• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish

Eric1985

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi. Just wondering. I have some words of Spanish and learning some more at the minute. If im been honest im not the best in the world for leaning languages. Would I get by on basic Spanish without offending any of the locals or worse making a tit out of myself ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did it with zero Spanish and I don't think I offended anyone too much. Of course it is easier and more expedient if you know at least a little. The time you go might make a difference. I went in Sept/Oct and there were plenty of people around willing to translate or at least pantomime more aggressively than I did.

I did it with zero Spanish and I don't think I offended anyone too much. Of course it is easier and more expedient if you know at least a little. The time you go might make a difference. I went in Sept/Oct and there were plenty of people around willing to translate or at least pantomime more aggressively than I did.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, you will do well....mostly. It depends on your Camino (the Frances is quite "domesticated", well signposted, many restaurants, albergues, locals are used to foreigners) and the season (again, in the Frances, from March to October there will be many people (including some bilingual fellows). It could be problematic if you have "issues" with your meals, because navigating a menu or asking the waiter if a particular dish have or does not have onions may be difficult. Otherwise, ask for "menu del dia".

... I have some words of Spanish and learning some more at the minute. If im been honest im not the best in the world for leaning languages. Would I get by on basic Spanish without offending any of the locals or worse making a tit out of myself ;)

First congratulations that you make the effort to learn some Spanish! As others have said the people that live alongside the Camino are used since a long time to foreigners passing by. When I walked the Camino Frances the first time in winter 1999 I spoke basically no Spanish and I arrived well in SdC. Now I do speak Spanish and it is simply so much more fun to be able to communicate with the people that live alongside the way. Also the Spanish are very grateful and graceful towards foreigners just trying to get some Spanish words out. So, in short, don't worry how good or bad your Spanish is, just use what you have, learn more and Buen Camino! SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Although I agree with the comments about the fact that you can get by with no Spanish, (I did in my first Camino), it does add immesurably to the experience if you can communicate. Knowing a few phrases won't help though, because, trust me, you won't have a clue when someone replies. My solution, strongly recommended, is some time and effort on the Duolingo website. It's free, and has helped me gain confidence.

Although I agree with the comments about the fact that you can get by with no Spanish, (I did in my first Camino), it does add immesurably to the experience if you can communicate. Knowing a few phrases won't help though, because, trust me, you won't have a clue when someone replies. My solution, strongly recommended, is some time and effort on the Duolingo website. It's free, and has helped me gain confidence.
Hi, I am also using Duolingo having never done any Spanish at all and I also find it really helpful!!

Duolingo is good, using it myself. However, I found that the Spanish are always ready to help. I asked an old lady at the desk of the albergue in Najera how to pronounce the town name and she took great pleasure in teaching me how to pronounce a few words. Had a good laugh at my expense as once she started, she would not let me in until I got it right. You will pick up quite a bit as you walk if you keep your ears open and ask for help

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A translator app on my Ipod helped with menu questions - although a Spanish-English dictionary is just as good. You will pick up basic words out of necessity.

Obviously, the more Spanish you know the easier it will be for you. I took the Pimsleur course and it helped jumpstart me, but if I got in a rapid fire conversation, I was quickly lost and pulled out my translator app that you can speak your home language and it responds in Spanish. Also, you will be surprised at how much Spanish you will pick up as you progress along the Camino.

I'm a fan of Duolingo as well. Use the website to do translations as that quickly improves your written Spanish comprehension. I've been uploading topics relevant to the VDLP so I learn a little about the route while learning the language. Between Duolingo for 6 months and a night class I'm hoping to have some practical Spanish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I got through Spanish III in Pimsleur and found it enormously helpful. There were only a handful of times that I couldn't understand the gist of what was being said to me.

I'm very happy I enrolled in Spanish language in adult evening class years ago. These four years come in very handy when I go to Spain, be it on a regular holiday or on a Camino.
The months before I'm off again , I try to read as many Spanish internet newspapers or watch the Spanish TV ( documentaries are ideal ) as possible to " train " my vocabulary and pronunciation.

Even though my conversations in Spanish only cover the basics ( but who wants to talk politics etc on the Camino anyway :) ) I notice that the Spaniards really appreciate my intentions.
People will be more forthcoming, invite you more easily to sit with them at their table, open that closed churchdoor for you etc...
I was also relieved to be able to express myself in a clear way in Spanish when visiting the Centro de Salud for a minor ailment and afterwards when I had to get a prescription at the pharmacy.

On the lesser travelled Camino del Ebro especially my basic Spanish came in very handy. No other pilgrim, except one man from Venezuela, so if I wanted to talk to someone it had to be with a Spaniard.

On the Frances I even got an unexpected discount at a hostal because I helped out the landlady translating between some French and German pilgrims.

And to finish : learning a new language is just fun. Certainly broadened my horzion.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my name is Xosé and I am doing a research on LGBT people who have done the Camino. I would be very grateful if you could help me through your experiences. If possible I would like to...
Can someone tell me what Spanish word is used in Spain to refer to hiking poles? Bastones? Palos? Also, as women in tv and movies generally are now referred to as "actores" rather than "actrices"...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.