• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Speaking French on the Camino Portuguese?

JP

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2014 & 2017
Camino Portuguese 2016
Camino Del Norte 2019.
About 20 years ago my sister visited Portugal as a tourist and at that time she has no trouble finding Portuguese people who spoke French since it was taught in most schools. I wonder if it is still true or has English taking over.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, JP,
OMG, has English taken over! In Portugal, there was no money to dub the "foreign tv",or the foreign films,which were mostly American sitcoms, Hollywood movies, etc., so this generation of Portuguese has grown up hearing American English all around them.

The difference between Spain and Portugal in terms of English language ability is astonishing. Portuguese people do not expect anyone to speak Portuguese and are happy to use their English (this is a generalization of course, your mileage may vary).

About 20 years ago my sister visited Portugal as a tourist and at that time she has no trouble finding Portuguese people who spoke French since it was taught in most schools. I wonder if it is still true or has English taking over.
French is still taught in schools, but mostly as third language (only 3 years).
My mother spoke fluent French because for her generation French was the main foreign language to learn (influenced by French culture and the portuguese immigrants in Francophone countries)
Now, English as taken over, but there is still some people that speak or, at least, understand French.

Hi, JP,
OMG, has English taken over! In Portugal, there was no money to dub the "foreign tv",or the foreign films,which were mostly American sitcoms, Hollywood movies, etc., so this generation of Portuguese has grown up hearing American English all around them.

The difference between Spain and Portugal in terms of English language ability is astonishing. Portuguese people do not expect anyone to speak Portuguese and are happy to use their English (this is a generalization of course, your mileage may vary).
I'm 25 and I learned english with... American TV shows! :p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found English to be much more widely spoken than in Spain. In some bars where English was not spoken I used Spanish.

French seems to have fallen out of favour as a second language compared with 40 years ago when I first learned it in school. In France I have found myself translating between French and English for Scandinavians, Dutch, German and others who had good English but no French.

Hi, JP,

We were there in February and blown away by how much english is spoken. If we muttered just a few words to each other at a checkout then the person serving always spoke english... and spoke well and with a smile. We were totally not expecting this! The guy who owned the apartment we rented echoed what you said... that it was TV that has helped and they dont expect folks to speak Portuguese.

My friend also went on to visit Porto and she said that French was more widely spoken there?

We fell in love with Lisbon and Portugal and we can't wait for our next visit.

Last edited:
Don't mean to take this too far off topic, but in addition to spurring English education, there's another unexpected blessing of not having lots of money. Portugal never got rid of its tram cars, unlike many other cities that ripped up the tracks and "went modern." Now transportation engineers and local officials from all over the world are coming to Lisbon to study the tram system. Not to mention the millions of tourists who flock to ride them!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked from Porto last April (2015). My favorite, and usually only needed Portuguese phrase was a question: "Fala Ingles?" (Do you speak English?) They usually picked up the conversation from there. My Berlitz book and all my apps were largely surplus needs to conversational requirements along the coastal route, and were used from then on for menu and sign translation...

BTW, "fala" is pronounced like it reads "fah-la."

There were one or two times the person could not speak English well enough to communicate. But, they ALWAYS had someone available on their mobile phone, or a nearby friend who could, and did jump right in.

Lost on arrival in Lisbon Oriente train station at 22:00, exhausted and jet lagged, having missed air connections and my original reserved train to Porto, I wondered aloud (in English) just what the f*** was I to do now, while staring at the departing train monitor. I knew I needed to make the one, last train from Oriente to Porto in 20 minutes. The station loomed dark and ominous. If you've been to Oriente late at night you will understand. Even for a large fellow like me, it was creepy and not a little scary.

I felt a tug at my elbow and turned around. A pretty young woman, with a teenaged daughter in tow, asked me in perfect, unaccented English if she could help. Doh! I explained my need to make the next, and last, train to Porto, and hat I had to exchange the ticket for the earlier, missed, train. She explained that her daughter was on the same train to Porto and that we could all find the ticket seller window together. I am not overly emotional, but I nearly lost it there.

I thanked her profusely, and told here that she was my Guardian Angel. She laughed and explained that she had family in the States and had attended university there for several years. Man! Was I ever lucky! BTW - her daughter, perhaps 18 or so, also spoke fluent English.

I made my train, and slept most of the three hours to Porto. I called my Porto hotel (IBIS Business) from the train to confirm that I was on my way and that they should hold my room...they did. I finally got to my room about 01:30 the day after I was supposed to arrive.

Just FYI - I usually try to book my first night at a chain hotel where English speaking desk personnel can be assumed, or with direct e-mail. In extremis, I say a brief prayer and use my Belgian SIM'd GSM phone to make a voice call to try to speak to the desk clerk who answers. In four outings it has not failed me yet.

And that, my friends is why, at least when commencing a Camino and coming from afar, one should IMHO:

1. Arm yourself with dictionaries and translation capabilities, if you do not speak at least a little of the language. You can use smart-phone versions (less added weight) or paper versions if you are a smart-phone Luddite, as I was until last year. I had practiced with a CD-based Berlitz course for some weeks before.
2. Allow adequate, no generous, connection time between flights and inter-modal (air to rail) connections. It is better to spend time in a boring airport, inside security, than to miss a connection. One disruption can ripple across your entire schedule and ruin the start of your Camino.
3. Research the layout of the airports, and train stations you will pass through. The plans are available online if you dive deep enough online.
4. Make hotel reservations for your arrival night destination, and update them with your travel status, via voice, text, or e-mail as necessary, so you actually have a place to sleep on arrival. It also helps if the staff at the arrival destination understand English. But online translation software (Google or Bing Translate) has saved me on numerous occasions.
5. Get to know your Guardian Angel! You never know when you might need their help...;)

I hope this helps.

OK got it, if people are my age of 60, good chance they speak French, 40 or younger they will speak English. Bought a Portuguese phrase book and also went online to get a pronounciation tool (Duolingo) and promptly gave up. Spanish sounds a bit like French so I got the basics fairly quick and a few trips to Cuba & Mexico helped. But Portuguse is very strange to my ear and I can't get into it unfortunately. Leaving in three weeks and this Camino unlike my preparation for the Camino Frances is a bit of a last minute thing. Thanks for the help!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
OK got it, if people are my age of 60, good chance they speak French, 40 or younger they will speak English. Bought a Portuguese phrase book and also went online to get a pronounciation tool (Duolingo) and promptly gave up. Spanish sounds a bit like French so I got the basics fairly quick and a few trips to Cuba & Mexico helped. But Portuguse is very strange to my ear and I can't get into it unfortunately. Leaving in three weeks and this Camino unlike my preparation for the Camino Frances is a bit of a last minute thing. Thanks for the help!
For your information. In the twelfth century Spanish and Portuguese were one language. Untill now lots of grammatics are similar. Only the pronounciation is different.
I studied Castillean Spanish as common spoken in Spain, worked for some years in the Catalán part of Spain -Barcelona- and now as for hobby am learning Portuguese since one and a half year. The first year Portugese from Brasil. Now the Portuguese from Portugal .my professora-teacher is from Porto and has the northern Portuguese accent.
Brasilean Portuguese is easier to understand as is the Spanish from latin America.
The spoken Portuguese language is difficult to understand but reading texts with some Spanish knowledge you will see that the two languages are family of each other.
You could talk to Portuguese in Spanish and they will understand you but they answer you in Portuguese .
So better rely on your english.

Last edited:
Spoke to my sister again and friends of hers visited Portugal last year. They got around by speaking French only, so between English and French and our Tourist Spanish I guess we will be OK. Just no time to learn Portuguese pronounciation before we leave.

Spoke to my sister again and friends of hers visited Portugal last year. They got around by speaking French only, so between English and French and our Tourist Spanish I guess we will be OK. Just no time to learn Portuguese pronounciation before we leave.

Enjoy JP ! And the Portuguese , if possible, are even friendlier than the Spaniards :)

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Most Portuguese people don't speak French, or Spanish for that matter. Quite a few of the younger people speak English. US TV shows are in English with Portuguese subtitles. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

No problem speaking french on the Camino. Actually we have used french more often than english to get information in Albergue or even the local bars. We have also met several french peregrinos.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back