• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Special albergues on the Meseta

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
I'm looking for special albergues on the Meseta for an article I'm writing. These are the three that I have thought of. Can you think of any others with religious/historical/architectural significance?

The ruins of the monastery of San Antón
Ermita de San Nicolás
Convento de Santa Clara (Carrión de los Condes)

Thanks in advance!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In Castrojeriz the private albergue Ultreia has a large wine press over the dining table. After dinner we were invited to explore a tunnel that extended under the street. It served as a bodega and a defensive place of hiding.

In addition to San Antón and San Nicolás:
Santa Maria del Camino, also in Carrion de los Condes.
It's one of the really special ones.
Edit: Also, for as long as Laura is still the hospitalera, the Municipal in Mansilla de las Mulas

Laura : the queen of blister treatment! Such a wonderful albergue. One of the best nights on my first Camino.

Laura : the queen of blister treatment! Such a wonderful albergue. One of the best nights on my first Camino.
Indeed; this is a special place with true caritas.

From my blog of November 21, 2014,

"Monday at dawn the rain had ceased and the pale blue sky was luminous with that special glow of an early medieval painting; at last the day was perfect for walking!
I walked on to Mansilla de las Mulas east of Leon where in the municipal albergue a special hospitalera, Laura, has served for many years; now she and her father manage the place together.
Over time much space has been re-purposed; what was a shower is storage, new showers are now on the patio and a tiny entry level dorm has become the supplementary dining area. Many potted plants brighten the interior and electric heaters provide warmth these cold nights. Most pilgrims cook and congregate in the comfortable kitchen where Laura offers a multitude of advice on shops, routes or blister care, etc.
She greets each pilgrim personally and always gives me a big hug remembering my name and earlier visits.
Thus ...in her distinctive way Laura has created a 'pilgrim home' with much ambiance and soul. All who stop are richer for the experience."

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bercianos del Real Camino with the nuns is a most remarkable old clay house, and great atmosphere
I have walked on the Meseta 3 times. There are some really nice places with good memories that I stayed at. But the Albergue Parrpquial Casa Rectoral in Bercianos holds the most special of memories. It was 8 years ago but I am sure it is as wonderful as ever. Yes it is old and the floors creak. The welcome could not be warmer and friendlier. I helped prepare the communal dinner. I just chopped up stuff for the salad. We had a wonderful dinner and they had people gather from the country they were from with other pilgrims from their country to explain and sing a song that represented the spirit or culture of their country. It was so much fun. After dinner there many of us went into a small chapel with candles and there was just a wonderful young priest who spoke to us in Spanish and English we had a meditation together that was non sectarian and made everyone no matter their religious affiliation or no affiliation at all feel welcomed and comfortable. There was a nice breakfast in the morning. You grabbed your backpack and made a right out the door and off to walk so more of the Meseta.
So sad but the last two times I walked the CF it was too late in the year and this wonderful place was closed.

The Albergue los Templarios in Terradillos de los Templarios. Situated ‘in the middle of nowhere’ with a fence all around it, the gate of which is locked at 10m PM – but that’s all right as there is nowhere to go. A very warm welcome by the hospitalera and dinner served at small tables. At night, a fabulous ‘unpolluted’ view to the starry night sky.

This large painting on the wall behind the bar:

IMG_20180901_144019.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On a different note is Betania's winter albergue. It's not historic or archectictural special! But it is special! The couple run a small winter albergue in Fromista with an incredibly warm welcome and care...they spent the evening with 3 pilgrims of differing languages making a jigsaw on a bitterly cold January night...it's one of my favourite memories of the camino

On a different note is Betania's winter albergue. It's not historic or archectictural special! But it is special! The couple run a small winter albergue in Fromista with an incredibly warm welcome and care...they spent the evening with 3 pilgrims of differing languages making a jigsaw on a bitterly cold January night...it's one of my favourite memories of the camino

They only open when all others are closed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I stayed at the Albergue de Santa Cruz in Sahagun in 2016 and 2019. In 2016 it was the worst experience on my pilgrimage. I found that the management had changed, and had a completely opposite experience in 2019. I would now say that it's one of the best stays on the Meseta. I was in lots of pain, and they took such good care of me. For 5 euros, I had a private bed and bath.

Nick, I know it’s not what you’re looking for but the best Albergue anywhere, anytime, is the one in which I lie my weary head at the end of another day on Camino. Some have history, some have none. Some have every facility, some have few. Some have been as welcoming as my mother’s arms, some more like London to a runaway with no money in his skip.
None of which should really matter to a pilgrim or a passenger on the road.
All that typed: the municipal at Castrojerez will remain in my heart forever. Stark modern building; a mattress on the floor. And a welcome for a pilgrim.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm looking for special albergues on the Meseta for an article I'm writing. These are the three that I have thought of. Can you think of any others with religious/historical/architectural significance?

On entering Hontanas, Albergue de Juan Yepes. New (2015?) - private - built as an albergue - great care given when I went lame there - great reception when I returned 18 months to complete.

I stayed at the Albergue de Santa Cruz in Sahagun in 2016 and 2019. In 2016 it was the worst experience on my pilgrimage. I found that the management had changed, and had a completely opposite experience in 2019. I would now say that it's one of the best stays on the Meseta. I was in lots of pain, and they took such good care of me. For 5 euros, I had a private bed and bath.
I also stayed here in 2019 and it is at the top of my list for when I go back to Spain.

A great welcome, a real bed in a room to myself with my own shower and bathroom. An invitation to afternoon tea and a group chat that I really needed that day. An invitation to mass at a beautiful church around the corner and then topped off with a shared dinner where I got to cook two slightly different chicken curries. All for E10.

Indeed; this is a special place with true caritas.

From my blog of November 21, 2014,

"Monday at dawn the rain had ceased and the pale blue sky was luminous with that special glow of an early medieval painting; at last the day was perfect for walking!
I walked on to Mansilla de las Mulas east of Leon where in the municipal albergue a special hospitalera, Laura, has served for many years; now she and her father manage the place together.
Over time much space has been re-purposed; what was a shower is storage, new showers are now on the patio and a tiny entry level dorm has become the supplementary dining area. Many potted plants brighten the interior and electric heaters provide warmth these cold nights. Most pilgrims cook and congregate in the comfortable kitchen where Laura offers a multitude of advice on shops, routes or blister care, etc.
She greets each pilgrim personally and always gives me a big hug remembering my name and earlier visits.
Thus ...in her distinctive way Laura has created a 'pilgrim home' with much ambiance and soul. All who stop are richer for the experience."
Very evocative description. mspath, your profile indicates that you're from France. But you writing seems to have an American flavor to it. My apologies in advance should I sound offensive.

Good to know. Now I don't feel bad about staying elsewhere in 2016.

The ruins of the monastery of San Antón
Ermita de San Nicolás
Convento de Santa Clara (Carrión de los Condes)

Thanks in advance!
Love, love San Anton😍 I highly recommend La Fabrica in Tardajos. Has it all clean very nice rooms, food, drink, hospitality and laundry.

That's a really nice article. I believe Orion is for sale though, so unsure if they're going to be there next year :)

The Albergue los Templarios in Terradillos de los Templarios. Situated ‘in the middle of nowhere’ with a fence all around it, the gate of which is locked at 10m PM – but that’s all right as there is nowhere to go. A very warm welcome by the hospitalera and dinner served at small tables. At night, a fabulous ‘unpolluted’ view to the starry night sky.

View attachment 88079
I remember walking by that!!

View attachment 88079
I enjoyed my stay there also. It's pretty close to the middle of the Frances when starting from SJPP.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was disappointed the last time I did the camino that too many people are reserving these fine albergues and the wandering pilgrims can't even have a shot at them. For this reason, I don't give out too many good albergues to the forum.

I was disappointed the last time I did the camino that too many people are reserving these fine albergues and the wandering pilgrims can't even have a shot at them. For this reason, I don't give out too many good albergues to the forum.
Do you fish?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I assume you are referring to secret trout pools? (Many of my friends in Taupo claimed to have their own secret spot that they would never reveal...)
Sort of, the comment was a bit more general. I am not a trout fisherman but I do love fishing from boats out on the ocean, especially on days like this.

IMG_20180114_112217052.jpg

Not the photo I wanted but it will suffice.

What I share with many trout fishermen though and some people don't get is that it is more about being in a superb environment often with someone you are so atuned to that there is little reason for conversation. Catching fish is an optional bonus that comes from the intellectual effort of sometimes outsmarting a fish.

IMG_20200102_171149465.jpg

Edit: I sidetracked myself. Yes the ocean has its special spots just like those secret trout pools 😁 and most fishermen don't share the best ones.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In Hornillos I stayed at the Meeting Point in 2019. It was run by a brother and sister. Dinner was an outstanding paella. The kitchen area was open if you wanted to watch her cook. I was the only American that night. On one side of me was a group of Italians and on the other a French group. Both groups competed to keep my wine glass full.
The next night in Castrojeriz I stayed at the Ultreia. It was a great experience. The food was good. The had both red wine and sangria. The other folks preferred the wine and I enjoyed the sangria. After dinner, the host explained how the wine press worked and you could work the capstan if you so desired. This was followed by a tour into the basement which connected to some ancient ruins from the Roman times. The host said that that area was undergoing exploration in the fall. He pointed out a passageway that had been recently discovered.
Both places are worth a stop if those are your endpoints for the day.

Re: Fishing and favourite albergues.

I will always share my favourite albergues, some of which take reservations and some of which don't. It is part and parcel of how I do "being a pilgrim" and part of what I find most rewarding about the experience. Yes, being a "wandering pilgrim" and happening across great experiences by serendipity is a wonderful part of the pilgrim experience. But for me, much more essential to the pilgrim experience is the pilgrim community and the way pilgrims share, encourage, support and help each other. And sharing knowledge of our favourite albergues is part of that. And if it happens to be full or booked when I get there, so be it. I'm sure the pilgrims who are there will be enjoying their stay. (And maybe I'll make the extra effort, either booking ahead or leaving early, the next time. Or maybe not and find another wonderful place or experience.)

My favorite Meseta albergue is La Finca in Población de Campos, four km past Fromista. The "bunks" are wonderful. Each one is like a tiny room and includes real sheets and a blanket. And no ladders - the upper bunks are accessed by tiny staircases. There is an optional communal dinner, and they even let your use the washing machine for no charge!

20170721_142220_copy_2016x1512_1.jpg20170721_143141_copy_2016x1512.jpg

Yes the ocean has its special spots just like those secret trout pools 😁 and most fishermen don't share the best ones.
When I am sitting on a reef, I will look at my radar and see who is around ... if they are stationary for a while ... I use my GPS to mark their location ... next time in the area ... I check their spot to see what type of structure they were on. I have picked up several "special spots" that way. :eek:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.