• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Specific items?

Rebecky

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2023
I am grateful how people will often remind us that Spain is not a third world country and almost everything we need would be available on the Camino. I hope I'm not overburdening the forum, but I did want to ask about some specific items. Can anyone confirm whether or not I would likely be able to buy
A: a Victorinox- miniature Swiss army knife with toothpick and tweezers? In SJPP?
B) Castile soap, like Kirk's or Dr Bronner's (I know - you have to imagine that the Castile region of Spain would have Castile soap).
C) Peanut butter
D) and I think someone said hummus may be available in larger towns..?
Muchas gracias in advance to those of you who have knowledge about this.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Although I can’t speak to the Victorinox, My favorite knife on and off the Camino is the French made Opinel. That knife you can definitely buy in SJPP. As you mentioned a miniature Swiss Army knife, the Opinel come in a variety of sizes. Although the No.8 is probably the most common, the No. 6 would be an excellent choice in a smaller format.

CC5B903B-491D-4E61-958D-E7DD548068C7.jpeg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Spain is a very civilized country. You mightn't find the exact things you're looking for in SJPDP (or in a Spanish town after day one), but you'll find what you need. Try to adapt and make do if your exact requirements aren't met. This is something most of us find ourselves doing when we walk..

To expand: la Boutique du Pelerin in St Jean definitely stocks Victorinox. Email them in advance and they’ll obtain a specific for you.
Castile soap usually comes in blocks but you’ll find wet soap of most inclinations in Decathlons and other “outdoor” stores scattered the length of the Frances. Peanut butter: El Corte Ingles stores definitely, most supermarkets. Hummus? You are in garbanzo land. The Spanish do things with chickpeas that you have never imagined. Again most supermarkets stock garbanzos mashed up with oil and water and a pinch of salt and sell it at a premium. Some of it is reasonably edible on a hungry day. High quality pre-cooked chickpeas are readily available, as is garlic, oil and salt. And tahini….

Buen Camino

ps: I like to have a corkscrew on my swarmy knife ( just for emergencies)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Although I can’t speak to the Victorinox, My favorite knife on and off the Camino is the French made Opinel. That knife you can definitely buy in SJPP. As you mentioned a miniature Swiss Army knife, the Opinel come in a variety of sizes. Although the No.8 is probably the most common, the No. 6 would be an excellent choice in a smaller format.

View attachment 147715
Great, thanks so much for the suggestion and screenshot- much appreciated

To expand: la Boutique du Pelerin in St Jean definitely stocks Victorinox. Email them in advance and they’ll obtain a specific for you.
Castile soap usually comes in blocks but you’ll find wet soap of most inclinations in Decathlons and other “outdoor” stores scattered the length of the Frances. Peanut butter: El Corte Ingles stores definitely, most supermarkets. Hummus? You are in garbanzo land. The Spanish do things with chickpeas that you have never imagined. Again most supermarkets stock garbanzos mashed up with oil and water and a pinch of salt and sell it at a premium. Some of it is reasonably edible on a hungry day. High quality pre-cooked chickpeas are readily available, as is garlic, oil and salt. And tahini….

Buen Camino

ps: I like to have a corkscrew on my swarmy knife ( just for emergencies)
Ah, perfect! I'll order the knife and consider making my own hummus! ¡Muchas gracias!

a Victorinox- miniature Swiss army knife with toothpick and tweezers? In SJPP?
If you can make it to Pamplona, go to the Caminoteca store. They sell very inexpensive knifes that are like knock offs of Swiss Army. They work just fine and have just about, if not all the features you would be looking for.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Being a peanut butter addict, I was disappointed to find the peanut butter in Spain, that I checked, had many ingredients, most of which were not healthy. I found no peanut butter that had only peanuts; consequently, I learned to live without this staple on the Camino. Just a word of warning...

Just re the Dr Bronners castile soap, i too use it as my basic body and clothes washing soap. On occasion I've lost or used up the bar I've brought with me. I don't recall ever seeing the brand in health food/life stores (only in the bigger towns/cities), but i have always been able to find an equivalent product in those types of shops.

I am grateful how people will often remind us that Spain is not a third world country and almost everything we need would be available on the Camino. I hope I'm not overburdening the forum, but I did want to ask about some specific items. Can anyone confirm whether or not I would likely be able to buy
A: a Victorinox- miniature Swiss army knife with toothpick and tweezers? In SJPP?
B) Castile soap, like Kirk's or Dr Bronner's (I know - you have to imagine that the Castile region of Spain would have Castile soap).
C) Peanut butter
I bought the knife you mentioned above in an outdoor store in SJPP in 2016. The outdoor store had great extended hours, early morning and late in the evening.

I asked about peanut butter in a grocery store and they said they do not have peanut butter in Spain but there was Nutella. I never did see it in the grocery stores. Not sure if anyone else found it

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you can make it to Pamplona, go to the Caminoteca store. They sell very inexpensive knifes that are like knock offs of Swiss Army. They work just fine and have just about, if not all the features you would be looking for.
I just stopped into this store and bought such a knife for 6.20. Blades are hard to open, will need a little oil. No tweezers or toothpick, but useful.

C) Peanut butter
I love peanut butter, but have never seen it in Spain. Other posts say it’s available. You can buy a lot of things, but I found that most of USA brands are rare, outfitter stores likely to be closed when you arrive or you need to get to a very large city…. And then the store is closed when you arrive, but you will survive.

Just re the Dr Bronners castile soap, i too use it as my basic body and clothes washing soap. On occasion I've lost or used up the bar I've brought with me. I don't recall ever seeing the brand in health food/life stores (only in the bigger towns/cities), but i have always been able to find an equivalent product in those types of shops.
Lidl has there own brand they sell in the states, I expect in Europe too. Lots of locations. But hopefully they offer a smaller size in Spain.
1685042603591.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Lidl has there own brand they sell in the states, I expect in Europe too. Lots of locations. But hopefully they offer a smaller size in Spain.
View attachment 147808
I've certainly never seen it in a Lidl in Ireland but perhaps they stock it in Spain. I do think that the stock that Lidl or Aldi carry varies by the local market/country.

I just stopped into this store and bought such a knife for 6.20. Blades are hard to open, will need a little oil. No tweezers or toothpick, but useful.
Yes they are a little hard to open as I remember but not too bad. I remembered it didn't have all the little goodies of the Swiss Army Knife but very useful.

C) Peanut butter
I bought a swiss army knife with everything across from the pilgrim's office, can't miss the shop. Peanut butter very hard to find but hummus has been in all the bigger groceries as well as guacamole. I have not seen Castile soap but I haven't looked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good to know that peanut butter may not be readily available. I rely on it as an easy gluten free snack (try it on apple slices). Hoping now that the Camino will provide.

You can usually buy peanuts or other nuts if not peanut butter. I have made peanut butter from peanuts with an immersion blender for recipes as a hospitalera. Also made hummus for vegan and vegetarian pilgrims.

A) Perhaps not the "brand" you want - but you should have no problem finding one
B) Probably - but if not - similar items
C) Less likely - peanut butter is less popular in Europe
D) I saw hummus in all of the chain supermarkets - so go to the bigger supermarkets in the bigger towns/cities if you are having trouble finding in the small markets.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I love peanut butter, but have never seen it in Spain. Other posts say it’s available. You can buy a lot of things, but I found that most of USA brands are rare, outfitter stores likely to be closed when you arrive or you need to get to a very large city…. And then the store is closed when you arrive, but you will survive.
When I lived in Madrid, you could get peanut butter in larger grocery stores, but it was found in the section with kids’ snack foods.

I love natural chunky peanut butter at home and use it on toast, apple slices, and add it to banana smoothies as the flavors compliment one another.
I have never noticed it in Spain's supermarkets, but did not think to seek it out for using on their breads...maybe next time.🙂

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ah, Peanut Butter! In the States Jiff makes a peanut butter in a collapsible pouch. If you are checking your pack perhaps you could look for something like this (and take your knife). However, the starting weight is 16 oz. Something to be considered.

I always allow 7 lbs for daily food, water, and edibles in my pack. This includes 1.5 ltr of water, granola or granola bars, dried fruit, peanut butter, candies, and gum already in my pack, and the daily fresh groceries like a sandwich, fruit, cheese, etc that I may buy along the way. It can add up fast.

@GABirdGirl: powdered PB? 🤯 Your post has opened a whole new universe of possibility for me! 😂

Like you, @freyam I am also gluten free and often do PB + apple slices. I found these 1.15oz PB packets locally and because I was able to slim down my toiletries for the Camino, am planning on stuffing some of these in my quart size bag to carry on the plane.

IMG_1493.jpeg

That looks like a good option compared to the Jiff I mentioned. It is .3 oz per serving lighter and packaged in individual servings. (Same protein) Perhaps a bit more expensive, but if someone only wants a few packs rather than a 16 oz container it makes sense. 👍 Great find!

Edit: Wow, Yes, it is Organic but 5x more expensive than the Jiff! US Carry on size limit is 100ml or 3.4 oz so the pouch will make it (TSA quart bag limit of liquids in States would limit quantity). Not sure if all other countries have the same limit. If checking pack either works and one could always reduce the quantity in the Jiff pouch before departure if all 16 oz is not needed.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good to know that peanut butter may not be readily available. I rely on it as an easy gluten free snack (try it on apple slices). Hoping now that the Camino will provide.
Great selection of Gluten Free foods in the supermarkets. Well signed.

C) Peanut butter
Hi @Rebecky.
I saw peanut butter today in Pamplona at a small fruit and grocery stand on the Camino. Posting a photo of the front.
20230530_164008.jpg
C. Mercaderes, 12, 31001 Pamplona, Navarra, Spain

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In a supermarket in the Basque Country today I found two different brands of whole, natural peanut butter with no additives. Perhaps tomorrow I will even remember the name of the supermarket.

It's been a long day.

In a supermarket in the Basque Country today I found two different brands of whole, natural peanut butter with no additives. Perhaps tomorrow I will even remember the name of the supermarket.

It's been a long day.
Ha, ha - thank you! I suspect that if and when I find PB, I'll just count it as a bonus to my day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Being a peanut butter addict, I was disappointed to find the peanut butter in Spain, that I checked, had many ingredients, most of which were not healthy. I found no peanut butter that had only peanuts; consequently, I learned to live without this staple on the Camino. Just a word of warning...
Ahh.... thanks for the heads up. A good thing to remember - sometimes we get what we think we wanted, only to find out that it's really not what we wanted after all. Thanks for the wisdom for the road...

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back