• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish

sally069

Hello, I am new to the forum and I am hoping you guys will be able to help me. I am thinking of walking the Camino Portuguese in September and I don't speak any Spanish! Would this cause me any problems? Roughly speaking how long does it take to walk this Camino? Thanks

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Sally

I haven't walked this but ......

You can find information on the Camino Portugues on the Confraternity of St James Website.
The total distance from Porto is 232k with about half in Portugal and half in Spain. Depending on how far you plan to work each day you should be able to do this comfortable within two weeks

http://www.csj.org.uk/route-camino-portugues.htm

As for the language, presumably they speak Portuguese in the Portuguese half of the Camino.
There are refugios along the route so you could probably get by without much Portuguese/Spanish but it would be really worthwhile learning a few basic phrases.

I used John Brierly's excellent guide for the Camino Frances. He has also written a guide to the Camino Portugués from Porto to Santiago (Camino Guides:Findhorn Press, 2005)

Buen Camino

Mercury

Hi, Karin here. We did just about half the Portuguese route in May. Started in Valenca/Tui and made Santiago in 6 days...allowing for a relatively slow pace to give us time to adjust to jet lag. So yeah..the whole route from Porto in two weeks...doable. We spoke very little I'm ashamed to say :oops: BUT I do speak German...and that got us thru in two rather interesting occasions! With few key phrases...you should be able to get thru. People were very very helpful, kind and I'd go back in two seconds if someone handed me a ticket and said go! Stop home long enough to gather a few things...and GONE! The is a delightful little restaurant in Porrino...the alburge was memorable...ahhh....Ill be smiling the rest of the day now...

Guess you could also check our/my blog

http//:ksam-caminoportuguese.blogspot.com

Wishing you all the very best....Buen Camino, Karin

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just my 2 cents. In Portugal they speak a lot more English compared to Spain. You should have no problem there... in Spain, a smile and a dictionary will take you all the way to Santiago!

Saludos,
Ivar

I did the Porto-Santiago section in May in 11 days. I know no Portugese and just a little Spanish and had no problems. I agree with Ivar that more people in Portugal than in Spain speak English but in some of the smaller places they spoke only Portugese. You should have a way to communicate basic needs for getting a room etc.

Hi Sally, I'm doing el camino portuguese in September also, so if you see a "kangaroo" around, its going to be me and I will be able to help you, My name is Julio and I am from Brisbane, Australia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I Sally, I will be doing the same camino in September to, beginning in 22th, if you need help by that date just ask.

see you

Jose Valente

Hello Sally,

You are not the first nor the last non-spanish or portuguese person who don't speak both languages to walk this path. So, don't worry about.

Trying to help you (and it's no a joke) there's a free guide to download in http://www.amigosdelcamino.com for the Camino Portuguese ... in spanish or portuguese. I hope it's useful for you.

And don't worry for your language, portuguese and galician people are incredibly kind!!

Buen Camino, enjoy it!!

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Hi Sally
I did this walk last year in May/June, 2007 with four others, and we had a tiny amount of Portuguese and language was not a problem. A hint on leaving Porto - if you are taking transport out-as suggested by Brierly look for up to date information from the web site -. We got a bus but we hear the Metro would be better. On occasion you will not have a refugio but you can stay elsewhere as per the Guide. many hotels give large discounts to pilgrims because there is no refugio. The way is clearly marked . There are enough walkers to be able to meet others but not too many. More join on the Spanish side. The pastries are a treat !!
Regards Jill

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back