• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Special Places

colinPeter

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP-SDC (2009) Somport-Jaca, Burgos-SDC, Cee-Muxia (2012) Le Puy - Aumont-Aubrac (2014) SJPP-SDC (Oct 2015)
Hola!

Br. David said:
... there are a few places where the route splits and you make a choice, also there are some rather special places that are a little off route and worth a detour ...

Br. David's comment in the "Maps & Guides" thread, about off route or split choice "special places", makes me wonder, which ones others found the most interesting to take.

Is there a thread elsewhere that looks at this for the Camino Frances? (Couldn't find with search)

What have others found to be their off route "special places" or best options for split choice routes?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
hola,
A couple of special places off the camino:
From Najera to Santo Domingo-detour via San Millan de La C.ogolla, Visit the famous monasteries of Suso and Yuso, situated in a beautiful valley then take the road via Canas to Santo domingo.
Take a day off in Ponferrada and visit Santiago de Penalba, 19km south of Ponferrada. An ancient village situated in a narow valley surrounded on all sides by mountains. - well worth it.If you are there on the right day you can visit the small church with horsehoe arches at the entrance (mozarabic style)
all the best
Peterbc

It's not a detour, but an unusual site nonetheless.

In Tosantos we had the opportunity to visit the Ermita de la Virgen de la Peña. It is about 1 km from the village and is a hermitage and a chapel carved into the side of the cliffs dating from the 12th century. Generally it is locked, but the hospitalero at the albergue parroquial de San Francisco asked the lady with the keys to open it for us. We had a lovely visit. It overlooks the Camino and it's striking, white facade can been seen from the Camino if you look back over your right shoulder as you leave Tosantos. It was a very special place.

Buen Camino,

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Take a bus to Santo Domingo de Silos from Burgos to see the singing monks and cloisters. Unfortunately it takes two nights in Santo Domingo de Silos to do both. For just the monks, one night will do. Stay in the first hostal on the left; the hospitality is great.

Take the easy walk to Vilar de Donas a couple of kilometers from the bar/albergue at Portos before Palas de Rei. There is a sign at the intersection.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Santiago de Peñalba is an EXCEPTIONAL PLACE, only I do not know if there is a bus to get you there.
ALTERNATIVELY, as you come down Acebo, there may be a path across the mountains via Compludo. That would be a detour, but the following day you should be able to make it to Ponferrada no problem.

An easier one is, Monasterio de Carracedo in Cacabelos, just 4 km off the way or so, beautiful place

Enjoy!

I have been preparing a new blog post on detours along the camino frances so this thread is very useful! Pity we can only spend 90 days on a Schengen Visa!!

No Schengen Visa is required for citizens of the U.S., but visits to the Schengen countries is limited to 90 days in each year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Amancio,
I believe there is a route from Compludo to Santiago de Penalba. It was my intention to take this route but time and a very sore ankle prevented me. I'm not sure about a bus to Penalba. I had a forced stop over in Ponferrada and got a taxi out (30E) Well worth it - truely an erie but beautiful place. The Compludo route would be superb maybe next time.

Hello

I really enjoyed Vilar de Donas but when we went there was someone there who told us much about it that we wouldn't have known and that increased our knowledge and enjoyment. As I remember she was there and the church opened at 11 AM last year. I am not sure about getting in before then and I don't know how or where you would find out that information.

john

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Santiago de Peñalba is special, very nice.
Compludo too, and with a very interesting "herreria medieval" and an interesting church. It's possible to visit both.

There's a route walking from Riego de Ambros (turning left) thast goes to Compludo and, from there, to Ponferrada by the whole Valle del Silencio. It takes an extra day and as far as I know, there's no albergues. Some yellow arrows, but not enough. And incredibly nice. Some years ago I had something like a "guide" about but I'm afraid I've lost it.

Try it, and Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It´s hard to get to, but that´s on purpose: San Miguel de Escalada, a true jewel of the Camino, is a day´s walk out of Mansilla de las Mulas -- or a 20 Euro cab ride.

This is a Mozarabic church, all that is left of a 9th-century monastic community of refugees from Granada who came north to escape the waves of Muslim invasion down there. They built a serene and beautiful golden stone structure way, way out in the middle of nothing. It was restored a while back, and the place is (usually) attended during the warm months, so you can go inside and see how the light comes through the tiny alabaster windows, and how the Mozarabic Rite dictated the Mass ritual be screened-off from the rabble in the apse. One of Spain´s medieval illustrated masterpieces, The Beatus of San Miguel de Escalada, was created here... it´s a bizarre, beautiful, colorful document that testifies to the wackiness of the Book of Revelation and what happens when monks spend way too much time in isolation.

The place is spooky and wonderful, especially if you give it some time. A lot like Eunate.

I would like to second Rebekah's recommendation of San Miguel de la Escalada. I was lucky enough to visit the church, and Rebekah drove me there! Not only did she and Paddy pick me up in Leon and take me to the church, they also brought along a thick illustrated volume of the Beatus. It is a very beautiful place, and I am very thankful to Rebekah for taking me to visit it. Laurie

falcon269 said:
Take a bus to Santo Domingo de Silos from Burgos to see the singing monks and cloisters. Unfortunately it takes two nights in Santo Domingo de Silos to do both. For just the monks, one night will do. Stay in the first hostal on the left; the hospitality is great.

I have been trying to get the bus schedule from Burgos to Santo Domingo de Silos. I can find some references in several places but they are counterdictive and I am confused. We would like to plan a side trip...but sure need to know the one a day bus times so we can plan around it.

Anyone have the schedule?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi grayland,

no-one has answered your post yet - I haven´t checked any schedules right now, but year 2006 when I took a trip from Burgos to Santo Domingo, the bus left at 17.30 monday-thursday and 18.30 on fridays. On Sunday there was no buses back to Burgos (I don´t know about burgos-SDdS). I guess this doesn´t help you much as the schedules may have changed... but I highly recommend a visit to that place! Maybe you can stop in the estacion de autobuses when you reach Burgos, and stay in Burgos one night if the bus of the day has already gone?

Re: Special Places - Santo Domingo de Silos

The bus line to SD de Silos is on page 5 of this listing from 2008:

http://www.turismoburgos.org/fileadmin/ ... _oct08.pdf

Call the bus company for the return bus - Autobuses Arceredillo S.L. 947485266 - but I remember it being about 0730 (most days).

A lot of other questions on buses from Burgos can be answered by this schedule.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.