablet/iPad), I found this offer on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013EBUPDI/?tag=casaivar02-20

A couple of notes:
  • EE is the carrier, which is owned by Orange & T-Mobile, so coverage/speed should be good.
  • This plan is for 6GB of DATA ONLY!
  • This plan lasts for 90 days! Nice :cool:
  • Yes, there are 2 negative reviews, but I think they didn't follow the instructions and/or did not have an unlocked device and/or did not realize it was for data only.
  • You are allowed to tether (set-up a local hotspot to share)
  • Seems like you have to activate in Europe and THEN go to their website to turn it on.
  • I guess you could use this on a phone but understand you won't be able to make calls/texts... since it is only data.
For $30, I took the chance and will use this in my iPad to upload photos to my blog. I will report on my experience. (FYI I leave May 19 and plan to start walking May 22.)

Cheers,

-jj

For those of you in the USA and are looking for a DATA ONLY sim (for a tablet/iPad), I found this offer on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013EBUPDI/?tag=casaivar02-20

A couple of notes:
  • EE is the carrier, which is owned by Orange & T-Mobile, so coverage/speed should be good.
  • This plan is for 6GB of DATA ONLY!
  • This plan lasts for 90 days! Nice :cool:
  • Yes, there are 2 negative reviews, but I think they didn't follow the instructions and/or did not have an unlocked device and/or did not realize it was for data only.
  • You are allowed to tether (set-up a local hotspot to share)
  • Seems like you have to activate in Europe and THEN go to their website to turn it on.
  • I guess you could use this on a phone but understand you won't be able to make calls/texts... since it is only data.
For $30, I took the chance and will use this in my iPad to upload photos to my blog. I will report on my experience. (FYI I leave May 19 and plan to start walking May 22.)

Cheers,

-jj
Sounds like a fair price and I hope it works out!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Greetings,

I used Vodafone and had no problems, it was pretty reasonably priced too. I initially tried for Orange but for some strange reason they said my passport was invalid. They had pretty good deals as well and I think coverage was about the same.

Carolynm, I just went to the Vodafone site and didn't see that offer. Are you picking it up at the Madrid airport?
We arrived too late in Porto so picked it up on the city. Maybe the deal was only for last month.

I'm currently walking the Camino del Norte and I got a SIM card with Orange in the town of Zarautz. I had to pay 10€ for the SIM card and the cheapest plan for one month was 8.95 € and that has 2 GB data but no call time. I got a plan that was 14.95€ for the month with 40 minutes of call time and a little more data.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.