• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Speak English Well as a courtesy to others

Lydia Gillen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007/8/9, 2011 , 2012/13/14. C.F 2015
Camino Portugues 2017,2018,2019
volunteering
Oftentimes on the Camino when there are people of several nationalities present English is used as the common language, which is of great advantage to those of us for whom English is our mother tongue.

Out of courtesy for those for whom English is not their mother tongue we should make an effort to speak clearly and a little more slowly than usual. We should also be careful to use plain English rather than colloquialisms or slang. This would require little effort on our part, but could mean a lot to others present.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Absolutely! When I met my now husband, a Liverpudlian, I thought he had children because he made phone calls to 'our kid', which was his brother. I also waited for an hour when he said we would meet at 'half three', which in most European languages will mean two thirty - when what he meant was half past three. I have always said that the best form of universal language is broken English with a willing ear to match! Speak simply, clearly and be willing to understand.

I am laughing at your message @nidarosa . I am from Liverpool, though I don't live there now. Your husband's English sounds impeccable ;) I have just finished watching 'Occupied' on Sky and wish I had some Norwegian..... I see you are off on Ingles soon? I am leaving Oviedo on 30th April. I wish you Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oftentimes on the Camino when there are people of several nationalities present English is used as the common language, which is of great advantage to those of us for whom English is our mother tongue.

Out of courtesy for those for whom English is not their mother tongue we should make an effort to speak clearly and a little more slowly than usual. We should also be careful to use plain English rather than colloquialisms or slang. This would require little effort on our part, but could mean a lot to others present.

I completely agree. This is something I learned to do when I worked for a large multi-national company. The language of business was of course English and I was at an advantage compared to my non English speaking European colleagues. I did notice very soon after joining that company that many non English speakers had to put in a lot of effort to communicate in English and the least I could do was to listen patiently and to respond clearly and just a little bit more slowly than usual. I also learned that for public speaking clearly and a little bit more slowly than normal does the trick. So yeah we English speakers are lucky in so many ways and I think it is very helpful and respectful towards others to extend to them the courtesy to listen carefully and respond clearly.

Sometimes we Irish people can unwittingly confuse others for whom English is also their mother-tongue by the use of Hiberno-English sentence constructions. A prime example is the grammatical after-perfect or immediate perfective. For instance: "I am just after coming from Pamplona". Every Irish person will know what is meant but the use of "after" will sound odd, if not confusing, to other English speakers. Better to say: "I have just come from Pamplona". There is nothing incorrect in the Hiberno-English use of "after" - it is just not part of the standard English spoken in the UK, the USA, Canada and other English speaking countries. It derives from the Irish language which was once widely spoken in Ireland but no longer is. Irish grammar norms found their way into the way English was spoken in Ireland and they have survived to this day.

Incidentally, when on the Camino my standard greeting is "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon" rather than "Hola!". This is not to disrespect the language of the country through which I am walking or the majority of pilgrims who are Spanish - it is simply to advertise the fact that I am an English speaker and it can result in conversations with other walkers that might not otherwise happen.

I worked overseas for several years with people from other English speaking countries. Aussies, Kiwis, Brits, Scots and Irish. I rather enjoyed hearing the various accents and slang words and expressions. It was cool, and they got a kick out of the American co-workers accents and slang, especially the ones from the southern US.

Excellent advice, Lydia!

It's something to keep in the back of the mind also when speaking to people from elsewhere who do have English as their mother tongue. I've travelled a bit and generally have no trouble, and, like Mark, take a delight in the various "isms". But a month or so back I watched a bit of the film "Coalminer's Daughter", the story of Loretta Lynn. For the first three quarters of an hour I couldn't understand a single word!

Some Australian friends travelling by ship to UK in around 1949 stopped off in Durban, South Africa. A shop attendant, after dealing with their purchases, asked where they were from and remarked "You speak remarkably good English for foreigners!"

I didn't have any trouble on my Camino. Very few pilgrims and very few spoke English, so they had to tolerate my execrable attempts at Spanish, which, particularly the locals, they did with kindness and good humour (especially the ones I was buying something from!).

And let's not forget, there is only one person in the whole world who speaks English without an accent. The lady who owns the language (it's the Queen's English!).

De Colores!

Bogong

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I completely agree. This is something I learned to do when I worked for a large multi-national company. The language of business was of course English and I was at an advantage compared to my non English speaking European colleagues. I did notice very soon after joining that company that many non English speakers had to put in a lot of effort to communicate in English and the least I could do was to listen patiently and to respond clearly and just a little bit more slowly than usual. I also learned that for public speaking clearly and a little bit more slowly than normal does the trick. So yeah we English speakers are lucky in so many ways and I think it is very helpful and respectful towards others to extend to them the courtesy to listen carefully and respond clearly.
and to add to these good thoughts regarding public speaking, having spoken to numerous organizations and groups throughout my past career(s) - do ask if people can hear you. If they respond "We can't hear you" then crank it up. I tutor English with children of an international Canadian charity I support. I can tell you, it can be a humbling experience, given some of the questions that are asked of me. They definitely keep me on my toes. I'm a strong believer in learning at least some basics of the language of the country where you are a 'guest'.

Excellent advice, Lydia!

It's something to keep in the back of the mind also when speaking to people from elsewhere who do have English as their mother tongue. I've travelled a bit and generally have no trouble, and, like Mark, take a delight in the various "isms". But a month or so back I watched a bit of the film "Coalminer's Daughter", the story of Loretta Lynn. For the first three quarters of an hour I couldn't understand a single word!

Some Australian friends travelling by ship to UK in around 1949 stopped off in Durban, South Africa. A shop attendant, after dealing with their purchases, asked where they were from and remarked "You speak remarkably good English for foreigners!"

I didn't have any trouble on my Camino. Very few pilgrims and very few spoke English, so they had to tolerate my execrable attempts at Spanish, which, particularly the locals, they did with kindness and good humour (especially the ones I was buying something from!).

And let's not forget, there is only one person in the whole world who speaks English without an accent. The lady who owns the language (it's the Queen's English!).

De Colores!

Bogong
Howdy how ya all do in.

A few things.
1. Us Northern Yankees had a hard time understanding what was being said too.
2. Too funny.
3. Too true.
4. Sounds like a accent to us colonials.

Happy Trails

Sometimes we Irish people can unwittingly confuse others for whom English is also their mother-tongue by the use of Hiberno-English sentence constructions. A prime example is the grammatical after-perfect or immediate perfective. For instance: "I am just after coming from Pamplona". Every Irish person will know what is meant but the use of "after" will sound odd, if not confusing, to other English speakers. Better to say: "I have just come from Pamplona". There is nothing incorrect in the Hiberno-English use of "after" - it is just not part of the standard English spoken in the UK, the USA, Canada and other English speaking countries. It derives from the Irish language which was once widely spoken in Ireland but no longer is. Irish grammar norms found their way into the way English was spoken in Ireland and they have survived to this day.

Incidentally, when on the Camino my standard greeting is "Good Morning" or "Good Afternoon" rather than "Hola!". This is not to disrespect the language of the country through which I am walking or the majority of pilgrims who are Spanish - it is simply to advertise the fact that I am an English speaker and it can result in conversations with other walkers that might not otherwise happen.

The use of "after" as in: "I'm just after telling you" is quite common in the Eastern Maritime Provinces of Canada...particularily Newfoundland

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I also worked for a multinational company for a few years. With that being said, I will act as an interpreter between my Southeast Texas wife and others.

Years ago I read a very interesting book, The Story of English, by Robert MacNeil, which deals with the evolution of English in different parts of the world. No doubt I am biased, but I found the most interesting chapter was the one on English in the West Indies.

The use of "after" as in: "I'm just after telling you" is quite common in the Eastern Maritime Provinces of Canada...particularily Newfoundland

That would be due to the significant Irish emigration to those parts of Canada. The Irish language was widely spoken in Newfoundland up to the end of the 19th century and clearly, as in Ireland, many Irish language grammatical constructs have found their way in the English spoken there today.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language_in_Newfoundland

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Excellent, Lydia!
In a nutshell : on the Camino, speak Globish rather than English :)

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Spanish people, when we ask them questions in Spanish on the Camino, reply using the same policy? :)
To speak slowly, more clearly, not using slang or colloquialisms? Ha.Ha.Ha.
Has anyone seen a Spaniard speaking slowly?
"Mas despacio, por favor. Una vez mas, pero mas despacio..."

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have long since realised I have two English voices. The one I use at home and my "English Teacher" one. I generally speak relatively slowly on first encountering someone and then slowly increase complexity and speed after they have become accustomed to my voice. I use their replies as feedback along the way (pun intended).

My daughter lives across the river from Montreal in Saint Lambert, Quebec, an English/French town, and she suggested that when I am shopping there I should greet the clerk in English--Hello or Good morning! etc.--so that they knew right away to speak English, as it saves them time and energy and it is less confusing. I have been doing the same on the Camino when I greet other pilgrims, just in case they also speak English and just happen to want or need to converse in English.

I can only smile after reading this, as I felt very lucky to have gotten by with my little Spanish. I thank all who have taken the time to learn additional languages.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
That would be due to the significant Irish emigration to those parts of Canada. The Irish language was widely spoken in Newfoundland up to the end of the 19th century and clearly, as in Ireland, many Irish language grammatical constructs have found their way in the English spoken there today.

John...A few years ago I assisted a theatrical company from Dublin as they produced a play in my home town. When speaking with the manager she related the following about a stop in Newfoundland. When speaking with someone in St John's NL, she asked: "how long since you left Ireland?". The reply was: " I've never been out of Newfoundland". She was incredulous! There was a large Irish settlement in Ontario but the accent has morphed into something else. I guess the island affect for Newfoundland helped preserve some elements of the accent

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
When I remember to do it, I try to say "hola-hello" to respect both the host language + to give a clue as to my native tongue.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In my 40 years global travel experience, I found, generally, that when non-English speaking people learn English in school or from a tutor it is usually the "Queen's English" as used on the BBC, etc.

Those speaking American-style English (such as it is) usually picked it up while attending university in the States, while working for an American company, or from watching a lot of US TV and internet programming. Schools generally teach "the Queen's English" or BBC news presented English as mentioned.

Because of this, the range of contractions, colloquialisms, slang and alternative words do not exist in many people's vocabularies. Even in Western Europe where I have many friends, and lived for a few years, I find that the only people who understand American slang or colloquialisms are (generally) those who watch American TV programs. If they live in a country that uses subtitles in the local vernacular to assist in translating OV (Original Version) programming, their uptake rate for colloquialisms and slang is relatively higher.

You will experience this in Portugal where they subtitle English language programming in the evenings. However, in Spain, France, and Italy, the opposite is true. I rather suspect there is a huge pool of dubbing actors in these countries who would be unemployed if subtitles were ever introduced... One does wonder...;)

In any event, I always try to speak English, as we "colonials" are wont to, without contractions, colloquialisms or slang. Most "foreigners" seem to appreciate that. Whenever the situation calls for a colloquialism, I always introduce it by stating that, "we have a saying, that..." You would be surprised at how many of our folksy sayings are replicated around the world, across cultures and languages. Many originated overseas and came to the States with immigrants.

Every day is a learning process.

I hope this helps.

Years ago I read a very interesting book, The Story of English, by Robert MacNeil, which deals with the evolution of English in different parts of the world. No doubt I am biased, but I found the most interesting chapter was the one on English in the West Indies.
Robert MacNeil was a favourite of mine. If I recall, this was also a PBS television series.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have travelled in Italy alone and my Italian wasn't that bad. But, in tourist areas, people would speak English to me before I even opened my mouth. I asked a few people how they could tell I was American. Answers 1) coloring (I don't like this one, there are blond Italians), 2) shoes (yes, I wear comfort shoes), 3) clothes (Americans where looser fitted things. This is true) and 4) the way I carry myself (have a feeling this is a big part of it. In none tourist areas nobody spoke English. My Spanish is so-so but I am going to use it.

I'm saying nothing I'm Glaswegian !
My step mother (she's from Edinburgh) suggested I visited a pub called the Babbity Bowster whilst visiting Glasgow. I got off the train in Glasgow and had to ask for directions. The only person that knew where it was happened to be a drunk, toothless Glaswegian. Listening to his directions was a challenge to anyone regardless of their native tongue. He made Russ "see you Jimmy" Abbot sound posh!
http://babbitybowster.com/
His directions got me there and I can sincerely recommend it. Look it up on Tripadvisor.

I've traveled a bit in Canada and am used to seeing bilingual signage in English and French, but when visiting the Maritime Provinces I was surprised to see signage in parts of Nova Scotia posted in English and Gaelic. Then it dawned on me...what does "Nova Scotia" mean? :rolleyes:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
... that being said, I will act as an interpreter between my Southeast Texas wife and others.
While I've lived in Colorado for many years, I grew up in Texas and still speak that language fluently. In fact, I spent an hour or so one afternoon in Atapuerca teaching a delightful English lady to speak Texan -- things like "Sqweet" (let's go eat), "Ah reckon" (I suppose), "Ah'm fixin' to" (I'm getting ready to), plus the intricacies of adding mandatory extra syllables to one-syllable words and the subtle differences between "y'all" and "you all."

As a native Spanish speaker, I would say that I enjoy colloquialisms and slang pretty much. When I don't understand, I ask, and usually this results in a good talk about nationalities and cultures over a café con leche.
On the other side, the Spanish you can hear in the Camino is also quite diverse. Not only from pilgrims from many countries, but also from local people, because there are accents and words that come from other Iberian languages, as Basque, Asturian or Galician.

When I went to engineering school, we had a lot of international students and a lot of professors whose native language wasn't English in our college. The native English-speakers among us spent a lot of time translating English to English. Everybody was speaking English in class, but this person couldn't understand that person's accent, so those of us in the middle would "translate" - just restating what people said in a neutral accent. ;) And it continues into the work world. I settled an argument in a meeting today by pointing out that the two combatants were in total agreement, they just didn't understand each other.

It seems to me that while I was in Galicia last summer, saying "Hola" was a sure sign to the locals that I was a tourist. Seems they all greet eachother with "Buenos dias", etc or even just "Bueno" rather than simply "Hola". Anyone else have that experience?

As a native Spanish speaker, I would say that I enjoy colloquialisms and slang pretty much. When I don't understand, I ask, and usually this results in a good talk about nationalities and cultures over a café con leche.
On the other side, the Spanish you can hear in the Camino is also quite diverse. Not only from pilgrims from many countries, but also from local people, because there are accents and words that come from other Iberian languages, as Basque, Asturian or Galician.

So very true. I remember my 2014 language experience on Invierno in Pobla de Brollon. I phoned ahead to reserve a room and was also asked where I'm coming from. So I told the men on the other side that I'm from Slovenia. When I came to the pension the owner and his wife were relaxed that I finally arrived (1 hour later than announced) and I ordered cold beer and went outside. But before getting to the exit I thought I've heard "What a lovely girl" spoken in Serbian/Croatian. Turned out that the owner was Portuguese, fled to France (from army-draft for Angola war) under Salazar and worked in France in iron mills mostly with guys from former Yugoslavia (Slovenia was part of it so I know the different languages spoken then and now). We've had lots of laughing on that "pretty girl" account and later in the evening we were sitting in his garden talking for three hours about economical/political/historical issues in Europe. In mix of Spanish, some ex-Yugoslavian languages (not the correct term!!!), English, mimic, Portuguese and French.

That is surely one of my fondest memories from my Caminos.

It seems to me that while I was in Galicia last summer, saying "Hola" was a sure sign to the locals that I was a tourist. Seems they all greet eachother with "Buenos dias", etc or even just "Bueno" rather than simply "Hola". Anyone else have that experience?

I learned early on to say Buenos dias, Buenos tardes, etc. I always felt that 'Hola' was exchanged more between the locals and was a bit too 'familiar'. It's not too difficult to spot pilgrims as tourists, before they even speak.

Well, not exactly that, but similar. In France the standard polite form when you encounter another person (and in provinces, even complete strangers in the streets, or when boarding a bus) is "Bonjour". But in the French Pyrenées before Oloron (that is in the Piedmont Way) I discovered it is saying "Monsieur" or "Madame/mademoiselle", while tilting the head slightly downward.
It is these kind of experiences that are possible only when you walk by a country, preferably alone or with a few other persons.

IMG_1972.jpg
I'm saying nothing I'm Glaswegian !
oh brother - that really tops it.:)

(had september last year my first glasgow experience. only understood every 8th or 10th word - but always somehow managed to converse and to get onto the right trains, right address, etc
mega friendly - either that or they are had kind pity with me and my probably deeply perplexed looks while i wondered: "what the hell is he asking me about?" but something was so 'endearing' about the entire glasgow experience, i'll be back in september 'for seconds' - glasgow, helensburg, etc. - and i am bringing my camino walking shoes with me for hiking...
the best remedy in language hic-ups: smiles and laughter.
thus far, glasgow has posed, to me, the biggest challenge ever. until visiting there, i had actually believed that i'd be able to understand english. nonetheless, something captured me about "la Scozia" (that's the italian name for scotland) - and i shall be back, God willing.

Last edited:
Well, not exactly that, but similar. In France the standard polite form when you encounter another person (and in provinces, even complete strangers in the streets, or when boarding a bus) is "Bonjour". But in the French Pyrenées before Oloron (that is in the Piedmont Way) I discovered it is saying "Monsieur" or "Madame/mademoiselle", while tilting the head slightly downward.
It is these kind of experiences that are possible only when you walk by a country, preferably alone or with a few other persons.
I think we shouldn't overthink some of these issues in traveling to countries where we are not native speakers and are traveling. To the extent one can, I think it is courteous to use the language of the country we are visiting even if we are not sure of the most polite form -- nobody will expect it of a foreigner really. Just do your best. And Felipe, the reason I quoted your post was to say to you I love Mexico.

View attachment 25019
oh brother - that really tops it.:)

(had september last year my first glasgow experience. only understood every 8th or 10th word - but always somehow managed to converse and to get onto the right trains, right address, etc
mega friendly - either that or they are had kind pity with me and my probably deeply perplexed looks while i wondered: "what the hell is he asking me about?" but something was so 'endearing' about the entire glasgow experience, i'll be back in september 'for seconds' - glasgow, helensburg, etc. - and i am bringing my camino walking shoes with me for hiking...
the best remedy in language hic-ups: smiles and laughter.
thus far, glasgow has posed, to me, the biggest challenge ever. until visiting there, i had actually believed that i'd be able to understand english. nonetheless, something captured me about "la Scozia" (that's the italian name for scotland) - and i shall be back, God willing.
You gotta love the Scots…..those from what was my Dad's home in Dundee, are hard pressed to understand those from what was my Mum's home in Aberdeen.

This reminded me of the very funny YouTube video about a voice recognition elevator in Scotland. It's a little inappropriate so I won't share the link - but it's very easy to find ;)
"scots elivator skit burnistoun" in any search engine will find it. As NualaOC says it is very funny but NSFW (not suitable for work) unless you've a very broadminded workforce and you're the boss!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A long time ago, I took up a post at a rehabilitation centre in Dundee on the east coast of Scotland. My colleague gave me me a potted summary of my new caseload and pointed out that I might have difficulty understanding one young client due to him having a marked speech impediment. She was wrong! Of them all, he was by far the easiest to understand due to the fact he originally came from England, whereas all the others spoke with impenetrable Scottish dialects and accents.

@Icacos good one, but this one is even better:
"One day I go to Toronto and stay in a bigga hotel.

I go down to eat soma breakfast. I tella the waitress I wanna two pissa toast. She bring me only one piss.

I tella her I wanna two piss; she say, go to toilet - I say, you no understand, I wanna two piss on my plate. She say you betta no piss on plate, you sonna ma b*tch! I don't even know lady, she calla me somma ma b*tch.

Then I go to pharmacia with a cougha. The man he give me candy ana tell me fa cough! - I don't even know man ana he tella me FA COUGH!

Later I got to eat soma lunch at Ricky's Place, the waitress she bring me spoon, a knife but no fock. I tella her I wanna fock - She tell me everybody wanna fock. I tella her, you no understand, I wanna fock on table. She say you betta not fock on table you sonna ma b*tch - I not even know lady ana she call me sonna ma b*tch.

So, I go back to my hotel room, an there's no sheet on my bed. I calla the manager and tella him I wanna sheet, he tell me go to toilet. So, I say, you no understand, I wanna sheet on bed. He say you betta not sheet on bed you sonna ma b*tch. I don't even know man ana he call me sonna ma b*tch!

I go to check out of hotel and man at desk say peace to you. I say peace on you too!, you sonna ma b*tch! - I GO BACK TO ITALY!!!"

:D

PS (Or:
)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My poor French friend had a lot of trouble with my Kiwi-Australian accent particularly with the speed of it. He told me it was much easier to understand a South African accent. I am used to Swiss French and can understand a Belgian French at a pinch. His Occitane French was a challenge. I hate to think what the Spaniards though of my Spanish accent. Duolingo is Latin Spanish, I started in Sevilla so that was my 'home' accent with all the lovely "th"ing. Then I started walking with a Canary and picked up bits of his funny accent. And he happily admitted that his English was Pakistani Cockney. Having watched too many episodes of The Bill, I had to agree.
From my limited experience of Canadians, the Newfie accent fits well with some of the Southern NZ accent - which is very Scottish - and of the various US accents, my MN friend is the one with the least accent. But I'm the only person that thinks so.

Yes in Galicia "Hola" is not usually used by locals. They say buenos días/ bos días , etc.
In Madrid is much more common Hola especially with neighbours and coworkers.
In trekking "Hola" is the most used.

I would completely understand what you meant by saying 'I am just after coming from Pamplona,' John. Hanging around Newfoundlanders for a great deal of my life, and their delightful English, I have heard from them this exact same thing. Newfoundland English dialects are similar to West Country in England and Ireland's southeast...
As one of the oldest places of English settlement in N. America and because as an island that was (is) somewhat difficult to get to, Newfoundland English is a virtual language time capsule--it's been dated back to the 1700s (where many words and dialects remain similar to that time)!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
At work I have a lot to do with EU officials, and I have finally figured out what "EU English" is. It's a French dialect that uses a lot of English words!

Speak English well...! That pretty much leaves out the Americans (all), the Australians, the Irish, etc. I'm thinkin I'll just pop a cork and speak the universal lingo...

e.g. 'colloquialisms' :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I was in Managua, I understood my non-English-speaking Nicaraguan housekeeper better than I could understand some rural farmers in North Carolina (I'm a Pennsylvanian, three states away). When I was visiting my aunt in NC, her farmer neighbor spotted me and asked if I wanted to take home some "arsh tayers." Arsh tayers? What the heck are those?

We backed and forthed several times without getting anywhere until my aunt came out and translated. "Arsh tayers" in rural NC means "Irish potatoes," which didn't get me much further along until my aunt told me that in the US South, Irish potatoes means "white potatoes."

It took a while, but it's worth learning the basics of other languages. ;)

BTW, those arsh tayers were mighty tasty.

This topic reminds me of a hard lesson I learned from a rude French man. He had a right to be miffed, I seemed arrogant, even though it was out of ignorance instead. :)

Not being a world traveler at all until I hit the Camino, I had to teach myself the common courtesy of asking others if they spoke English before starting a conversation.

Now I will remember to do the asking slowly! ;)

Yes in Galicia "Hola" is not usually used by locals. They say buenos días/ bos días , etc.
In Madrid is much more common Hola especially with neighbours and coworkers.
In trekking "Hola" is the most used.

Often in Spain people will say "Buenas", which can b used any time of the day to mean good morning, good afternoon or good evening. Makes it a bit easier to remember and you don't have to check the time of day.

That's what is used in Costa Rica - just "Buenas".

Speak English well...! That pretty much leaves out the Americans (all), the Australians, the Irish, etc. I'm thinkin I'll just pop a cork and speak the universal lingo...
The Irish speak Hiberno English which is one of the pure forms of English, like the Queens English no less :) so don't be including us with you lot. :):)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
and, sadly, many of my fellow countrymen (and women)
I have been wondering since this thread started what 'plain English' might be, given the enormous range of differences between and even within the various national versions of the language.

On the subject of the English language nobody can top (the Canadian) James Nicholl who wrote:

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
And as for the Queen's English - an Irish friend has been known to say "Is that a fact? And I thought the family emigrated from Germany!" - it's usually known as Received Pronunciation nowadays and goodness me how Her standards have slipped! Compared with her accent in the 1950 it's now almost "common", probably influenced by all those foreigners she meets :)

The Irish speak Hiberno English which is one of the pure forms of English, like the Queens English no less :) so don't be including us with you lot. :):)

Are ya saying then, that you will not share an uncorked bottle...THAT would be a first for an Irishman! :)

Funny sidenote, in doing some family history, my wife discovered one of her relatives owned a Pub (Mcraith's east of Limerick) that is 150 years old. The building is still there-on google earth! So, cork popping is in the DNA.

Last edited:

€46,-
Speak how you want to speak. I wouldn't be so rude as to suggest people do otherwise.

I used to work for a French company, and sat through many meetings with American partners. All my notes from presentations were of phrases I was sure they would not understand. I mean who outside of Texas refers to drilling a well as "turning to the right" and problems as " goin south?

I've heard that expression up here in Canada........and look where we are situated, geographically! :rolleyes::rolleyes: :D
Yeah, though when I lived in BC I always thought Alberta ought to secede and join Texas. Maybe arrange a swap for Oregon and Washington!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back