• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Special intentions

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome to the forum, and buen camino. I can’t answer your question, exactly. I can tell you that in the church at Zabaldika you can write intentions on post-its. They are posted inside the frame where a large crucifix hangs. Every so often, some are removed to make way for new ones. Those that have been removed are burned, intentionally. So, if you don’t get the answer, at least you know you will be able to leave the intentions in a place early on the camino where others can read them and carry the intentions along the way.
147966EE-C53E-442C-BAAB-4FE4A2D8C346.jpeg

I had an idea of carrying the intentions of my loved ones with me, written on paper. Is there a place to leave such intentions in the Cathedral? Some kind of votive place?

Not in the cathedral, but people put them anyway through the metal grid/door before the tomb. The best place to leave them is in the chapel of the pilgrim's office, there is a basket for intentions. Mass in English is 09:30 every day there and Father Manny is always happy to dedicate the mass for the intentions of a pilgrim or pilgrim group.
BC SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When I walked this winter the weather was pretty miserable. When I woke up in Astorga the owner of our albergue told us we should take a buss there was heavy snow going up to Cruz de Ferro and they were turning people back at Rabanal. She said there was no place to stay in Rabanal as they sending people back to Astorga in taxis. So I missed the chance to leave my rock there.
When I got to Santiago I went into the meditation chapel as there were no services because of the renovation. I held my rock and placed under my seat. It was something that probably should not have been done but it was something I felt at the moment.

Thank you all for your suggestions-- especially about Zabaldika and the chapel in the pilgrim's office. :)

I had an idea of carrying the intentions of my loved ones with me, written on paper. Is there a place to leave such intentions in the Cathedral? Some kind of votive place?
I am with David Cruz De Ferro A very very special place google it you will see what we mean. I took my granddaughter's picture on a T shirt in 2017 as she died from Cystic Fibrosis at the age of 17 It was a bit out there but I didn't care wearing it got me through the hard bits. Good luck God bless.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is there a place to leave such intentions in the Cathedral?

Thinking outside the box:

You may wish to consider continuing (walk or bus or both) to Fisterra (Land's End).

There you may find a place to, considerately, bury your loved one's intentions. Either at the Pharos on top of the spit or after a short walk over a slight hill immediately west of the town.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong)

Just curious if you saw my post. There IS a chapel in the Cathedral where you can leave intentions. The Capilla de la Corticela has a basket to receive them.

Don't forget the Cruz de Ferro - countless prayers and requests and votive stones from home left there, with a heartfelt prayer.
Leaving a stone at the Cruz de Ferro is the traditional way. I know that people who leave photos or written material are well-intentioned, but such remembrances can become quite distracting when they begin to dominate the experience of others (see attached photo). It's much better to leave those at one of the many chapels which have repositories for prayer requests, etc. We took a small bag of smooth pebbles on which we had written the names of those we were praying for along the way, then said a final prayer for each at the base of the Cruz de Ferro and left them at the foot of the cross. BTW, that's just a random pilgrim in the photo.

IMG_1528r.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Leaving a stone at the Cruz de Ferro is the traditional way. I know that people who leave photos or written material are well-intentioned, but such remembrances can become quite distracting when they begin to dominate the experience of others (see attached photo). It's much better to leave those at one of the many chapels which have repositories for prayer requests, etc. We took a small bag of smooth pebbles on which we had written the names of those we were praying for along the way, then said a final prayer for each at the base of the Cruz de Ferro and left them at the foot of the cross. BTW, that's just a random pilgrim in the photo.

View attachment 69911

Well, that is a point of view .. for me the Cruz de Ferro is rather wonderful and it concerns me not that the local council come and bulldozer excess away each year .. what happens there, for each pilgrim, happens in the heart .... don't you think?

Well, that is a point of view .. for me the Cruz de Ferro is rather wonderful and it concerns me not that the local council come and bulldozer excess away each year .. what happens there, for each pilgrim, happens in the heart .... don't you think?
Certainly, David, and I understand that a passing pilgrim sincerely wants to leave a prayer intention or remembrance of a loved one at a meaningful place like the Cruz de Ferro. It was my intent to just reinforce the earlier suggestions that it may be better in the long run to leave such articles at a dedicated chapel or other repository where it will be handled in a more suitable manner, since as you suggest, those items will be periodically stripped from the wooden pole and probably placed in a garbage bin somewhere.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
SCwalker, That is a wonderful thing you're doing. I too am carrying a “laundry list” of people and their pray requests/intentions for whom I will pray along the way and at every Mass. I recently lost my dear wife and I will be leaving memorial cards with her photo at roadside shrines, chapels and at the Cruz de Ferro.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 6
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
SCwalker, That is a wonderful thing you're doing. I too am carrying a “laundry list” of people and their pray requests/intentions for whom I will pray along the way and at every Mass. I recently lost my dear wife and I will be leaving memorial cards with her photo at roadside shrines, chapels and at the Cruz de Ferro.
Dear Michael,
I’m so sorry for your loss! I walked for my mom and my friend Nancy they died of blood and lung cancer. I carried them with me along the way. They got me through the rough spots and the time let me mourn the loss. I hope the Camino is as healing for you!

Both caminos that I've walked included praying for the intentions of my parishioners...I had hundreds of requests for prayer, which I lifted up at every shrine, chapel or church along the way. I would stop, take off my pack and pray my way through 3 to 6 of them, depending on how long they were and how tired I was. I managed to get through the list in a prayerful spirit about 5 times in 6 weeks. It was such a rich experience, keeping me rooted in the sufferings and longings of the world. I didn't leave the list anywhere, as I kept it electronically on my phone. Instead, I left the prayers, spoken, at holy places all along the way.

Both caminos that I've walked included praying for the intentions of my parishioners...I had hundreds of requests for prayer, which I lifted up at every shrine, chapel or church along the way. I would stop, take off my pack and pray my way through 3 to 6 of them, depending on how long they were and how tired I was. I managed to get through the list in a prayerful spirit about 5 times in 6 weeks. It was such a rich experience, keeping me rooted in the sufferings and longings of the world. I didn't leave the list anywhere, as I kept it electronically on my phone. Instead, I left the prayers, spoken, at holy places all along the way.
I intend to do the same

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de PerdĂłn has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back