• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Special preparation for solo camino

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Recently I mentioned another family asked us to do a camino with them. They have pulled out, but the original suggestion was enough to spur me on to make plans (admittedly it doesn’t take much)...and I had tacked on a solo camino for myself before the family ones.
Today, this auspicious final day of 2017, marks two important developments towards making it a reality.
1) I revealed The Plan to The Boss
2) I will spend my first night EVER in my whole life (nearly half a century) ALONE in a house. May the next time that happens be at Tres Cantos!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
a solo camino for myself
Welcome to the entirely different world of the solo walker. It's a good skill to develop at this stage of life, this ability to be comfortable in one's own skin without distraction; this ability to focus on one's own need for meditation and self-reflection without the necessity of constant caregiving; and the peace and stillness that comes from hours of quiet.

I wish you a good rest!

I wouldn't worry too much. Unless you are going in an odd time of the year or taking a route that few take you probably won't be solo for long. When I walked the Frances (solo) in 2015, probably 50% of the time I was walking with somebody. You can choose to walk alone or choose to have company (whatever suits your mood that day). I always found that on the bad days (very hot, very cold, or very rainy) walking with someone made the time go faster. Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@John Sikora I’m hoping for a Very Quiet Camino De Madrid before joining family members on the San Salvador and Primitivo.
@Kitsambler as much as I dislike labeling people I must admit the label “introvert” does stick - my favourite days are the rare ones I get by myself. I’m expecting to love a solo camino.

You are an accomplished Walker. Solo walking is rarely "real solo walking" in the Camino as there are so many others on the same path. But you know this.

Enjoy...true solitude is precious.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wow, first time alone at home in nearly fifty years: Goodness.
It’s called living at home until twenty, then getting married and never spending a night away from home without taking husband or babies or children....and before you know it yoy’re nearly fifty years old and you’ve never spent a night alone!
Additionally I’ve never mowed a lawn in my life and don’t intend to start!

Recently I mentioned another family asked us to do a camino with them. They have pulled out, but the original suggestion was enough to spur me on to make plans (admittedly it doesn’t take much)...and I had tacked on a solo camino for myself before the family ones.
Today, this auspicious final day of 2017, marks two important developments towards making it a reality.
1) I revealed The Plan to The Boss
2) I will spend my first night EVER in my whole life (nearly half a century) ALONE in a house. May the next time that happens be at Tres Cantos!
I am so excited for you!!!!
From another mom of many who has had the fortune to do alone Caminos and a very long one with kids I can assure you you are in for a real treat!!!! It was wonderful for the kids to watch their mom do this for herself. Congrats mama!!!

Hi- I'm walking solo as well since every friend who was interested has since backed out. Even though I am a Grade A extrovert, I'm really looking forward to walking the camino by myself and (meeting new people, of course). This is my first time and I will turn 46 during the journey -- trying to time it so I can spend my birthday taking an extra day or two in one of the cities to check out heritage sites and drink wine (shooting for Ponferrada). Leaving SJPP April 5. Have fun, Kiwi!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back