• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Special clothing

katiawt

I was reading Kitsambler's blog and wondering if I'll need special clothing.
I will walk from Le Puy in September as she did and I am not used to 40F... Usually walk portuguese camino in october but not that cold...
Long underware?? Special coats?? :?: :?: :?:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm not sure what you mean by "special". The general clothing advice is detailed elsewhere in these forums (see: Equipment) but generally you want material that will dry very quickly and is possibly also "wicking". In September, while in the early sections of the Le Puy route while you are still up on the plateau at elevation, some nights are cooler, so either a very lightweight jacket or a plan to layer a shirt on top of an undershirt would work. If you are really sensitive to cooler temperatures, then you might make your underlayer one of the Merino wool or blend pieces (top and/or bottom). I didn't take a sweater or insulated jacket or vest. The only time I was chilly was one night, when I was still at elevation and it was rainy.

So, to summarize: layers, quick drying, consider Merino wool if sensitive to chill

For me living in Orlando so long, I tend to need a heavy coat at around 50F. I figure to take warm clothing for my April-May Camino. Merino wool is highly touted on the forum. I would also plan on at least a Fleece for cooler nights or days.
Tony

Added to this forum using Tapatalk 2

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola - I agree. September will still be warm but may get colder especially mornings and evenings in the higher elevations. I find a merino wool base layer ideal as it is light and great for layering in the temperature drops.

Regards

John

JohnnieWalker said:
Hola - I agree. September will still be warm but may get colder especially mornings and evenings in the higher elevations. I find a merino wool base layer ideal as it is light and great for layering in the temperature drops. Regards John

I agree 100%. September can be HOT in Spain. In all probability only the mountain tops will be cool - and you may even be glad of the coolness!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

I think I am at risk of repeating the good advice already given - layering is more important than 'special' clothing. The only thing that I would add is that you should consider a wind-resistant or wind-proof outer layer, which a good rain jacket would normally provide. If you choose a poncho instead of a jacket, you will need to consider how you do this.

My experience on the Camino Frances in Mar/Apr/May 2010 was that I didn't need the thermals I was carrying as a base layer. I had already planned to post them anyway, but I wouldn't carry them at all next time.

This year in Norway on St Olav's Way, I again carried a set of thermals, warm gloves, beanie and buff on the basis of advice from the Oslo Pilgrim Centre and the dire predictions of walking in snow across the Dovrefjell Mountains. They had a relaxing trip in the bottom of my bag! Layering was more than enough to stay warm when it was needed, including keeping the wind out when it got bitter, and there was a little snow to walk through.

The best thing that I added to my clothes list was a very light (approx 150gm) Helly Hensen wind and water resistant top. This provided just enough protection on most days when putting on a rain jacket would have made me much too warm and sweaty. I think this would work with a poncho as well, but I haven't tried that combination myself.

Regards,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks
I1ll think of a three layers clothing. I was thinking of a more heavy coat but I´ll take your advice for sure!!
Katia

katiawt said:
Thanks
I1ll think of a three layers clothing. I was thinking of a more heavy coat but I´ll take your advice for sure!!
Katia
Layering gives you more flexibility, so once you have a base and middle layer, and are carrying a light fleece and rain-jacket, then you can can add a warm layer, or a waterproof layer, or both, depending on what you need. Three options to stay warm, dry(ish) and stop the wind. A heavy coat is only ever going to be one option.

Regards,

Remember, too, that you'll warm up quickly once you start walking. So definitely nix the heavy coat and go with layers.

One other thing -- definitely bring a light pair of gloves. My hands get cold very easily (I have Reynaud's Syndrome), so even on cooler days when I didn't need a warmer coat, I could have really used gloves for the first hour or so.

Oh -- one other thought. I bought a pair of running sleeves because I run in cold weather. (You can Google them, but they're synthetic compression sleeves for your arms.) I tossed them in my bag last time, and they were absolutely perfect for the Camino. Not only did they keep me warm, but they were much lighter and easier to pack than a shirt. Your core stays warmer anyway -- you start getting colder on your extremities first (hands/fingers, feet/toes), then arms and legs, so I didn't need more warmth over my core, just my arms.

They also make running compression socks and calf sleeves, and those work the same way -- better than packing long underwear because they're lighter and smaller. And with the leg ones, they're also supposed to help your muscles and aid in recovery, so you may even be less sore after your day's hike. I wear the socks in almost all weather when running or hiking except when it's really hot.

Melanie

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I walk in the cold, and I've got one good general rule for that. Wear it, don't carry it. Everything is a layer. Don't carry your Altus, wear it for wind. Don't carry your spare T-shirt, use it as a middle layer. It won't get dirty between other layers in cold weather.

And, of course, no bear skins. LIght layers only, on your back, not in your pack.

Oh, and consider mitts over gloves, preferably kept dry by pulling the sleeves of the Altus over them. I've been caught out with wet and frozen hands on the meseta. Couldn't get the gloves over my wet fingers! And get that Altus on before the rain, because in winter, on the Aubrac, in wind and sleet, your hands may be too cold for the operation once they're wet.

Beware of ponchos that aren't wind stable. (That's most ponchos!) Another lesson learnt on the Aubrac.

Makes it all sound scary, but if you stay dry and don't take silly risks, it's all good. Some pilgrimage-as-achievement types told me I was soft for taking the road down from Nasbinals instead of going through heavy snow and possible white-out on the GR65. Soft! I blushed. As a shameless dawdler, I was flattered.

Random thoughts from a winter/spring type. Hope they help.

rob

robertt said:
Some pilgrimage-as-achievement types told me I was soft for taking the road down from Nasbinals instead of going through heavy snow and possible white-out on the GR65. Soft! I blushed. As a shameless dawdler, I was flattered.rob
Rob, the first time I walked in 2008 I took the road also- as recommended by locals. The GR65 route to Aubrac was saturated after heavy rainfall and there was heavy fog that day. But you might have to walk again: this year the weather was glorious and I was so glad I could walk the GR65 and see the views. I was more in danger of getting sunstroke this time!!- but oh the views were simply 'to die for' and this day ranks right up there as one of the happiest on this year's Camino.

But back to the OP. I agree with all the info about layers being the key to it all. (Personally I am a merino fan, but then I am a Kiwi!) And although you need to keep an eye on keeping gear lightweight, there is no need to go out and buy a whole lot of expensive outdoor gear. However, I think that where you do need to choose carefully is in the area of footwear and socks. A Camino is might come to a premature end because of a blister-causing shoe-sock combo, but clothing issues are usually easily 'fixed' along the way.
Margaret
Margaret

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back