• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spare shoes..required?

ChristineLG

ChristineLG
Time of past OR future Camino
(Partial Camino Frances dep SJPDP 14 April, 2019)
Hi I am doing the camino (not all due to time restraints) so just SJPDP to Roncesvalles and then from Sarria to Santiago..mid to end April ..I have goretex salomon hiking boots as main shoes..just wondering..will I really need a spare pair of hiking shoes in case of rain..or will a pair of waterproof, toe protecting, sandals (Keen whisper)..be sufficient for spare..incase of wet..?? Also..would I have enough time to do from O'cebreiro aswell..dep 17th arrive 26th Santiago?..I will be carrying my backpack and am 45yrs..not overly fit but reasonably and work on my feet all day normally..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi I am doing the camino (not all due to time restraints) so just SJPDP to Roncesvalles and then from Sarria to Santiago..mid to end April ..I have goretex salomon hiking boots as main shoes..just wondering..will I really need a spare pair of hiking shoes in case of rain..or will a pair of waterproof, toe protecting, sandals (Keen whisper)..be sufficient for spare..incase of wet..?? Also..would I have enough time to do from O'cebreiro aswell..dep 17th arrive 26th Santiago?..I will be carrying my backpack and am 45yrs..not overly fit but reasonably and work on my feet all day normally..

That is an individual choice. I use one pair of trail runners and that's it. No extras, no spares, no end of day slip ons. My shoes are comfortable, so I don't find a need to do anything else.

I do carry a spare pair of insoles, and at when I arrive at my stay for the night and shower, I remove the walking insoles, and replace them with the spares. That lets the walking insoles time to air out. Then I put on fresh socks and I'm ready for sightseeing, dinner, etc.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I carried three pairs of footwear once while walking the Camino. Once....
I had my New Balance to walk in, a pair of inexpensive rubber sandals for the shower and going to the toilet at night etc and a third pair of footwear, Teva hiking sandals.
I ended up almost never wearing the Tevas. They are great but for that trip no use for them. I even walked the Camino in them for a couple of days just to justify bringing them, :D. On that same Camino it never rained on me and was quite warm the entire time. My rain jacket and fleece pullover were never worn. So I had hiking sandals, a rain jacket and a fleece pullover that were excess weight. Probably at least a kilo's worth.
I will never do that again.

I have goretex salomon hiking boots as main shoes..just wondering..will I really need a spare pair of hiking shoes in case of rain..or will a pair of waterproof, toe protecting, sandals (Keen whisper)..be sufficient for spare..incase of wet..??

There is never any reason to carry two pairs of shoes, although a very light pair of something to wear around the albergue and the pueblo could be defended.

If you discover that your shoes are not well adapted to the conditions on the hike, then make your way to a piilgrim supplies shop and replace them.

The alburgues do not let you wear your shoes inside...many demanding you remove them before even entering the establishment. It is unsanitary to walk in your bare feet, so you will need at least some type of sandal/flip-flop/crocs, etc...to walk around inside. I'm sure some would argue that you could wear socks, but it might not be the optimal choice if the floors are not clean and/or wet. Nothing is really 'mandatory', but some things just make sense.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The alburgues do not let you wear your shoes inside...many demanding you remove them before even entering the establishment. It is unsanitary to walk in your bare feet, so you will need at least some type of sandal/flip-flop/crocs, etc...to walk around inside. I'm sure some would argue that you could wear socks, but it might not be the optimal choice if the floors are not clean and/or wet. Nothing is really 'mandatory', but some things just make sense.
:D
On the warm weather Caminos I admit to walking around barefoot sometimes. I got jokingly called "hippie" and "Jesus" by fellow pilgrims.

just wondering..will I really need a spare pair of hiking shoes in case of rain.,.?? ...Also..would I have enough time to do from O'cebreiro aswell..dep 17th arrive 26th Santiago?.
Most people have only one pair of walking footwear and something lightweight for the evenings. For the timing question, using any guide book or itinerary, count out your days from arrival in SJPP, to getting transport from Roncesvalles to O Cebreiro or Sarria, and then walking into Santiago. Decide if you would rather be pressured by time or not. Decide if it is important to get the compostela, in which case you cannot take transportation after Sarria.

That is an individual choice. I use one pair of trail runners and that's it. No extras, no spares, no end of day slip ons. My shoes are comfortable, so I don't find a need to do anything else.

I do carry a spare pair of insoles, and at when I arrive at my stay for the night and shower, I remove the walking insoles, and replace them with the spares. That lets the walking insoles time to air out. Then I put on fresh socks and I'm ready for sightseeing, dinner, etc.
At last a kindred spirit!...Even from Canterbury to Rome I only had my Zamberlan boots...nothing else, no sandals,2nd pair,thongs etc

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
One time of stepping into a pool of unidentifiable liquid by the toilet will convince you that a simple lightweight pair of some alternative footwear is a reasonable accommodation...

You'll be spending quite a bit of time getting to your starting point, then transporting yourself across the country to start a second time. The walk up to O'Cebreiro is lovely.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You'll be spending quite a bit of time getting to your starting point, then transporting yourself across the country to start a second time. The walk up to O'Cebreiro is lovely.
It makes more sense to me to skip the one or two day walk from St Jean to Roncesvalles and the travel time to get across Spain, and just start before O Cebreiro.

One time of stepping into a pool of unidentifiable liquid by the toilet will convince you that a simple lightweight pair of some alternative footwear is a reasonable accommodation...
That's why I put my boots back on

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh wow.. great responses.. thanks much!! So I will ditch the spare pair of hikers and just take the sandals for albergues (standing in wee..oh no!!:eek:) and wet weather which is quite likely in April. I know it seems quite mad going all the way to St Jean for the first bit but well I am a bit mad..heehee..and I just can't bring myself not to start from the start and the Pyranees part really appeals and even though I do have to make the huge sacrifice of missing the most part.. time is just not flexible in my case unfortunately. I think if I manage well physically I could fit in O'cebreiro but good point yes it is very important to me I do finish in time and get the Compostella..so perhaps better I risk finishing early than late.. I can always do some side trekking I suppose..Thanks again everyone!!

Sure, don't over-pack - and there are shops in Spain - I understand the Pyrenees desire - but how will you get from Roncesvalles?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I go barefoot lots of places, like the beach and around swimming pools. Skin is the bodies natural protective barrier.

Ditto
The beach and pools are obviously not the same as the alburgues...not only are you exposed to dirt, urine, sweat, etc on the floors as you walk, you are also transferring that in some fashion onto the bunks. There is a time and a place for walking barefoot...I'm barefoot in my home year round, but the alburgue is not the place, sorry.

First of all, I would never wear goretex shoes on the Camino.
What holds water OUT will hold moisture IN.
Your feet need to breathe.
You are walking such a short distance, just wear some comfie trail runners.
No extra shoes necessary, in my opinion, except maybe some sandals or crocks for evenings.

My advice to you is if you are not overly fit stop in Orisson but be sure to book this early. You don't have to try to make Roncesvalles on your first day. It doesn't have to be an ordeal. I walked the whole Frances in hiking boots and brought a pair flip flops for off trail/end of day use.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I just can't bring myself not to start from the start
In that case, start at the start - your home - and then get on the plane, train and/or bus to O Cebreiro. I don't think adding that disjointed piece will be as satisfying as making a longer continuous journey to Santiago.

In that case, start at the start - your home - and then get on the plane, train and/or bus to O Cebreiro. I don't think adding that disjointed piece will be as satisfying as making a longer continuous journey to Santiago.
Absolutely agree! There is no official "start" to the Camino Francés, other than your front door. Spaniards consider Roncesvalles to be the start. The "halfway" point in Sahagún is halfway between Roncesvalles and Santiago, not between SJPDP and Santiago.
You can return and walk from St Jean another time.

It was certainly not by design, but I ended up carrying a second pair of trail runners almost the entire way. After the first days of walking, my feet were so swollen I had to buy a second pair in Pamplona. They were a full size bigger than the ones I usually wear. The swelling did not come down totally until a few days into the meseta. By that time, my body was so used to carrying the extra weight that I decided to keep them just in case. Will I bring an extra pair next time I walk? Definitely not. But I would make sure my pack has enough space to accommodate an extra pair if something like this happen again.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Trust me, in years of communal living in the military and jobs I have been exposed to the not so nice habits and such of shared toilet facilities and showers and have learned when and where to be barefoot. It is just nice to be sometimes on warm weather Camino walks.

Only if you plan to walk the Pacific Crest Trail after you get to Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back