• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish words of the Mass

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Our Spanish is good enough to follow the words of the Mass and the preacher. However we are not able to join in with making the congregational responses, which we would love to do.
Could some one please post the Spanish versicles and responses here to help us and others like us.
If they are different for the Pilgrim's Mass then that is what we really need most of all, including any sung sections.
Thank you
Tio Tel and Tia Valeria

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you, just what we wanted. We can print ourselves a Spanish sheet out now.
Also great for non Spanish speakers as it is double column pages; English on the left and Spanish on the right.
Is there is any variation for the Pilgrims' Mass, as a special service?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One thing we noticed about the Mass in Spain was that how the congregation responds to the various elements of the liturgy is different in almost every church we attended. It appears to be up to the celebrant priest. Some times we stood almost the entire Mass. Sometimes we knelt almost the entire Mass. Sometimes not at all. It was an interesting experience.

We have two Masses on Sunday...one in English and one in Spanish. The attendance is about the same.
On special days...Our patron Saint's Day (St Timothy), or Holy Days of Obligation where we can have a bi-lingual Mass, Father uses English for the proper of the Mass, the Lectors alternate the 1st and 2nd Readings and the Intercessions. The Homily is read fully in both languages. The responses, however, are in Latin.

Here's my point though: a few practicing Catholics (and I would guess other denomination)...may go on "autopilot" as far as standing, sitting or kneeling. Often the faithful will watch the Altar Servers for the proper pose.

I found, especially at my first Pilgrim's Mass at Roncesvalles that the majority of the pilgrims were not Catholic and, consequently, stood the entire time...not a bad thing, though not expected.
The Mass, itself, especially in the Latin Church...is basically the same...From the Blessing at the beginning to the Sending forth at the conclusion. When the Mass is said in Spanish, key words or phrases can be very different in inflection and order…thus harder to follow.

You’ve been given the perfect link as to what is said in Spanish…by the time you finish your Camino…you’ll be a veteran in many new things.

Saludos,

Arn

Thanks, Renegade, just what we always wanted too!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You're welcome! The website I found that on actually has links to various translations of the Mass, the cool thing is I can download the PDF to my Nook. Still deciding if I am going to bring it next Camino or not....but either way, if you print it out front/back to paper, stick it in a sheet protector, and carry it with you, you will have some idea of where you are in the Mass and what the responses should be.

Hi ,
I have typed out the prayers and responses of the Mass in Spanish .
It is two A4 sheets and can be cut in half to form a 8 page A6 size booklet.
I can send it as an attachment to anybody who sends me a PM with their their email address.

Lydia

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back