• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Speaka de lingo?

andywild

Time of past OR future Camino
CF april 18.. CP sep 18.. CF april 2020
So, in preparation for my upcoming Camino ..(have I mentioned that I plan to walk the portugese.. from Porto September 18th?).. I've decided to learn portugese.. admittedly I may have left it a bit late.. I tried making a list of all the important phrases that I may need but so far I can only think of one ..

quantas milhas para o rei mais próximo de hambúrguer?

Apart from "how many miles to the nearest burger king?" Can anyone think of any other phrases that may come in handy?

As always I thank you for your invaluable input
Love and hugs
Andy.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wish I could help. All I can say is that the scant Spanish I picked up just meant that I alienated the Portuguese as I tried to "spanish" their words. Best stick to looking like an idiot in your mother tongue in my experience, simplifies things significantly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Love this site, run by Carla, who is from Alentejo (i.e. it's not Brazilian Portuguese, which seems to be the case wit most free online material!): https://portuguesewithcarla.com/100-common-expressions/

Carla (and her husband Marlon) also have a weekly podcast, if you want to listen to a more extensive conversation between native speakers to pick up on the rhythm and intonation - think it's over 50 episodes now, so lots of material to work with or just listen to in the background. Their website's a little difficult to navigate so I'll post the link for the podcast here: https://portuguesewithcarla.com/podcast2/ (podcast 1 is mainly introduction so sending you straight to podcast 2. They'll get more complicated as you go on...)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Obrigado - thank you
Por favor - please
Fala ingles? - Do you speak English
Desculpe - Excuse me
Desculpe, nao falo Portuguese. - sorry, I don’t speak Portuguese.

I’m walking it right know and actually have a lot of success with iTranslate Pro on my IPhone. Had a long conversation with a desk clerk who spoke no English but had a similar app. It was funny. Both of us typing and then showing the phone to the other. Worked quite well however.

The phrase I probably use the most is "um meia de leite por favor"

Bom caminho!

Mine would be "Who has the best pastel de nata in town"?
Or even Pasteis de Nata as I am sure you want them to have more than one ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I spent two weeks in Portugal touring by car last year. Quite a few of the locals do speak English. The only word I learned, but used many times each day, was "obrigado"...which means "thankyou". :)

The Portuguese can be very formal in their speech. I think this might help you:

Com licença, eu sou apenas um estrangeiro ignorante vagando pelo seu lindo país. Você poderia, por favor, dirigir-me ao estabelecimento mais próximo, onde eles servem comida gordurosa?

The Spanish equivalent would be something like:

Disculpe, no soy más que un extranjero ignorante vagando por su hermoso país. ¿Podría dirigirme al establecimiento más cercano donde sirven comida grasosa?

It's a tad verbose so you might want to write it down. Better still install Google Translate on your phone along with the off-line Portuguese and Spanish dictionaries ;);)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So, in preparation for my upcoming Camino ..(have I mentioned that I plan to walk the portugese.. from Porto September 18th?).. I've decided to learn portugese.. admittedly I may have left it a bit late.. I tried making a list of all the important phrases that I may need but so far I can only think of one ..

Apart from "how many miles to the nearest burger king?" Can anyone think of any other phrases that may come in handy?

Love and hugs
Andy.

Hi Andy,

First off, I believe going through a short collection of youtube videos, for learning Spanish, will give you a good list of phrases that are necessary on the Caminho. Now, having said that, Portuguese and Spanish are very similar languages. So, if you spend your time on learning Spanish, I doubt that it will be wasted. Here is a link to the first one;

What I did, was copy all the phrases from Youtube into a small notebook so I had them with me. Beyond that, I did study Spanish for a few months on DuoLingo (Smartphone app), and found it very helpful, especially building confidence in using a new language.

Believe me, even making an attempt at conversing in the native language, apologizing for not being fluent, will get you a very long way. They will then understand the respect that you are trying to give them, and that is the secret. That is true communication.

Buon Caminho

Obrigado!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Love and hugs
Andy.

Forget Burger King... how do you say, "Where is the nearest 5 Guys hamburger joint?"

I walked the Camino Portugues last Sept/Oct. I would say I am a lower intermediate Spanish speaker. There are more people in Portugal that speak English than in Spain. Have a translator of course. But I will tell you the people in Portugal are UNBELIEVABLY wonderful. They are caring, generous and kind. I walked with a friend of mine who can’t even say more than a few words of Spanish. Often we walked separately. He said he never had a problem. Even when no one spoke English he was always well cared for. Once I was so in another world I walked about 5k in the wrong direction. I had also walked down a very long and very steep hill.
It was starting to rain. I was looking at my Brierly trying to figure out where I was. A taxi driver stopped and before I knew it he flagged down 2 more cars. They figured it would be about am10k drive to get me back on the Camino by driving.
I said I could walk. The taxi driver told me in Spanish he would not go to work if I didn’t get in the car and let him drive me. He also then said in very poor English that I’d i tried to give him money it would dishonor him. What else could I do???? The Portuguese are THE BEST!!!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Love and hugs
Andy.

I tried learning some phrases prior to setting off on my Camino but somewhat shamefully ended up getting through it with just "Do you speak SEnglish" and/or "I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish" :-(

I did the Portuguese in May and had no problems language wise, my Spanish is OK and helped. The Portuguese people are wonderful and very helpful. I have also done the Frances and must say I found the time spent in Portugal more to my liking

Never saw a Burger King in all our travels in Portugal, never had any problems with language despite my Portuguse being limited to please and thank you.

Have learnt not to let loose my appalling Spamish on the Portuguse, or the French for that matter. Scott was a master in international mime, I have found a little effort in local lingo always appreciated but most people speak English better then I speak their native tongue.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A few things:

The Portuguese word for thank you is cognate with the English 'obligated', as in, 'I am obligated (to you)', and because adjectives agree in gender in Portuguese, men say obrigado and women say obrigada (with the stress on the second last syllable, as usual in multi-syllable words in Portuguese unless otherwise indicated with accents).

To say please in Portugal, se faz favor is more common than por favor.

In Portugal, você (cited above) is not used in the singular, unlike in Brazil. Instead, tu is the informal and o senhor / a senhora is the formal. You can also use the person's name in the third person to be semi-formal.

Portuguese people are friendly but in general they don't like it when you speak Spanish to them. Not only are they separate languages, but there is a whole other language (Galician Spanish) 'between' them. As far as comprehension goes, Portuguese speakers understand Spanish speakers better than Spanish speakers understand Portuguese speakers (true in both Europe and South America).

See this comment from the Practice Portuguese podcast on Facebook to get an idea of how the Portuguese feel about having Spanish spoken to them:

Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 16.39.47.png

Boa sorte!

Last edited:
Love this site, run by Carla, who is from Alentejo (i.e. it's not Brazilian Portuguese, which seems to be the case wit most free online material!): https://portuguesewithcarla.com/100-common-expressions/

Carla (and her husband Marlon) also have a weekly podcast, if you want to listen to a more extensive conversation between native speakers to pick up on the rhythm and intonation - think it's over 50 episodes now, so lots of material to work with or just listen to in the background. Their website's a little difficult to navigate so I'll post the link for the podcast here: https://portuguesewithcarla.com/podcast2/ (podcast 1 is mainly introduction so sending you straight to podcast 2. They'll get more complicated as you go on...)

This is really helpful, Carla. The pronunciation is so tricky for English speakers, and as you mention, Brazilian Portuguese is sometimes quite different. The Portuguese are amazingly kind whenever estrangeiros attempt to speak their language, so I encourage pilgrims to listen to your podcast and then try.

I walked the Camino Portugues last Sept/Oct. I would say I am a lower intermediate Spanish speaker. There are more people in Portugal that speak English than in Spain. Have a translator of course. But I will tell you the people in Portugal are UNBELIEVABLY wonderful. They are caring, generous and kind. I walked with a friend of mine who can’t even say more than a few words of Spanish. Often we walked separately. He said he never had a problem. Even when no one spoke English he was always well cared for. Once I was so in another world I walked about 5k in the wrong direction. I had also walked down a very long and very steep hill.
It was starting to rain. I was looking at my Brierly trying to figure out where I was. A taxi driver stopped and before I knew it he flagged down 2 more cars. They figured it would be about am10k drive to get me back on the Camino by driving.
I said I could walk. The taxi driver told me in Spanish he would not go to work if I didn’t get in the car and let him drive me. He also then said in very poor English that I’d i tried to give him money it would dishonor him. What else could I do???? The Portuguese are THE BEST!!!!
After walking the Norte, I headed to Portugal ....both Porto and Lisbon....I found that most Portuguese people speak English very well..and yes, I agree, more speak English in Portugal than in Spain....however, I’m all for encouraging travelers to learn the native language....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back