Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Specific questions for Invierno 2017 forum guide

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am starting to comb carefully through the information I have culled from pilgrims who walked the Invierno in 2016. This thread will be the place I post questions about the comments, trying to make sure that I understand everything and that the new version will be as complete and up to date as possible. Since there is still no word on the English version of Asún's guide, I think a 2017 version of this forum guide is a good idea.

Question 1.
ANSWERED -- thanks, Charrito

Question 2.
ANSWERED -- Thanks Charrito

Question 3.
Answered -- thanks chinasky.

Question 4.
ANSWERED -- Thanks chinasky.

That's all for now, but I've only read gollygolly's posts so far. Thanks everyone, Laurie

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Having now read MJB's comments, here are a few more questions, for him or for anyone!

Question 5.
Ascent to the castle at Cornatel. Answered, thanks Charrito and all Invierno fans.

Question 6.
Leaving Puente de Domingo Flórez. ANSWERED, thanks, K1 and Charrito

Question 7.
MCB reports that the repairs to the Episcopal Palace attached to the church at Diomondi are FINALLY done!!! Is the palace now open for visits?

I'm making lots of additions and a few changes, so thanks to everyone who is helping with this. I'm getting ready to plunge into sabbott's many excellent and detailed comments about walking directions, so I will definitely be back with a lot more questions! Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
Question 7.
MCB reports that the repairs to the Episcopal Palace attached to the church at Diomondi are FINALLY done!!! Is the palace now open for visits?

when I walked past here in early November, there was no evidence of scaffolding, but neither was there any evidence of things being open, but then it was fairly late n the afternoon.
a note on the steep descent from here down to the Rio Mino in late autumn - chestnuts litter the ground presenting a bit of an obstacle, which, combined with all the shade (subsequent dampness on the rocks) means that careful footwork is required.

Question 3.
Several people have noted that the road construction after Leboro (before Rodeiro) continues. The camino no longer goes through the hamlet of Leboro after the Pazo de Camba, even though there are two bars there.

I detoured to the Ermita on Monte Faro, but then managed to get lost! Thus I didn't even see these places you mention. I followed the directions in the guide, but it didn't feel right - I felt I was heading in the wrong direction, and I wasn't prepared to go downhill if there was a chance I would have to retrace my steps back up hill! Instead I used google maps and followed my own path into Rodeiro, coming out at the Hostal at the top of the hill (the guide brought us in at the bottom of the hill I think). I suspect I went a more direct way, just along farm tracks etc..

The dogs were particularly bad (ranging free and no owners to call them back!) after leaving A Pobra, and nearly as bad after Montefurado though owners were near by there to control them. Each time a master was around I would stop and wait for them (the dogs) to be brought under control, and then as I walked past the owner I would thank them, just to let them know it was appreciated (and hopefully reinforce a culture of keeping them "in line" for the pilgrims to come).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I detoured to the Ermita on Monte Faro, but then managed to get lost! Thus I didn't even see these places you mention. I followed the directions in the guide, but it didn't feel right - I felt I was heading in the wrong direction, and I wasn't prepared to go downhill if there was a chance I would have to retrace my steps back up hill! Instead I used google maps and followed my own path into Rodeiro, coming out at the Hostal at the top of the hill (the guide brought us in at the bottom of the hill I think). I suspect I went a more direct way, just along farm tracks etc..

Thanks, Jill -- just a quick question about your getting lost at the Ermita. What I remember is that if you have the Ermita at your back, turn right and you will see a standing crucifix, go down and you come to the picnic area. And then you're back on camino. Do you have any memories of where went from the ermita? Maybe I could make that part clearer somehow.

Question 4.
I don't know the past, but I know the actual hospitalera, Pilar, and she's a lovely woman. I've been in Outeiro last june and the option to eat here with something prepared by her is no more available. You can use the kitchen if you bring something with you or you can walk 1.5 km to the first restaurant in the closest town.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Question 2. http://www.paxinasgalegas.es/torre-vilariño-156600em.html#gmodal

If you open the link and click on the map you can see the exact location. Lovely lovely place, and great food.

They claim that it's open every day, apart from Wednesdays (their rest day), although if a Wednesday coincides with a holiday they open. The also say that it's open every day in high season; that would generally be between mid-June and mid-September. The phone's there to check.

Question 4.
I don't know the past, but I know the actual hospitalera, Pilar, and she's a lovely woman. I've been in Outeiro last june and the option to eat here with something prepared by her is no more available. You can use the kitchen if you bring something with you or you can walk 1.5 km to the first restaurant in the closest town.

Oh, thanks, chinasky, It sounds like it's the same hospitalera, but that someone has made her remove her kitchen. Interesting, probably a local political issue. Not much longer for your departure, I see. BTW, tell me your exact departure date, and I'll be happy to send you a very preliminary draft of the 2017 guide. I'm currently in the midst of changes as you can see, but would be happy to send you the latest version right before you leave.

Question 6.

I posted this last year:

After the long slog down to Puente de Domingo Flórez, I found the churrería open in the little square. No stamp, open before 09.00. It makes no sense to send you over the river and miss the town. Turn right before you get to the bottom snd you'll see Café Bar Los Arcos before the square.

Bar El Cruce open, as usual. Pilgrim-friendly and lovely sello. There's a cafetería, Thais, just off the access road to Quereño.

A big new sign at the top of the hill, before the town, sends you off to the Hostal La Torre. It would save a couple of kms, but you'd miss the town.

To answer your question, Laurie:

If you've stopped for the night in the Hostal La Torre, you don't need to walk towards the town, but just head behind the hostal and you are on the Calle Acceso Quereño.

If you haven't stopped, walk from Bar el Cruce up the Avenida de Orense, past a couple of small supermarkets and a chemist's on your left (with the Banco Pastor on the other side) and then keep left along Calle Chao do Marco. This takes you along for a few hundred yards (and there is, indeed, a supermarket down there, but I don't seem to recall it being Día), before you hang left onto Calle Acceso Quereño.

Over the bridge and you're in Galicia.

It's all well signposted, but even more so when you're in Galicia.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Question 8 --
Answered, thanks Charrito

Question 9 --
Question answered, thanks Charrito and K1.

Question 10
Pensión in A Rúa. Charrito, I see you said the Casa de Huespedes Sparta has rooms for 27 and charges 10-12 € -- just wanted to check on that room price! Really, 10-12 €???

Question 11
In Monforte de Lemos. Question answered, thanks Charrito.

Question 12
Barxa do Lor. Casa Pacita gets rave reviews this year. Any info on price at Casa Pacita?

Question 13
Alto do Faro. Sabbott reports getting lost from the ermita, which is a slight detour off camino. My directions are pretty straightforward so maybe I messed something up. Here's what I say:
Soon you will be at the high point, a huge field with its ermita, lookout tower, and cruceiro. To rejoin the Camino, go to the cruceiro (decorated standing crucifix), and the arrows will take you back to the Camino and past the picnic area.

That's it for now. I have some messy questions about the area before Cornatel Castle/Borrenes, and also a few about the exit from Lalín, which I think I will post in their own separate threads so I won't get too confused!

Last edited:
Question 6.

I posted this last year:

After the long slog down to Puente de Domingo Flórez, I found the churrería open in the little square. No stamp, open before 09.00. It makes no sense to send you over the river and miss the town. Turn right before you get to the bottom snd you'll see Café Bar Los Arcos before the square.

Bar El Cruce open, as usual. Pilgrim-friendly and lovely sello. There's a cafetería, Thais, just off the access road to Quereño.

A big new sign at the top of the hill, before the town, sends you off to the Hostal La Torre. It would save a couple of kms, but you'd miss the town.

To answer your question, Laurie:

If you've stopped for the night in the Hostal La Torre, you don't need to walk towards the town, but just head behind the hostal and you are on the Calle Acceso Quereño.

If you haven't stopped, walk from Bar el Cruce up the Avenida de Orense, past a couple of small supermarkets and a chemist's on your left (with the Banco Pastor on the other side) and then keep left along Calle Chao do Marco. This takes you along for a few hundred yards (and there is, indeed, a supermarket down there, but I don't seem to recall it being Día), before you hang left onto Calle Acceso Quereño.

Over the bridge and you're in Galicia.

It's all well signposted, but even more so when you're in Galicia.

Hi, Charrito,
I had marked your comments on Puente de Domingo Floréz, and was trying to figure out how to incorporate them into what I wrote. I hadn't quite figured that out. I think you are saying that the camino, which takes you to the bridge, does a detour around the main part of town and that makes no sense. But I don't know how to incorporate your comments about Bar el Cruce, etc. This is all very fuzzy to me, help appreciated!

Question 8. From Puente de Domingo Flórez to Pumares, the guide describes the upside down U loop after you cross the bridge. I also describe how, shortly after that loop, there is frequently a chained German shephard barking right at the spot where you have to make a counter-intuitive sharp turn to ascend to get to the RR tracks that go along the Sil River. I don't understand where to put sabbot's (I think) comment, which was: Before you get to PUmares, you pass under a railroad arch. There are three trails and no marking -- pick the middle one thats up a steep path. I'm assuming it goes somewhere around page 11 of the 2016 guide but I can't place it.

Cross the bridge, pass the electricity pylons on your left, go under the railway bridge and you'll come to three roads.

The left one goes downhill: don't take it.

The right one has signs for Sobredo, the Casa de Cultura, Estación Renfe and the Polideportivo: don't take it.

The middle one is the one you want; there's a big yellow arrow on the rock face! It takes you up through the village, then you have a pretty sharp ascent to the top (a couple of great viewing points with benches up there), before dropping you back down to the railway tracks by the river.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As you come into Puente de Domingo Flórez, for some strange reason the signs point you down to the river, which you skirt, before ending up at the Bar El Cruce.

Three quarters of the way down into the town turn right along Calle el Toral (Café Los Arcos on your right). This brings you out into the plaza where they hold the small Saturday market (great churrería there); if you keep walking you come out by the Bar el Cruce.

Question 8. From Puente de Domingo Flórez to Pumares, the guide describes the upside down U loop after you cross the bridge. I also describe how, shortly after that loop, there is frequently a chained German shephard barking right at the spot where you have to make a counter-intuitive sharp turn to ascend to get to the RR tracks that go along the Sil River. I don't understand where to put sabbot's (I think) comment, which was: Before you get to PUmares, you pass under a railroad arch. There are three trails and no marking -- pick the middle one thats up a steep path. I'm assuming it goes somewhere around page 11 of the 2016 guide but I can't place it.

Cross the bridge, pass the electricity pylons on your left, go under the railway bridge and you'll come to three roads.

The left one goes downhill: don't take it.

The right one has signs for Sobredo, the Casa de Cultura, Estación Renfe and the Polideportivo: don't take it.

The middle one is the one you want; there's a big yellow arrow on the rock face! It takes you up through the village, then you have a pretty sharp ascent to the top (a couple of great viewing points with benches up there), before dropping you back down to the railway tracks by the river.

So, Charrito, thanks so much, extremely helpful. I've tried to combine the guide with your comments. Italics is the guide, the regular print is your addition. Does this sound right:

After crossing the bridge, the Camino makes a big looping upside down U. Pass the electricity pylons on your left, go under the railway bridge and you'll come to three roads. and you then will make a relatively sharp right to go up a hill to cross the tracks. QUESTION -- IS THE RELATIVELY SHARP RIGHT TURN WITH THE BARKING DOG THE SAME SPOT YOU DESCRIBE AS HAVING THREE OPTIONS? THAT SEEMS WRONG TO ME, SINCE THE SHARP RIGHT CANNOT BE THE TURN IN THE MIDDLE, RIGHT? Right at the turn, there is frequently a loud barking dog (on a chain that takes him to the very edge of the owner’s property) and if you are startled, you may continue straight rather than take the required right turn. (Look closely as you ascend after the turn -- you should see what were faded arrows in summer 2015). You will then weave around a bit, until you eventually cross over the RR tracks (thus putting you between the tracks and the river), only to cross back over them about a km later.

I confess I am hopelessly confused, because when you say that after the middle road takes you up through the village, I don't even remember going through a village after going up that path. Are we possibly talking about two alternatives? I distinctly remember that the first time I walked the Invierno, I went through an old part of a village after crossing the bridge, but the second time I didn't.

Question 10. Pensión in A Rúa. Charrito, I see you said the Casa de Huespedes Sparta has rooms for 27 and charges 10-12 € -- just wanted to check on that room price! Really, 10-12 €???

I stopped in here deliberately on my way back to A Rúa from the medieval fair in Petín. I asked about prices, and that's what he told me. It's on the main street out of town, on the left, opposite another, three-star, hostal (Fabio). The sign on the outside says 'Oeste', but he assured me that it's known as 'Sparta'. It's on booking.com.

Great pinchos and wine, by the way!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So, Charrito, thanks so much, extremely helpful. I've tried to combine the guide with your comments. Italics is the guide, the regular print is your addition. Does this sound right:

After crossing the bridge, the Camino makes a big looping upside down U. Pass the electricity pylons on your left, go under the railway bridge and you'll come to three roads. and you then will make a relatively sharp right to go up a hill to cross the tracks. QUESTION -- IS THE RELATIVELY SHARP RIGHT TURN WITH THE BARKING DOG THE SAME SPOT YOU DESCRIBE AS HAVING THREE OPTIONS? THAT SEEMS WRONG TO ME, SINCE THE SHARP RIGHT CANNOT BE THE TURN IN THE MIDDLE, RIGHT? Right at the turn, there is frequently a loud barking dog (on a chain that takes him to the very edge of the owner’s property) and if you are startled, you may continue straight rather than take the required right turn. (Look closely as you ascend after the turn -- you should see what were faded arrows in summer 2015). You will then weave around a bit, until you eventually cross over the RR tracks (thus putting you between the tracks and the river), only to cross back over them about a km later.

I confess I am hopelessly confused, because when you say that after the middle road takes you up through the village, I don't even remember going through a village after going up that path. Are we possibly talking about two alternatives? I distinctly remember that the first time I walked the Invierno, I went through an old part of a village after crossing the bridge, but the second time I didn't.

You definitely walk up (the middle road) through a very small district of Quereño, with a few houses and not a lot happening. This dog is after you've got past the houses, before the sharpish ascent up to the 'vista panorámica' at the top.

Question 11. In Montefurado. Charrito, you mentioned the wine tour. I think this must be in the tourist office/wine center to the right of the convent across the grassy field? You wrote that you took a guided tour at 18.30, with tasting included for 2.5€. Do you know any more about their hours, etc?

You mean Monforte de Lemos, NOT Montefurado! The wine tour is right in the centre. Here's a link:

http://www.centrovino-ribeirasacra.com/en/contenido.asp?sec=1&id=3

There are guided tours at different times during the day, and one of the girls does speak English. I was on my own for the 18.30 tour, which meant that there was more wine for me at the tasting afterwards, which is in the Ribeira Sacra shop next door! And yes: 2.5 euros is what it cost.

Question 12. Barxa do Lor. Casa Pacita gets rave reviews this year. I had erroneously reported that it was 2 km off camino. Turns out it's much less than that. But my reports are conflicting -- 400 m or "a few steps." Which do you think is more accurate. Also, any info on price at Casa Pacita?

It's more than 'a few steps'! I would say that it's around 400 metres, but it's a lovely walk along the river bank. When you get there you would be well advised to make the slight detour and have some refreshment. It's the first place you'll have seen since Quiroga, except for the fountain up the top, and you then have a steep climb towards A Pobra.

No idea about room prices. Sabbott would know, as she stayed there for a couple of nights. I only stopped for a nice cold beer or two!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Question 11. In Montefurado. Charrito, you mentioned the wine tour. I think this must be in the tourist office/wine center to the right of the convent across the grassy field? You wrote that you took a guided tour at 18.30, with tasting included for 2.5€. Do you know any more about their hours, etc?

You mean Monforte de Lemos, NOT Montefurado! The wine tour is right in the centre. Here's a link:

http://www.centrovino-ribeirasacra.com/en/contenido.asp?sec=1&id=3

There are guided tours at different times during the day, and one of the girls does speak English. I was on my own for the 18.30 tour, which meant that there was more wine for me at the tasting afterwards, which is in the Ribeira Sacra shop next door! And yes: 2.5 euros is what it cost.

Oops, I am getting fuzzy, time to stop working on this for a while. Yes it would be quite astonishing to find a wine museum in Montefurado. :p Thanks for that clarification, I'll add the link.

Question 9 --
Leaving Montefurado. Sabbot writes: Also, there is different way marking than Laurie describes -- now there are arrows that go to Venda Villa up a grassy path, that will take you off-road.

Here's what the guide currently says about leaving Montefurado:
A waymarked trail leads out of Montefurado along a green path upward. This path may or may not be overgrown (conflicting information) and would be difficult to cross in rainy weather. If necessary, find the car access from Montefurado to the LU-933, which also conducts the hiker uphill to the village of Hermidón. From there it’s a slog on asphalt (although one with stunning views) to:

I am not sure how to change what I wrote. I don't know anything about Venda Villa!
Maybe @sabbott saw a sign with "vende" (i.e."for sale") on the exit from Montefurado. I remember some ruined houses with "vende" signs at the end of the village and the beginning of that grassy (could be owergrown) path uphill to Hermidon ;)

Question 13
Alto do Faro. Sabbott reports getting lost from the ermita, which is a slight detour off camino. My directions are pretty straightforward so maybe I messed something up. Here's what I say:
Soon you will be at the high point, a huge field with its ermita, lookout tower, and cruceiro. To rejoin the Camino, go to the cruceiro (decorated standing crucifix), and the arrows will take you back to the Camino and past the picnic area.

I would just add (and as I remember from previous posts I'm almost the only one that found the way from here to Rodeiro with no problems :)) that after descending from the ermita to the tarmac road you either descend via tarmaced/gravel road or way of the cross. Either way picnic area with fountain is on your right. If you descended on the road you have to cross the picnic area or go on the tarmac left and then right around it and head for the gravel road with wind turbines on your left. And if you descend via the way of the cross then you turn right on the tarmac road and you'll see picnic are to your right. Keep left to it and proceed straight on gravel road with wind turbines to your left. Easy.peasy :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
BTW, tell me your exact departure date, and I'll be happy to send you a very preliminary draft of the 2017 guide.
I'm leaving tomorrow night :)

Question #3.
I've posted the question on the official facebook page of the camino and i've received answers from locals and from a couple of guys that walked the camino last week. They all say the same: no works or problems, you just follow for 1.8 km the road between the Ermida de Cambia and the little pueblo of Feria (Rio) and from there to Mouriz, 0.7 km. From Mouriz to Rodeiro there are 1.4 more km.
Here's what i mean:

Attachments

• rodeiro.jpg
    rodeiro.jpg
    772.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Question #3.
I've posted the question on the official facebook page of the camino and i've received answers from locals and from a couple of guys that walked the camino last week. They all say the same: no works or problems, you just follow for 1.8 km the road between the Ermida de Cambia and the little pueblo of Feria (Rio) and from there to Mouriz, 0.7 km. From Mouriz to Rodeiro there are 1.4 more km.
Here's what i mean:
Yep, it by-passes Leboro with its two bars :eek:;)

Maybe @sabbott saw a sign with "vende" (i.e."for sale") on the exit from Montefurado. I remember some ruined houses with "vende" signs at the end of the village and the beginning of that grassy (could be owergrown) path uphill to Hermidon ;)

I would just add (and as I remember from previous posts I'm almost the only one that found the way from here to Rodeiro with no problems :)) that after descending from the ermita to the tarmac road you either descend via tarmaced/gravel road or way of the cross. Either way picnic area with fountain is on your right. If you descended on the road you have to cross the picnic area or go on the tarmac left and then right around it and head for the gravel road with wind turbines on your left. And if you descend via the way of the cross then you turn right on the tarmac road and you'll see picnic are to your right. Keep left to it and proceed straight on gravel road with wind turbines to your left. Easy.peasy :D
100% in agreement with KinkyOne for both questions. What you have about leaving Montefurado in the guide is fine, Laurie. If you can't find the path then just make your way back up to the road (LU-933) and you'll get to O Ermidón.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Question #3.
Here's what i mean:

Thanks, chinasky. Which of the several facebook pages is the official one? Can you give a link?

And, I can send you what I've got at the end of today. I have made quite a few changes, btw. PM me with an email address if you would like me to send you a word document. Buen camino! Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Question 14.

In Barxa de Lor. I have changed the guide to reflect the location of Pensión Pacita about 400 km off route. But I have not been able to find any information about another establishment we list in that town, Meson do Lor/Restaurante A Marquesa. I can find a phone listing that confirms that the phone number we have is correct, but I can't find anything more.

My main question is that it sounds to me like this mesón should be right next to Pacita, no? (And I still can't find information on price for Pacita).

Here's what the guide now says:

Barxa de Lor has a Casa Rural Pacita, tel. 982 430 008. Several hundred meters off the Camino, located on the LU-933. Highly recommended. PRICE???

For an unmarked 300-meter detour to a useful bar/restaurant area, (Mesón do Lor: 982 430 150, Restaurante A Marquesa, 982 430 170), take a left turn after crossing the bridge in Barxa and follow the river. Return to the old bridge to continue the Camino. (Refill water bottles at farms along this stretch – you will need them later.)

Looking at a google maps for Pacita, it looks to me like the directions to get there are exactly the same as what we say for the Mesón, except that I can´t find the mesón. So, any info on -- walking directions to Pacita, or info on the mesón would be appreciated. I believe that the camino comes into Barxa de Lor on the fight side of the Rio Lor. So, to get to Pacita, you have to cross the Ponte da Barxa, and then turn left to go up to the LU-933. But that's exactly what we say to do for Mesón de Lor. THANKS!!! Screenshot 2017-01-24 16.49.20.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
And now this map I found seems to show that the directions we have for the mesón are wrong. It looks like if you turn left after the bridge, you will go back up to LU-933 and the Pacita. To get to Mesón, it looks like I should say something like, go past the church and keep going straight to Mesón. The red dot on the map below is supposedly the mesón. Has anyone been there? Screenshot 2017-01-24 16.54.39.png

I haven't been to Pension but was at Bar on LU-933 (description to turn left after crossing the bridge is correct). At that time I understood that you have to go a little bit further along the river (further from Bar that is) to come to the Pension. But never checked or asked so might be very wrong. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

I haven't been to Pension but was at Bar on LU-933 (description to turn left after crossing the bridge is correct). At that time I understood that you have to go a little bit further along the river (further from Bar that is) to come to the Pension. But never checked or asked so might be very wrong. Sorry I can't be of more help here.
Laurie: the directions to Casa Pacita are fine. You turn sharp left after crossing the bridge and walk along the river bank until you get to the bar/hostal. This, as KinkyOne rightly says, is on the LU-933. And it's the same place that he was at!

By the way, it's not 400 km off the Camino, Laurie!

Forget the other places. On the N-120, some way back down the road, you'll find a couple of places, but they are way off the Camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Right!

I have just phoned the Pension Pacita, and it's exactly what we have:

Turn left right after crossing the bridge. They say it's 300 metres; I would say 400, but it's definitely worth the nice walk along the river bank before returning to the bridge and then going up the steep hill towards Castroncelos.

I asked about prices, Laurie: single room 20 euros, double room 30 euros. No high season prices. And they serve meals.

As I said, the Mesón do Lor is back down the N-120, a couple of kilometres away. A Marquesa, another restaurant, is also back down there.

There is nothing else in the area around the bridge.

You owe me a glass of wine, Laurie!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
More mystery solved. It seems that the guide´s current directions to the mesón are actually the directions to the pensión. AND, I think that Kinky actually stopped in the Pacita rather than in the Mesón, since it looks like it has a bar. Kinky, does the picture Charrito posted look like the place you had a drink on the LU-933?

More mystery solved. It seems that the guide´s current directions to the mesón are actually the directions to the pensión. AND, I think that Kinky actually stopped in the Pacita rather than in the Mesón, since it looks like it has a bar. Kinky, does the picture Charrito posted look like the place you had a drink on the LU-933?
I've stopped there twice, and it is DEFINITELY the only place between Quiroga and A Pobra do Brollón. Therefore, it is 100% the place where Kinky had a drink!

Really cold bottles of Estrella Galicia!

You'll see that the sign says 'Restaurante Labrada', but it is DEFINITELY the Pensión Pacita.

They have a huge docile dog, who sits next to you on the terrace and is super friendly!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Taking a page out of Charrito's play book, I just called the number I had for the Mesón in Barxa do Lor. Phone has been disconnected, so I will remove mention of any other place except for Casa Pacita. Here's the new text:

For food, drink, or a bed, the Pensión Pacita is a short walk off the Camino. Casa Pacita, tel. 982 430 008. It is located on the LU-933. To get there, take a left turn after crossing the bridge in Barxa and follow the river. Retrace your steps to the bridge to continue. Highly recommended by pilgrims. Singles 20€, doubles 30€; meals also served.

We're getting there, just a few more things to work through, and then the guide will be ready for the forum's critical eyes!

Taking a page out of Charrito's play book, I just called the number I had for the Mesón in Barxa do Lor. Phone has been disconnected, so I will remove mention of any other place except for Casa Pacita. Here's the new text:

For food, drink, or a bed, the Pensión Pacita is a short walk off the Camino. Casa Pacita, tel. 982 430 008. It is located on the LU-933. To get there, take a left turn after crossing the bridge in Barxa and follow the river. Retrace your steps to the bridge to continue. Highly recommended by pilgrims. Singles 20€, doubles 30€; meals also served.

We're getting there, just a few more things to work through, and then the guide will be ready for the forum's critical eyes!
Perfect, Laurie, although I would still recommend carrying on to A Pobra do Brollón and stopping for the night in the marvellous Pensión As Viñas, which is incredibly pilgrim-friendly and has rooms which would not be out of place in a 3-star hotel. Great food too.

Stopping in A Pobra do Brollón means that you can carry on past Monforte de Lemos to different places the next day. Having said that, though, I would heartily recommend a stopover in Monforte de Lemos. Wine tour for 2.5 euros, incredible places to see, and a lot more.

Are we allowed to recommend?????????;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Perfect, Laurie, although I would still recommend carrying on to A Pobra do Brollón and stopping for the night in the marvellous Pensión As Viñas, which is incredibly pilgrim-friendly and has rooms which would not be out of place in a 3-star hotel. Great food too.

Stopping in A Pobra do Brollón means that you can carry on past Monforte de Lemos to different places the next day. Having said that, though, I would heartily recommend a stopover in Monforte de Lemos. Wine tour for 2.5 euros, incredible places to see, and a lot more.

Are we allowed to recommend?????????;)

We'll see how the forum reviewers come down on this recommendation. ;) It is actually just shorthand for your comments, Kinky's comments, and sabbott's comments in which she describes spending two nights there, getting a tour of the farm, being so well treated, etc etc.

I agree with you completely about stopping over in Monforte de Lemos. On my first Invierno, I was dragging when I got there, and straggled up to the parador, where the very nice person in charge agreed to reactivate my long unused parador amigos account and give me a free room for the night! Though I've been there several times, I've never made it into the monastery nor the wine tour. And another forum member has told me I have to get myself to the railroad museum! Looks like a lot of unfinished business in Monforte de Lemos.

We'll see how the forum reviewers come down on this recommendation. ;) It is actually just shorthand for your comments, Kinky's comments, and sabbott's comments in which she describes spending two nights there, getting a tour of the farm, being so well treated, etc etc.
You need recommendation for As Vinas in A Pobra de Brollon??? For me it was like a 5 star hotel not to mention the owners hospitality!!! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You need recommendation for As Vinas in A Pobra de Brollon??? For me it was like a 5 star hotel not to mention the owners hospitality!!! :)
We're getting confused here. Kinky and I are talking about As Viñas, as neither of us actually stayed in pensión Pacita. Sabbott did.

Ok, I will post specific questions separately from now on, don't want to get us more confused than we already are. :D Just posted a separate question about Pazo de Camba, Leboro, and the way into Rodeiro. Getting closer to the end!!!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back