• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spare pair of shoes?

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We're currently walking on the Mozárabe, having walked from Almería to Baena. We took a bus and train to Málaga, where we have family, and we have the opportunity to drop what could be excess equipment, in order to make our packs even lighter.

We have been carrying a second pair of walking shoes, with the idea that if something went wrong with the pair we're currently using, we could swap. Things that could go wrong include damage to the current pair, and having to walk barefoot, or developing blisters or foot pain, which could be alleviated by swapping with the spare pair.

We'd welcome any advice, suggestion, discussion on this topic.

Thank you and Buen Camino to all who are currently walking!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We're currently walking on the Mozárabe, having walked from Almería to Baena. We took a bus and train to Málaga, where we have family, and we have the opportunity to drop what could be excess equipment, in order to make our packs even lighter.

We have been carrying a second pair of walking shoes, with the idea that if something went wrong with the pair we're currently using, we could swap. Things that could go wrong include damage to the current pair, and having to walk barefoot, or developing blisters or foot pain, which could be alleviated by swapping with the spare pair.

@AJGuillaume that’s a good question. Saw somewhere there’s a chain called Decathlon that serves the sporting market in Spain.

I always carry and always end up walking in a pair of Chaco sandals. If they were just evening shoes they would be too heavy, but I usually end up wearing them to walk for a few days every trip. Like you mentioned, they give blisters a chance to settle down. For me a second pair of tie up shoes would not be as useful- but if they are different from your main walking shoes they might provide some blister relief! Or change thing up enough to alleviate foot pain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I consider that a spare pair of hiking boots is too heavy. Why do not change them for walking sandals ? They are lighter can be used also in the evening to visit the town where you are.

For me, an extra pair of shoes "just in case" is too much extra weight. I do carry a pair of hiking sandals I generally use after the day's walk us done, and have occasionally used them for the day's walk. They are a backup but not "just in case".

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for the comments.

I should have stated that the two pairs we had been carrying are Keen sandals. In my case, one pair is Keen Newport H2, the other is Keen Arroyo II. In my wife's case they are two pairs of Newport H2.
Hi! Does your wife use those for her shower shoes as well?

I’m walking in Galicia in a pair of Altra all-weather shoes. In the evening I’m using a really light inexpensive pair of Adidas running shoes, which can double as walkers if the Altras get wonky. All good so far. The feet are a little happier going out at night and a sight more comfortable than in my all-day shoes.
All the best,
Paul

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my opinion - all you need is your regular hiking shoes and most of us prefer some sort of evening shoe - for me that evening shoe must double as a spare hiking shoe should my hiking shoes be problematic. So - for me - I wear my trail runners and carry either tevas or xero sandals. If you have TWO pairs of keens in your pack - I would pick the pair you like best and keep them. And either donate or mail your second pair of keens home.

One pair of good quality, well-fitted and broken-in walking shoes or boots, plus one pair of walking sandals for evening or off-day wear is all you need.

Many people also pack a pair of flip-flops or Crocs for shower use and evening wear. The flip-flops / Crocs can be hung outside your rucksack to dry.

Personally, I favor neon colors for this last category item. It makes me marginally more visible on the road, and the color might deter someone from "borrowing" them. Most folks go for simple black, brown, or navy Crocs or flip-flops. That is why I do not.

I would rather look like a parrot walking down the trail or on a road, than have to replace my muted color casual footwear.

Hope this helps,

Tom

I wear Toms as my second pair. They are super light. I have even worn them at times for up to about 8k on relatively smooth surfaces. Super comfortable and no break in at all. The best part about the company besides the great slip on shoe is for every pair they sell they give a pair away to a person in need.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bonjour AJ 👋👋👋 I am currently wrestling with the same decision ... what did you decide in the end?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

There so many places along the Way to purchase shoes if need be. You are not in the wilderness so not at all required. However, a pair of sandals, Crocs, or flip-flops is nice to have to allow your feet to breathe at the end of the day and to dry out and for showering...

I carry a pair of sandals with a covered toe. I am able to walk in them if I have to and I always wear them at the end of a day’s walk. Good luck

Just completed the Camino from Porto. I did take 2 pairs of HOKA Goat 5s. I’m glad I did as my 1st pair got wet & a lot of sand inside which irritated my feet that day. I wore the 2nd pair the rest of the trip. Both pairs were broken in before I started the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just completed the Camino from Porto. I did take 2 pairs of HOKA Goat 5s. I’m glad I did as my 1st pair got wet & a lot of sand inside which irritated my feet that day. I wore the 2nd pair the rest of the trip. Both pairs were broken in before I started the Camino.
Are these shoes Gore-Tex? You need GTX this time of year, just as much as you should avoid GTX in the dry months. Did you wear woollen socks?

As mentioned, an extra pair of shoes isn't necessary as there are numerous places to purchase shoes, unless you need size 13+. It is difficult to find large shoes in Spain and unfortunately, my shoes seam to break down before reaching Santiago (Altras, Hokas, Brooks on previous Caminos), but using hiking sandals on some days helps me get through with a single pair. By the way, I was able to find size 14 shoes in Sarria to help make the last few kms into Santiago a breeze. Buen Camino.

To all those who suggest that there are numerous places where one can purchase shoes: that may be the case on the Francés. We're on the Camino Mozárabe, having started first in Almería, and then from Málaga.
Believe me, there are stages where there are no shoe shops in little villages, and that if anything happened to the only pair of shoes I have, I may to walk barefoot for a few days until I come to a town where there is an adequate shoe shop 😊

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
To all those who suggest that there are numerous places where one can purchase shoes: that may be the case on the Francés. We're on the Camino Mozárabe, having started first in Almería, and then from Málaga.
Believe me, there are stages where there are no shoe shops in little villages, and that if anything happened to the only pair of shoes I have, I may to walk barefoot for a few days until I come to a town where there is an adequate shoe shop 😊
One reason why I recommend carrying a pair of hiking sandals as your "town shoes" and as back up for Camino walking.

One reason why I recommend carrying a pair of hiking sandals as your "town shoes" and as back up for Camino walking.
Our two pairs of "shoes" are walking sandals 😄
The one I am currently using is a Keen Newport H2. And it is now showing signs of wear and tear.

Our two pairs of "shoes" are walking sandals 😄
The one I am currently using is a Keen Newport H2. And it is now showing signs of wear and tear.
I also use two pairs of sandals for my Camino. I have a pair with a beefy sole and a lightweight pair that I can wear on the Camino if the others fail me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also use two pairs of sandals for my Camino. I have a pair with a beefy sole and a lightweight pair that I can wear on the Camino if the others fail me.
I'm thinking of getting a pair of Teva sandals that I'll use as my backup. They're lighter than the Keen sandals.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.