• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Speaking French on the Le Puy Route

Roamer35

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, 2009, Camino Finisterre, 2009, Camino Portuguese, 2009, Via de La Plata, 2011. Pending: VdlP April-May 2014
I would like to do the Le Puy to St. Jean next September but am concerned about my inability to speak French and my not much better ability to read it. I get mixed messages from the various sources I read, but my overall impression is it is necessary to at least be able to make a phone call to reserve lodging. I have done a few other camino (4 or 5) and never had to reserve accommodation nor had difficulty finding a place to sleep. I am starting a French class in January and thinking about hiring a personal tutor, but there is a limit as to how much I will be able learn. To top it all off I have some major hearing problems and using a phone is very difficult. Should I go? Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes. Or should I stay consider another route?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Roamer35, and I was under the impression that all Canadians spoke French :rolleyes:! (I met several Canadians on Le Puy route.)

True, it helps to know some French, but I met a lot of French people along the way who spoke some English. Admittedly not all, and usually it was the other walkers, not the hosts.

If it helps, I never booked a bed in advance (I walked in May 2014), and never had a problem; well, OK, there was one night . . .

If you take a cell phone that you can use in France, then you can probably ask somebody (your host, another walker) to phone ahead for you, using your phone, to book a bed for you.

It’s a great adventure, and a challenge, so go for it! Download a good quality dictionary onto your phone, learn the basics as much as you can before you go, and you will be fine.
Bon chemin!
Jill

The more you have, the better, obviously. While I would say, go full speed ahead, there are a few things you can do to help yourself. Try to learn a few basic scripts which you could follow while booking, etc., and have the texts in front of you. When they respond, ask them to repeat their message, and take a note of it as you do so. As well, often your inkeeper or hospitalier will make the call for you. Tourisme staff are usually English-speaking and can make calls for you as well. Canadians are highly thought of in France, and people are likely to be cheerfully helpful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah, yes, the tourism offices in France are brilliant. There is usually someone there who speaks English, and they will phone around for you. They really are excellent. But don’t count on them being open when you get there (because it’s lunch time . . . market day . . . half-day closing . . . Saturday . . . Sunday . . . . a public holiday . . . ) so have Plan B (like a guide book or app) just in case.
Jill

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked the LePuy route in August, and I was the first American that anyone had seen in months (confirmed by looking at log registries). My French is rudimentary but sufficient for ordering food and calling ahead for reservations. Your goal should be to become sufficiently fluent in these areas, though you will likely not reach the point that you can follow dinner conversations. Many French pilgrims are bilingual, but there’s also a pride amongst the French in their language in preferring it to speaking in other languages, so communal conversations were not often in English, or sparingly so. I also found that I had many willing teachers as I added to my French phrases and vocabulary and asked questions in personal conversations.

Reserving ahead was often a necessity because the gîte owner wanted to know how many diners to expect. I often asked fellow French pilgrims to make the reservation phone call, and I also asked gîte owners to call ahead to a gîte at my intended destination.

That said, I REALLY enjoyed my time walking in France, and immersing myself in the pilgrim experience there. I’m planning return trips when time permits, and I’d recommend that you proceed with your plans.

Hi Roamer35, I plan to walk the Le Puy route either in May 2018 or Sept 2018. I have just started working on my French with Duolingo so I hope by next year I would be able to make reservation and order foods! I just completed the Via Francigena in Oct 2017 from Lucca to Rome after learning Italian for couple months - I was barely able to make reservation and order foods but really enjoyed the experience! So go for it! And by the way, I live in Saskatoon too, we should meet and talk sometimes! And as jsalt hinted above, all Canadians speak French, so we should not disappointed them!:D
Bon Chemin!

Someone may have already mentioned this... have you tried to download the google translate app? You can download a offline dictionary in French so you can access it sans internet. Its incredibly versatile in that it can translate signage via photo, audio by speaking into the device and it will repeat the phrase back in french/english, and translates by typing. It also saves what you translate for a quick reference and practice. I don't know how accurate it is but it was my best friend when I traveled around France before I began the CF.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi @Roamer35
Additionally you can also use http://duolingo.com/ (free and fun) to improve your French ;-) Also, the Miam-Miam Do-Do guide for the Le Puy route (highly recommended and available at many starting points) has little language flags with each accommodation option, so you might find some that speak English.

Buen Camino, SY

Of course, speaking the local language is always helpful and makes things easier, but it's not necessary. Don't underestimate the power of body language.

The French are very polite people, though, and they do appreciate foreigners who at least try to communicate in French and know at least some words. Always say "bonjour/bonsoir madame/monsieur", "merci" and "au revoir", (with a smile, to everyone, even strangers you pass, like locals walking their dogs or working in their gardens, and especially to staff/other customers in shops/cafés/bars/restaurants) and you will be fine.

If you're Canadian, being polite won't be a problem, anyway - have a great time in France!

Bon chemin!

You can learn a lot of French during the eight or so months before your possible hike on the Le Puy route next September. You may not have expressive language to comment on subjects like politics, the economy, etc., but you certainly will be able to manage transactions in stores, cafes, and the places you stay. And there are additional benefits...

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/...Search&mabReward=relbias:r,{"2":"RI:18"}&_r=0

Bon chemin!

Tom

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Le Puy route with a Japanese man who spoke no French or English. He made most of his reservations through the tourist offices and other pilgrims helped him and watched out for him.
I think many French people do speak some English but are shy about it - not wanting to make mistakes. You will be a good opportunity for them to practice. :)

It is great you are learning some French! It is a beautiful language-- My French is terrible, but I walked in September and got by with rudimentary sentences, many "Pardon!"s and eye contact and a smile and gestures. The information offices are great, as they'll call for you and explain what you want. They almost always have someone who speaks English. -- Except Gare de Nord. No one at the info office spoke English there-- but they were really patient with me, and we all ended up laughing together at my silly French. That is something I love about the French, they'll speak slowly and are patient enough to give me time so I can puzzle out a few sentences. In Germany, people shift to English and are a bit derisive, when-- honestly, my German is better than their English... Okay, but that's another topic. -- On the Chemin, I also would ask other walkers to call and make a reservation for me. Younger people (high school and college age) generally have better English. -- I would learn some key phrases and then write them on some index cards and stick them in your pocket. Examples: "Excuse me, I need help." "I am hungry" "I need a bed for tonight." "I am lost." "I am a pilgrim." Then if you say the sentence in French, but are not understood, you can hand the person a card.

My son and I were traveling back up to Paris to catch our flight home, and we ended up having to take a local train, and then a bus to Lyon, and then a train to Paris. (The regular fast train was diverted because of work on the tracks.) We got off the local train, and I asked a rail employee where the bus was. She explained in French where to go to get the bus. My son asked me if I had understood her. I told him that I had understood the first three sentences and that we would ask another person when we finished those three directions. The station was undergoing renovations, and all the signage was down. We had 6 minutes to find the bus. -- Then a man approached us and asked if we were pilgrims. I said yes (we had packs, walking sticks, and shells) , and he said to follow him-- He took us through the station, outside, down the street, around the corner and on to the correct bus. He gave us a smile and Bon Chemin, and a wave. -- People are wonderful. :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Roamer35, I plan to walk the Le Puy route either in May 2018 or Sept 2018. I have just started working on my French with Duolingo so I hope by next year I would be able to make reservation and order foods! I just completed the Via Francigena in Oct 2017 from Lucca to Rome after learning Italian for couple months - I was barely able to make reservation and order foods but really enjoyed the experience! So go for it! And by the way, I live in Saskatoon too, we should meet and talk sometimes! And as jsalt hinted above, all Canadians speak French, so we should not disappointed them!:D
Bon Chemin!
Yes, definitely. Let's go for coffee someday soon. You can PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone may have already mentioned this... have you tried to download the google translate app? You can download a offline dictionary in French so you can access it sans internet. Its incredibly versatile in that it can translate signage via photo, audio by speaking into the device and it will repeat the phrase back in french/english, and translates by typing. It also saves what you translate for a quick reference and practice. I don't know how accurate it is but it was my best friend when I traveled around France before I began the CF.
Oui merci. J'ai l'application Google et c'est incroyable.

You can learn a lot of French during the eight or so months before your possible hike on the Le Puy route next September. You may not have expressive language to comment on subjects like politics, the economy, etc., but you certainly will be able to manage transactions in stores, cafes, and the places you stay. And there are additional benefits...

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/opinion/16alexander.html?module=Search&mabReward=relbias:r,{"2":"RI:18"}&_r=0

Bon chemin!

Tom
As a unilingual, English speaking Canadian pilgrim planning to walk the Le Puy route in June and trying to dredge back my high school French I am inspired by this article. Thanks for sharing.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The French are very polite people, though, and they do appreciate foreigners who at least try to communicate in French and know at least some words. Always say "bonjour/bonsoir madame/monsieur", "merci" and "au revoir", (with a smile, to everyone, even strangers you pass, like locals walking their dogs or working in their gardens, and especially to staff/other customers in shops/cafés/bars/restaurants) and you will be fine.

I endorse this in spades - smile and say "bonjour, Madame/Monsieur" and they will go out of their way to help you - forget, and you go to the back of the queue!
Seriously, I managed ok year after year with just very basic French and I speak schoolboy French. The trouble is, you can't always find a schoolboy when you want one.....

I would like to do the Le Puy to St. Jean next September but am concerned about my inability to speak French and my not much better ability to read it. I get mixed messages from the various sources I read, but my overall impression is it is necessary to at least be able to make a phone call to reserve lodging. I have done a few other camino (4 or 5) and never had to reserve accommodation nor had difficulty finding a place to sleep. I am starting a French class in January and thinking about hiring a personal tutor, but there is a limit as to how much I will be able learn. To top it all off I have some major hearing problems and using a phone is very difficult. Should I go? Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes. Or should I stay consider another route?
My wife and I did the route but we started from Geneva, through Le Puy and on to St. Jean Pied de Port, we do not speak French. Reservation were necessary in some parts as we stayed in private homes with the families (seldom did they speak much English) but we had a French dictionary, and we would have our host call and make the next nights reservations. Interestingly, we met many French hikers, and when we ask if they were going to Santiago, they said, "no" because they didn't speak Spanish. They are always amazed that we have walked over 800 miles across France without being able to speak French. Just speak with a Peter Seller's accent, and don't worry about it. We have also done the Portuguese route and the Italian Way of St. Francis and don't speak either of those languages either. We do speak English, and my Spanish is Trini Lopez's East L.A. dialect.

Go for it! My friend and I did the Le Puy to Santiago in 2015 with neither speaking any French with the exceptions of "Hello" and "Thank You". We did meet a wonderful French man who did not speak any English but the three of us became such good friends and had lots of fun using our Google Translate. He would be waiting in the next village as we came in to it to greet us. It is such a beautiful walk that I am seriously considering doing it again in 2018. Enjoy!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well...thank you all. This is all very useful and encouraging. Au devoir, met armies.

We walked Le Chemin du Puy in Spring 2016. The majority of other walkers (around 90%) were French speaking. We met about four Americans and two Australians who were not able to speak much or any French. They seemed to get by. Sometimes other walkers helped them, and sometimes the owners of the gites would book the next one for them. We practised on Duolingo a lot before we went and we go to a local French conversation class. We were able to book two beds and ask for one vegetarian meal in French. I wished that we had known a lot more French but we got by and it had a lot of fun at all the dinner parties we went to in the gites. It is a fantastic walk. I do recommend it.

I have school French, but I'm not at all fluent. On the Le Puy route, in May we found that (different to other caminos) we did need to book one night ahead. (There are three public holiday weekends in May and the French are great walkers, so the accommodation was in demand for general hikers not just pilgrims).We found that the host is always willing to make that phone call, and it saved any confusion, I hate to think what my efforts might have produced.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
have you tried to download the google translate app? You can download a offline dictionary in French so you can access it sans internet.
If you have an iPhone, Siri now translates - just ask, "Hey Siri, how do you say (whatever)" and she will give you a written translation and then read it for you. This does, however, require WiFi or cellular coverage, but most Gites I stayed at last year have one or both.

@Roamer35 , hi

I started at Le Puy April 2016. Despite 5 years secondary school French my linguistic ability is zilch (petit, ptit, petit peu).

So I taught myself to say "Je regret, mais Je ne parle pas Francais" as clearly and as quickly as possible.

Nearly always I got a response in English. My (lack of) accent would have given me away, but there was a sense I had tried.

And because my electronic ear doesn't work well with electronic phones, and because I wasn't certain where I would finish each day, I didn't book ahead.

There was only one occasion the owner of a gite did not speak English. I stayed with her two nights. I got out my tablet and using a web browser set up two instances of Google Translate. Into the English->French I would type my question, whatever. She would read. Then we swapped to the French->English tab and she would type her reply. And her dinners were 2-3 hour affairs interlaced with talk about Armagnac were marvelous.

And many of the walkers, especially the Swiss that I met, but also the French, spoke English. So I never felt alone, even though I was by myself.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

How much do you want to walk your Camino? If that's the most important thing just go for it and have an adventure, you will find ways to cope and get help an you'll be fine. The replies you have are loaded with excellent ideas for you so get some specific language skills - food, drink, accommodation, public transport and go for it. For what it's worth most of the time when I speak French to a French person they want to practice their English and we both end up speaking the other's language which is bizarre. The point made about saying your good mornings, pleases and thank yous is SO important, the French are a naturally courteous people and it's important to make a good first impression.
Ultreïa

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
How much do you want to walk your Camino? If that's the most important thing just go for it and have an adventure, you will find ways to cope and get help an you'll be fine. The replies you have are loaded with excellent ideas for you so get some specific language skills - food, drink, accommodation, public transport and go for it. For what it's worth most of the time when I speak French to a French person they want to practice their English and we both end up speaking the other's language which is bizarre. The point made about saying your good mornings, pleases and thank yous is SO important, the French are a naturally courteous people and it's important to make a good first impression.
Ultreïa
I really, really, really want to do it, and I'm gonna.

Roamer, I am walking the Le Puy to Santiago route next year. My French is OK however should I have any problems coordinating accommodations along the way I will be most happy to ask for help from the people where I am staying the day(s) before for help. I have read a great deal about the pre-booking process and it is done in order that where you are staying can know how many people there are staying in order to have the appropriate amount of food available. Typically you would stay as a demi-pension for anywhere from 35 - 40 Euros per night. There is a great Facebook group for this called Way of St James - Via Podiensis - Chemin du Puy-en-Velay. I suggest you join up. There are lots of good resources available there. I am leaving Le Puy on 4 May 2018, perhaps I'll see you on the Way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Roamer, I am walking the Le Puy to Santiago route next year. My French is OK however should I have any problems coordinating accommodations along the way I will be most happy to ask for help from the people where I am staying the day(s) before for help. I have read a great deal about the pre-booking process and it is done in order that where you are staying can know how many people there are staying in order to have the appropriate amount of food available. Typically you would stay as a demi-pension for anywhere from 35 - 40 Euros per night. There is a great Facebook group for this called Way of St James - Via Podiensis - Chemin du Puy-en-Velay. I suggest you join up. There are lots of good resources available there. I am leaving Le Puy on 4 May 2018, perhaps I'll see you on the Way.
Thanks for the useful information and will definitely check the website. I'm afraid our paths won't cross. I plan on the Le Puy route in September.

Not speaking a language is not an immutable characteristic. Many places have French schools such as L'Alliance Française. My personal learning style is that I do better in an interactive classroom, and I'd recommend in the nine months before you go, that you take a couple classes, so you can at least express yourself at a basic level and can understand signs, menus, etc. Bon chemin!

Definitely do the Le Puy...the villages, surroundings and food are too great to miss. The downside for me is that, although you may be able to get along with some French...ordering food, making hotel reservations, etc., my experience (ala the Frances) was diminished because of the inability to share information with fellow pilgrims along the way and at meals. Most of the people at the dining table spoke French and I was left out ..sometimes completely. I truly missed the comradery of the Frances since so many speak English and I speak quite a bit of Spanish. I also missed the idea that everyone was on the same mission to Santiago since most of the people (at least in the first half of the Le Puy) were walking the Rondonee and not the Camino. All this said, I am very glad I walked the Le Puy ..it was beautiful and a unique experience. Bon Chemin!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Not speaking a language is not an immutable characteristic. Many places have French schools such as L'Alliance Française. My personal learning style is that I do better in an interactive classroom, and I'd recommend in the nine months before you go, that you take a couple classes, so you can at least express yourself at a basic level and can understand signs, menus, etc. Bon chemin!
Yes, thank you. I already have registered for a class starting in January and am considering weekly sessions with a private tutor. At one time--about 20 years ago--I could read French fairly well. And I have started reviewing grammar and vocabulary. I have forgotten much. A classic case of "use it or lose it."

Yes, thank you. I already have registered for a class starting in January and am considering weekly sessions with a private tutor. At one time--about 20 years ago--I could read French fairly well. And I have started reviewing grammar and vocabulary. I have forgotten much. A classic case of "use it or lose it."
I think you'll re-find those brain paths - it will come back a lot quicker than to learn from scratch. Bonne chance!!

I walked the VP in June and made most of my bookings using email with a template in French. The Miam Miam Dodo guide gives email addresses for all the gites and indicates the many who speak English so you can call with confidence. You will be fine. I had a great time and walked with many English speakers including Americans and Canadians so I never felt isolated. However everyone sits around the same big table for dinner and I couldn't understand a word...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found there was a real 'community' amongst pilgrims on the Le Puy route. I met several people who didn't know any French, and they always got by fine, though I have one friend who did find it somewhat lonely at times. If you have a phone, and a guidebook, there is sure to be a fellow French pilgrim around who will ring up a gite for you. Also as others have mentioned, gite owners are often very good at ringing ahead for you for your next night's accommodation.
Bon chemin!
Margaret

Hi Roamer I have walked all or part of the GR 65 4 times now and speaking some French helps, but is not essential. Lots of people speak some English and when you are researching accommodation you will see that a lot of the hosts post on their websites that English is spoken too. It is such a beautiful walk it would be a shame to feel daunted by what you perceive as a lack of language skills. There is some soft ware you can get on your phone which will speak the translations to you so you could even learn as you go. Definitely full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes.

I, too, walked the Via Podiensis without any French, this last September. September is the month when the retirees of France often walk the GR65. I had no problem with reserving. I usually sent an email 2 days in advance and always got a reply. The Miam Miam Dodo's indication of English speakers relies on the gite owner's honesty when paying the fee to get their name and gite in the book. Often their English is nearly as non-existent as my French. And the only time I felt left out was at dinner table conversations. But the retired older non-English speaking French walkers were so lovely and accepting, I felt included even if I didn't understand the conversation. The smiles were enough to make me feel welcome at the table.
I used Google translate (which you can download to use offline) all the time. Since it has voice it can be an instantaneous teacher if you need it.
I will walk the LePuy route again. It is my favorite of all caminos.

Anything is possible and it is quite possible to walk the LePuy route without knowing much French at all but I think you level of enjoyment will increase almost directly in proportion to your ability to speak at least a bit of the local language. In general I think it is safe to say that French people love French wine, French cheese, French food and most of all the French language. They are scrupulously polite but I think you can be fairly certain that they will be disappointed if you have decided to walk for a month in France and have not made some effort to learn the lingua Franca. The little bit of study you have outlined together with hiring a French tutor should give you a great start. You will find that your high school French will start to mysteriously pop back into your head the longer you are in a French environment. And don't be shy about using what French you have. I found that some French people who speak reasonably good English are sometimes reluctant to use it because they feel it is not perfect. I recommend starting out a conversation in French and letting the French person switch to English if they feel the need and if they are able to. Just barge along as best you can. You very definitely will get better over the course of the walk. I personally was very lucky to have been "adopted" by a French woman who helped me enormously in communicating in restaurants and gites. It is a wonderful camino. I hope you enjoy!

https://www.duolingo.com is an excellent free site to learn a language.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did the route from Le Puy all the way to Finisterre. Don´t worry about not knowing French. I dont know French. It is manageable. It is a very special route, the French part, the scenery and the special people you meet on the way, less crowded but more time for contemplation. Enough people speak English and there are always others who can help you on the way to reserve if necessary (although I hardly had to book in May).

When entering an establishment treat it as their home by saying Bonjour often to other customers as well.

Ok, it's time for some plain speaking here. The essence of being a pilgrim is humility, and refusing to learn any of the local language is just the opposite. Don't be that guy who insists the rest of the world speak English. Even if you can't do it well, and even if you can't manage anything more than hello, goodbye, please, thank you, sorry, I'd like (to order ...), and check please, the local residents (especially the French) will appreciate that you have made the effort. It doesn't take long to master the most basic of pleasantries.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
yes Kitsambler is right on! Pilgrimage is an opportunity for us to expand and appreciate our humility, kindness, respect etc for ourselves and all those around us. I believe pilgrimage is humanity at its best, and leads to a life of true Christianity in our daily life!

Buen Camino de Vida.
p.s. on top of learning French with the Duolingo website, I also try all those Learning French lessons on Youtube, my old rusty 68 years old mind might not be able to retain much, but surely it has been lots of fun learning! Merci!

Yes do not worry; I suppose the majority of the pilgrins do not speak the local language : Francais and in Spanish; Just learn the minimum words like "bonjour"; My suggestion is that you make the reservation for the next day when you are in the "gite"; there will be somebody speaking french; ask him( or her) to phone for you. The problem is the phone. If there is a Wi Fi , you can use skype or whatsapp. The best is to buy a sim card and a prepaid card. You will really enjoy the french camino. Less people means, the contacts are easier. Also the path is really in wonderful places. Just go and enjoy.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Try to buy " mian mian dodo"; you will have all the info for sleeping, eating and on the path to follow. You will see some useful words.

Ok, it's time for some plain speaking here. The essence of being a pilgrim is humility, and refusing to learn any of the local language is just the opposite. Don't be that guy who insists the rest of the world speak English. Even if you can't do it well, and even if you can't manage anything more than hello, goodbye, please, thank you, sorry, I'd like (to order ...), and check please, the local residents (especially the French) will appreciate that you have made the effort. It doesn't take long to master the most basic of pleasantries.
coucou Kitsambler! I could not agree with you more [a touch of humility and the pilgrim spirit] ... a little spoken french goes a very long way in France ... and is one of the great joys of travelling there

I hope to walk Le Puy this year after Camino Frances in 2017. I have holidayed in France for years..and agree that if you make the effort to speak French , they will open up and are usually very friendly and welcoming

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try to walk with some people from Quebec, most of us will have a bit of English and can help you out along the way. The French will recognise our accent when we speak French and they treat us like long lost cousins. French-Canadians will usually do the Camino Frances first, but our second Camino is most often the Puy-en-Velay route so you will meet quite a few of us along the way. The Puy route is on my list and I will walk it when I retire in a few years.

I just started French with an app called Babble, I find it superior to Duolingo and is quite affordable.

Try to walk with some people from Quebec, most of us will have a bit of English and can help you out along the way. The French will recognise our accent when we speak French and they treat us like long lost cousins. French-Canadians will usually do the Camino Frances first, but our second Camino is most often the Puy-en-Velay route so you will meet quite a few of us along the way. The Puy route is on my list and I will walk it when I retire in a few years.
We did meet two French Canadians when we walked Le Chemin du Puy. It was great to have them at the dinner table as they could switch from French to English really easily and make jokes in both languages. They were indeed excellent company when we walked with them for some of the following day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Swiss are also generally quite comfortable in English. In fact, it seemed to me that the German-speaking Swiss would rather speak English than French, and the French-speaking Swiss would rather speak English than German. And I came across more Swiss than Quebecois on the Le Puy route.

The Swiss are also generally quite comfortable in English. In fact, it seemed to me that the German-speaking Swiss would rather speak English than French, and the French-speaking Swiss would rather speak English than German. And I came across more Swiss than Quebecois on the Le Puy route.
Yes, we did have this experience once too. We shared a room with a Swiss pilgrim. She told us she would like to speak English with us. She sat next to us at dinner and spoke English with us then too. She also spoke fluent French and German and did speak all three languages at the dinner table switching from one to the other with no difficulty at all. She was the only Swiss pilgrim we met on Le Chemin du Puy. We did meet Swiss pilgrims on the Camino Frances too, and they were very versatile in their use of languages.

Bonjour,
We will be walking the Le Puy route late August 2018 to early September. I'm so happy you started this thread Roamer35 because I had all of the same questions including the fact that I am partially deaf which makes listening and speaking very difficult. I took several years of French in high school and college and as I write this I can see the words en français. However, I can't speak the words correctly. Like you, I plan to work hard at improving how I speak during the next eight months.

Thank you to everyone who posted, your input is very helpful.

I have what might be a silly question (or two or trois).
1. Is Miam Miam Dodo written only in French?
2. Does anyone have a recommendation for improving how one speaks French - making the leap from knowing vocabulary to putting it all together in a comprehensible sentence. Whenever, I speak French, the listener almost always responds, "Je ne parle pas anglais." :)
3. Is there a good online program available for listening practice? I will check out the two mentioned in this thread - are there any other recommendations.

Merci et bon chemin!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Bonjour,
We will be walking the Le Puy route late August 2018 to early September. I'm so happy you started this thread Roamer35 because I had all of the same questions including the fact that I am partially deaf which makes listening and speaking very difficult. I took several years of French in high school and college and as I write this I can see the words en français. However, I can't speak the words correctly. Like you, I plan to work hard at improving how I speak during the next eight months.

2. Does anyone have a recommendation for improving how one speaks French - making the leap from knowing vocabulary to putting it all together in a comprehensible sentence. Whenever, I speak French, the listener almost always responds, "Je ne parle pas anglais." :)
3. Is there a good online program available for listening practice? I will check out the two mentioned in this thread - are there any other recommendations.

Merci et bon chemin!
1. Yes Miam Miam Dodo is written in French; however, it is really useful for the accommodation and phone numbers. It also shows the route. I don't know of a better guidebook although I think there may be others.
2. I can sympathise with that as I also find it hard to string a sentence together although I can understand quite a lot of French. We go to a local French conversation group to which French people also go. I find it helpful listening to French people speaking. Maybe you could find a local French class or get some French tuitions as you have a bit of time before you go.
3. Duolingo does include some listening practice. It is a mixture of things.

1. Yes Miam Miam Dodo is written in French; however, it is really useful for the accommodation and phone numbers. It also shows the route. I don't know of a better guidebook although I think there may be others.
2. I can sympathise with that as I also find it hard to string a sentence together although I can understand quite a lot of French. We go to a local French conversation group to which French people also go. I find it helpful listening to French people speaking. Maybe you could find a local French class or get some French tuitions as you have a bit of time before you go.
3. Duolingo does include some listening practice. It is a mixture of things.
Thank you very much! I will order the book. :)

I recommend the Pimsleur language method. The Pimsleur lessons transitioned from cassette tapes to CDs. I have borrowed the CDs from my local library and I listen to them in my car. (My library had to get an interlibrary loan to get me the advanced lessons.)

The foundation of the Pimsleur learning approach is listening first, then imitating. You listen, listen again, and then start repeating. New vocab is added and reused in later lessons. The lessons offer the usual language learning scenarios: meeting someone, ordering in a restaurant, etc. Using this method you are always speaking complete sentences or complete responses and in this way you build fluency.

I am pretty good at French but I have found that repetitive listening to the intermediate and advanced lessons allowed me to pick up pronunciation subtleties which I could emulate.

Tom

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Insofar as schematic maps, address listings, and services icons may be considered"French",yes. But really, if you have had any exposure at all to French, you can manage it.
2. Does anyone have a recommendation for improving how one speaks French
I've had terrific success with the Michel Thomas series (available as a phone app. I listen while doing training hikes.)
3. Is there a good online program available for listening practice?
Try "Slow News in French"

I recommend the Pimsleur language method. The Pimsleur lessons transitioned from cassette tapes to CDs. I have borrowed the CDs from my local library and I listen to them in my car. (My library had to get an interlibrary loan to get me the advanced lessons.)

The foundation of the Pimsleur learning approach is listening first, then imitating. You listen, listen again, and then start repeating. New vocab is added and reused in later lessons. The lessons offer the usual language learning scenarios: meeting someone, ordering in a restaurant, etc. Using this message you are always speaking complete sentences or complete responses and in this way you build fluency.

I am pretty good at French but I have found that repetitive listening to the intermediate and advanced lessons allowed me to pick up pronunciation subtleties which I could emulate.

Tom
My French is pretty fluent. Via RB digital linked to my UK library I happened to download Primsleur "speak French in eight easy lessons", it seems good and is very useful to hear a decent French speaker speak the phrases . Worth looking out for.

Thank you all for your help. I have another question. I would like to make flashcards of French phrases with pictures and audio. I plan to uses Anki to create the flashcards although there may be an easier program to use. Obviously, I do not want to use a recording of my own misérable pronunciation for the audio portion.

Does anyone know how to download the audio files for Google's translations OR better yet is there a list of mp3 links to common French phases that I could download and add to my flashcards. I'm not having much luck searching.

I found a phrase book with audio on Amazon, but I don't know how to download the translation from the Internet to my computer so I can upload it on to my flashcards. Thank you again for your help.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you very much! I will order the book. :)
Hi Julie and Peter, I have remembered that we did also have another Guide book but we didn't take it with us. It was the Cicerone Guide by Alison Raju called "The Way of St James France Le Puy to the Pyrenees". It was a good little book with maps and descriptions of the walk; however, we could only take one Guide book because of the weight. Miam Miam Do Do won because it had the all important information about the accommodation. We did like looking at the Cicerone Guide before we went though.

I would like to make flashcards of French phrases with pictures and audio.
The Duolingo app, which is free, is essentially a programmed sequence of audio flash cards. Making your own set is very time-consuming. Why not invest that time to more useful advantage with Duolingo?

eum, intéressant ... très intéressant !!!

Although as a "purist" I'm naturally disinclined against any Caminos not made continuously from Point A to Santiago at least ; unless to some other major Shrine such as Fatima, Lourdes, or Rome (.... hmmmm actually that's a pretty decent idea ; why not Le Puy to Lourdes ??? That would be an unimpeachable pilgrimage "purism"-wise, and you'd get to do virtually all of it on the Camino !!! Plus, the Pilgrims Hostel at Lourdes is, with Fénix at Villafranca, one of the two absolute best of the entire Camino (withstanding the Paradors for those who can afford them, and certain manner of exceptional hospitality for practising Faithful Catholics at some Abbeys or Monasteries or so forth) ; even go via SJPP if you wanted and had sufficient time)

Don't worry about the French -- but taking the lessons is most certainly a good idea, so carry on with them.

But I'd suggest asking your tutor to focus on the most basic Grammar first, plus the most basic and useful shopping and "tourist" vocabulary (stuff like how to ask for a room, how much?, numbers so you can understand prices, basic grammar to understand "dumbed-down frog for foreigners", how to ask and understand directions, how to pronounce a bewildering variety of village names, and -- even more importantly -- essential politeness and étiquette, such as the need to say "bonjour"/"bon soir"/"bonne nuit"/"merci beaucoup"/"s'il vous plaît"/"vous êtes bien gentil(le)"/and so on and so forth that are social necessaries for a good pilgrim experience in those villages and towns.

Also, the French will be kind with your bad hearing, as long as you can ask your tutor to teach you the sorts of methods that the French themselves use when they find themselves in such predicament.

Finally, your French will improve whilst you are in France.

---

Good luck, and Buen Camino !!!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
oh deary me, it's flipping old zombie thread syndrome again isn't it ...

This is starting to become seriously annoying.

The Duolingo app, which is free, is essentially a programmed sequence of audio flash cards. Making your own set is very time-consuming. Why not invest that time to more useful advantage with Duolingo?
Hi,
Thank you. I think I will probably do both the Duolingo app and make my own. I am reading a book right now called Fluent Forever, and the author feels strongly that making one's own flash cards is crucial to long term memory storage. As a teacher, I agree with him. Typically, when you create something with newly learned concepts (it should be something more creative than flash cards, but I'm starting with the cards), you have a personal connection to the new knowledge, and this connection makes it easier for your brain recall the information. Actually, I think what I might do is study the Duolingo cards and then make my own audio for my cards . . . thanks again!

oh deary me, it's flipping old zombie thread syndrome again isn't it ...

This is starting to become seriously annoying.

I know what you mean! It is now necessary to look at the date of the original post before replying.

But this thread is quite new, and I am sure the OP is still around :).

Jill

Ivar has recently added the heading "OLDER threads on this topic", which is helping me to not go down that rabbit hole. On the other hand, I have still found some useful nuggets of information from some of those old threads inadvertently being resurrected...like this one! Lol.

Hello Again,

If any of you are interested in creating your own flash cards with sound, I finally found a great pronunciation site that allows one to download the sound and then add it to the cards you make. https://forvo.com/ (it's free).

Thanks again for all of your suggestions!
Bon Chemin

My wife and I did the route but we started from Geneva, through Le Puy and on to St. Jean Pied de Port, we do not speak French. Reservation were necessary in some parts as we stayed in private homes with the families (seldom did they speak much English) but we had a French dictionary, and we would have our host call and make the next nights reservations. Interestingly, we met many French hikers, and when we ask if they were going to Santiago, they said, "no" because they didn't speak Spanish. They are always amazed that we have walked over 800 miles across France without being able to speak French. Just speak with a Peter Seller's accent, and don't worry about it. We have also done the Portuguese route and the Italian Way of St. Francis and don't speak either of those languages either. We do speak English, and my Spanish is Trini Lopez's East L.A. dialect.

Hi, I’d like to stay in hostels or “bed & breakfasts” with private accommodations. Can you recommend a guide or online list of private homes for the Le Puy route (a la “casa rural” as they’re called in Spain)? Merci!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
They are generally referred to as gites in France and normally you need to contact the owner in advance to secure a room and a meal.

Bonjour,

Merci et bon chemin!

Perhaps another option to look into:
I used Coffee Break Spanish, along with Duolingo before walking the CF last year; and will use Coffee Break French for Le Puy. There is a fee for Coffee Break, but I loved the convenience of downloading the 15-minute lessons via podcasts. I could listen, practice, and repeat often. I listened/practiced on my training walks, in the car, and at home. The lessons incorporated practical, useful situational vignettes vs learning vocabulary out of context.
I’m planning to walk Le Puy in Aug/Sept 2018. Just now beginning my research. ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
They are generally referred to as gites in France and normally you need to contact the owner in advance to secure a room and a meal.

Merci! I thought gites were more like an albergue with multiple people sharing a room (though perhaps on a much smaller scale than what is found on the CF).

I will check the Miam Miam guide. Thanks again.

Gîtes d’etape are like albergues. Gîtes rural are a system of bed and breakfasts for vacationers. Chambre d’hôte is a room in the owner’s home. Miam Miam Dodo lists them all along the Chemin de St. Jacques.

No, actually a gites are generally self serviced apartments, I have a friend near St. Emilion who has 4 apartments which she rents at gites, they range in size from 2 bedrooms to studio apartments with lofts that sleep 4 to 6 people, but these are not spaces you share with other guest.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The legend for Miam will explain all the accommodations. Read it, and it all becomes clear. Regardless, call ahead. No one is waiting for your business, and even the gîtes d’etape can be fully booked.

As a unilingual, English speaking Canadian pilgrim planning to walk the Le Puy route in June and trying to dredge back my high school French I am inspired by this article. Thanks for sharing.
Hello Man in Black. My plans have changed from September to June. Will arrive in Le Puy on the 15th and start walking on the 17th. When will you be there?

Hey Roamer 35. We leave Le Puy on June 1 and so we are only a couple months away from heading out again. Do you belong to the Le Puy Facebook group? Super helpful group with many resources and pictures. There is an Irish photographer whose photographs that he shares with the group are truly works of art. Here is the link if you are so inclined. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ViaPodiensis/ Bon chemin.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
To top it all off I have some major hearing problems and using a phone is very difficult.

Should I go? Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes.

Or should I consider another route?

@Roamer35 , I say go from Le Puy.

Like you I have a major hearing problems. This often hinders my hearing nuances of pronunciation (in any language). For me travel in Australia, Scotland and its neighbour (as examples) from my home in New Zealand is often fraught for me because of my hearing.

French cafe menus look much the same as at home and accommodation hosts have an interest in understanding your needs in English. Just take is slowly.

And places of interest tend to have multi-lingual information information displays.

It doesnt take too long to get into the groove. Enjoy

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Bonjour,

Merci et bon chemin!
I've found the LingQ site very helpful for listening. It has short conversations or recordings on different subjects at all levels. As for speaking, I once heard a polyglot on YouTube say that the best way to learn to speak another language was to practice what he called "Shadowing." He played a tape and used a text to read along with it. And he emphasized walking at the same time. Something to do with the connection between the brain and body movement. I do this without the text when I go on my daily walk and it seems to be working. Bonne Chance!

Hi! I walked from Le Puy to Moissac (400km) in 18 days ending on April 24, 2018. I agree generally with all of the previous comment, except the following:
1. There were no "tourism offices" to help with reservations.
2. In my experience not booking your gîte in advance is risky. We booked one night in advance and got the last two beds four times. April is not that busy but many gîtes were not open yet.
3. I wouldn't rely on E-mail for booking. We tried that a couple of times and never received a reply even though the gîte did reserve our room.
4. The first half of the VP is very hilly. Our total elevation gain/return for 18 days was 20,000 ft. (6,100 m). Our hardest day was 2,600 ft. (800 m) gain.
5. Therefore, keep your backpack weight to 10% of your body weight. Mine weighed 25 lbs. (11 kg) which was way too much.
6. There are baggage transport companies, but you have to call them the afternoon before which means you need to know where you are staying the following day by mid-afternoon.
7. We were able to stay at a gîte that would wash/dry our clothes every 3 to 5 days. Line drying outside was possible only the last week when temperatures were above 75 F (24 C).
8. We had freezing temperatures and sleet on April 11th at our highest elevation which was 4,500 ft. (1350 m) near Aubrac.
Good Luck!

It is great you are learning some French! It is a beautiful language-- My French is terrible, but I walked in September and got by with rudimentary sentences, many "Pardon!"s and eye contact and a smile and gestures. The information offices are great, as they'll call for you and explain what you want. They almost always have someone who speaks English. -- Except Gare de Nord. No one at the info office spoke English there-- but they were really patient with me, and we all ended up laughing together at my silly French. That is something I love about the French, they'll speak slowly and are patient enough to give me time so I can puzzle out a few sentences. In Germany, people shift to English and are a bit derisive, when-- honestly, my German is better than their English... Okay, but that's another topic. -- On the Chemin, I also would ask other walkers to call and make a reservation for me. Younger people (high school and college age) generally have better English. -- I would learn some key phrases and then write them on some index cards and stick them in your pocket. Examples: "Excuse me, I need help." "I am hungry" "I need a bed for tonight." "I am lost." "I am a pilgrim." Then if you say the sentence in French, but are not understood, you can hand the person a card.
In all respect, I know the French culture rather well. Having notes written on cards is a good idea, just handing them over and not trying to communicate is not. Much better to practice your French and struggle through. IMHO :)

In all respect, I know the French culture rather well. Having notes written on cards is a good idea, just handing them over and not trying to communicate is not. Much better to practice your French and struggle through. IMHO :)
Absolutely. I wasn't thinking of handing them over to the person. I was thinking of reading the notes to help struggle through.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I found that making the effort to speak French was much more well received than the actual quality of the French that came out. Making no effort shows, well, a lack of effort. Your shyness will be interpreted as arrogance, not, well, shyness.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back