• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish speaker please

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
what is the correct way to say "I'm learning Spanish".
I have been told you should - and shouldn't - use the estoy.....iendo tense.

So is Estoy aprendiendo a hablar Español right or wrong? And if wrong, what is a better way to express that idea?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So wish I could answer your question. :p:p:p Alas I can't but I too would like to know how to say this.

So is Estoy aprendiendo a hablar Español right or wrong? And if wrong, what is a better way to express that idea?

This is correct and Spanish is my first language. It's what I would say if I was going to say that I was learning X language.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you @alaskadiver ! That's exactly what I want to say. I was told you should only use it if you were in a lesson right now - but lessons are not the only way to learn, and I figured this would be a good place to check with a native speaker!

I was told you should only use it if you were in a lesson right now ...!
In that case you would say estoy en mi clase de espanol (assuming you are answering a phone call while in class and need to get rid of the caller), or estoy en mi clase de espanol.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In that case you would say estoy en mi clase de espanol (assuming you are answering a phone call while in class and need to get rid of the caller), or estoy en mi clase de espanol.
I'm a bit confused here because you used OR but I can't see no difference :confused:

Hola Kiwi. Yo también estoy aprendiendo Español. He estudiado Espanol solo para el Camino , porque quiero hablar can los nativos cuando estoy en España. Es una lengua buena. Voy a hacer el Camino en el mes de Septiembre, voy a empezar el 7 o 8 de Septiembre desde Saint Jean Pied de Port.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@Kiwi-family I have a week left in my Beginning Spanish II class, so I am no expert. But, believe you are referring to the use of the present progressive. I have attached a couple of pages from a text for your review.

Technically, I think the use of of the present progressive is limited in Spanish to right now, but who speaks perfect Spanish, English, etc.

I once mastered the phrase: "I speak a little Spanish, very badly".. But in Spanish. I got me by in Central America and Cuba, but in Spain I was told to stop mangling the language... And it didn't go down too well in France when I forgot which side of the border we were on. Scott did far better with his international sign language..

A couple of months ago I used my new language skills and received a warm welcome and an occasional tilting of the head. However, at the Parador in Cambados the woman behind the desk interrupted me and said "in English PLEASE!". Both my son and I took a fit of laughter. Throughout our stay they preferred to speak to us in English, but this was limited to the front desk. Both, my sons speak pretty good Spanish ... not sure what it was all about, and it didn't matter. Learning a language requires mistakes and we need to have a sense of humor. Just smile and go for it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think the broader point here is that in Castilian Spanish, the use of Estar plus the "-ing" form of a Spanish verb (I think it's called the gerund, estoy caminando, etc) is used a lot less frequently than in other "brands" of Spanish, particularly from the Americas.

It's kind of a fine point, though, and everyone will understand you. No one will correct you, Rachel, but will smile in appreciation!

[eview.

Technically, I think the use of of the present progressive is limited in Spanish to right now...
Yes, right now, but that doesn't necessarily mean in the current second or minute. For exapmple, in the case of taking a semester of Spanish, it is "right now" even if you are as you are speaking at work, at home, doing something else.

Estoy apprendiendo can mean I am learning, as in I take classes in the evening and hence learning, while estoy en clase means I am at the moment sitting in class.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

It's correct; however it would be even better if you used 'castellano' rather than 'español'; and if you are going to use 'español', than no capital letter.

= Estoy aprendiendo castellano.

In my mind, estoy + gerund = in the process of. I equate it to the French "en train de". Am I mistaken?

We were (gently) corrected in Spain when we referred to the language as Spanish. Oops!

The most fascinating thing for me was to hear Spaniards switch to English when my non English speaking Mexican sister-in-law spoke. Guess they thought she had a strong U.S. educational system Spanish accent.

The most fascinating thing for me was to hear Spaniards switch to English when my non English speaking Mexican sister-in-law spoke. Guess they thought she had a strong U.S. educational system Spanish accent.
Or probably also a note of ... hmmm... the old cast (not so old perhapso_O) cast system, or snobbism. As is often seen in France when Quebecers speak. :rolleyes:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you ever checked out Coffee Break Spanish - Free Lessons? I think he is from Scotland.

Thanks linkster,
I've just had a look, it looks like only the first lesson is free, and being a true Scot prefer the free sites :) I have completed Duolingo, several Memrise courses, an courses on FutureLearn, Coursera and EDX. I'm far from competent but I talk for one hour a week both with a native Spanish lady and a Spanish man on Skype.

I think that is giving me the confidence to use words that I already know.

Hi Linkster. I had been learning Spanish for a couple of years at nightschool, but kept my secret hidden.
We visited some friends that we have on Menorca for a 2 week holiday.
When I got the menu I ordered in Spanish and my friend (One of the owners) said "excellent, but when you speak to the other staff, please speak English".
Evidently they had spent many afternoons in the winter learning English and needed to practise it on a friendly face.
That's probably the reason in your case.

Incidentally, as we know other nationalities are much better at languages than us, lazy English.
When I first spoke to the owner's son (owner mentioned above) he was just 7.
At school he spoke Menorquin or Catalan. He was learning Castiliano and English.
I was going to try to learn Catalan but the nearest night school classes were too far away.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am trying to learn Spanish also without much success. It would be an advantage for me even after I do the Camino Frances since I live in California and we have so many Spanish speaking people here. Luckily I am doing the Camino with a guy that speaks not only Spanish, but the kind of Spanish they speak in Spain since he grew up in Madrid Spain. He said he doesn't understand some dialects that they speak in northern Spain however, but that most of those people also speak his kind of Spanish.

I am trying to learn Spanish also without much success. It would be an advantage for me even after I do the Camino Frances since I live in California and we have so many Spanish speaking people here. Luckily I am doing the Camino with a guy that speaks not only Spanish, but the kind of Spanish they speak in Spain since he grew up in Madrid Spain. He said he doesn't understand some dialects that they speak in northern Spain however, but that most of those people also speak his kind of Spanish.
He may be referring to Euskera which is spoken in the Basque country and to Galician. They are not dialects of spanish. They are their own language.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
He may be referring to Euskera which is spoken in the Basque country and to Galician. They are not dialects of spanish. They are their own language.
Yes alaskadiver I believe he was talking about the Basque country now that I think about, but he said most Basque people also speak Spanish. And Portuguese, forget about it, he doesn't understand that at all!

It's better to say 'estudio' as the verb This implies you are studying the language over time. As hss been said estoy estudiando means you are studying right now. Aprender is more to do with learning a new fact or skill that is over and done with
So IMHO estudio castellano is the best way to say that you are going throuh the process of learning the Spanish language.
I'm not a Spanish expert but can converse comfortably with natives

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I learnt to say "I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish". I went into a green grocers in Irun and said this to the young assistant. She shrugged her shoulders and said "I don't speak English". We settled on a one all draw.
Three months later in a tourist information office in Italy I launched into my best "Los sent, no hablo Espaniol". After an embarrassing silence the lady behind the counter said in fluent English "well, I don't speak Spanish either, but I don't think it's going to be a problem".
A little language is a dangerous thing

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Los sent, no hablo Espaniol".
Since we are splitting hairs, and in preparation for your next Camino, it's "lo siento".

Will never forget the scolding when I was living in Ukraine, in a traditionally Russian speaking city.

Lady at the bus stop starts asking me something that was way beyond my Russian language skills. I respond, in my broken Russian the equivalent of "lo siento, no hablo ruso". Oh dear, she was s'eaking Ukrainian to me! :(:(

I felt so bad.

I think the broader point here is that in Castilian Spanish, the use of Estar plus the "-ing" form of a Spanish verb (I think it's called the gerund, estoy caminando, etc) is used a lot less frequently than in other "brands" of Spanish, particularly from the Americas.

It's kind of a fine point, though, and everyone will understand you. No one will correct you, Rachel, but will smile in appreciation!

Well, I was corrected often. I used manejar for drive. OMGoodness thought Spanish pilgrim was going to faint dead away. After recovering from his feint he said: conducir, conducir. And, caminar instead of andar, another problem. All corrections came with laughs and jokes and I learned a lot. But, correct me they did.

Practically all my Spanish study has been in Mexico and the language certainly isn't called castellano there. There are differences but people in Spain can understanding me. (Me understanding rapid speech is another matter). I study at home with a professor from Valencia and she refers to the language as "español." OP don't sweat the small stuff, everyone will understand "estoy aprendiendo." Do the best you can, and don't sweat it.

Well, I was corrected often. I used manejar for drive. OMGoodness thought Spanish pilgrim was going to faint dead away. After recovering from his feint he said: conducir, conducir. And, caminar instead of andar, another problem. All corrections came with laughs and jokes and I learned a lot. But, correct me they did.
"Manejar" is not used in Spain. But it's what you would/could use in Latin America. It's the word I always use when speaking to my Cuban family. But in Spain I use their words for things. In this case it's "conducir". In Spain they always assume I'm from the Canary Islands because of my accent. :) But my family actually emigrated out of Asturias and Galicia. Everyone in Cuba managed to pick up the Canarian accent because of the sheer numbers that emigrated from there. Very much akin to what happened with the American accent.

It's all the same language. Just like American English vs British English. Some words are used and some are not but everyone clearly understands you.

Last edited:
Still on subject but in a lighter vein, I hope.

I was washing socks in an albergue on the Camino Frances when a man came in and in pretty poor Spanish asked me how to book in. I told him, in probably worse Spanish that the lady in the bar handled bookings.

Later we found out that he was Irish and I am Scottish! So naturally we had a few beers together.

That was three years ago and I'm glad to say my Spanish is a bit better now. :)

Well that's all been most informative! Thank you very much to everyone who shared. When you anticipate using a phrase often I figure you might as well get it right!
All my learning so far has been non- book learning so I had no idea about the lack of capitalization - won't forget it now though.
And I'm about to start reading the Bible in Spanish so I can pick up a bit of spelling convention.
Thanks again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am not a native Spanish speaker, but that's how I would say it. I am happy just to get my general point across! No te preocupas...

Well it is true that the gerund is used less frequently in Spanish than in English, this is a situation where it is correct and appropriate. The way you put it is perfectly fine.

I learned Spanish as an exchange student in Mexico 40 years ago, I'm still fluent, Dream still in Spanish and also worked in Barcelona for 2 years before retiring. I never learned the verb tense OS as it's not used in Mexico. I walked SJPP SDC onto Finisterre and Muxia and despite never using OS the spaniards were all pleasantly surprised at my Spanish. My experience with learning languages is not to worry (be vulnerable) about making mistakes, JUST DO IT!

As a Spanish speaker myself I would say:
"Estoy en el processo de aprender castellano", and you could add" "favor de hablar despacio." (Spanards will appreciate your saying castellano & not espanol, which is their nationality)
Buen camino!

As a Spanish speaker myself I would say:
"Estoy en el processo de aprender castellano", and you could add" "favor de hablar despacio." (Spanards will appreciate your saying castellano & not espanol, which is their nationality)
Buen camino!

Yes Spaniards consider their "Castellano" as British consider their Br-English () to be the purest English vs what we Canadians (and Aussies, South Africans, New Zealanders etc etc etc ) speak. However as a polyglot I never turn my nose up at or correct another who is sincerely trying to speak a 2nd, 3rd or 4th etc language. Estoy aprendiendo hablar el Español is correct enough

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
On one of the South American channels we get up here sometimes instead of breaking to commercials they have this thing where they ask people from all Spanish speaking countries to guess what words typical of one country means. It is really fuuny and goes to show how rich the language is in all its variations.

I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help myself. I do not believe the definite article el is required, and español (Spanish language) should not be capitalized. Español (Spain the country proper name) should be capitalized.

I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help myself. I do not believe the definite article el is required, and español (Spanish language) should not be capitalized. Español (Spain the country proper name) should be capitalized.
And it's "a hablar" - "to speak", not just "learning speak". ;)

Regarding capitalised letters, although Santo is no longer capitalised:

https://www.portaleducativo.net/movil/segundo-basico/71/Uso-de-las-mayusculas-y-minusculas

Hey, Linkster went there first! :cool:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Está perfecto!

. Solo para decirte que en español no se capitalizan los idiomas como en inglés. Lo ha dicho perfectamente! Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.