• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Specific transit question about Madrid airport

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have a fair amount of knowledge of how the Madrid airport works, but in a PM I realized there is one issue that has me stumped.

Here are the specific facts:

Passenger arrives in T4S on international flight. Passenger is going to connect with an Iberia domestic flight but it is on a separate ticket. Does the passenger have to totally exit the secure area, check in at the Iberia departures desk, and then go back through the huge Madrid security? Or is there somewhere where the passenger can check-in for the connecting flight in T4 or T4S and go through the security that is specifically for transiting passengers?

If it were all on one ticket, I know the answer — no need to leave and check in again.

If passenger were arriving in T1 or T2, I know the answer — take a bus to T4, start the check in process all over, get through security and get to your T4 gate.

I’m assuming the passenger will not be able to get a boarding pass for the domestic flight at the check-in for the international flight to Madrid. If that’s the case, unless there is some Iberia desk for check-in in T4 that is inside the secure area, it seems that a total exit will be required. And that could be very time consuming.

I know there are a lot of travel experts on the forum, so I hope one of you has the answer!

Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This

Seems to say that if you have to collect checked baggage or you do not have a boarding pass for your next flight; you start all over from the beginning.

Can the questioner check in online for the second flight? If not checking baggage that might help.

Laurie,

I think all of your assumptions are correct. It is not exactly the best airport to transit in, I have never used Barcelona but I can say that Bilbao and Bordeaux are much more user friendly, even though BOD may make you walk outside and start over it is small and easy to get around.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't know if this makes it clearer or not, but there is a flying Iberia from a non-Schengen country to a location in Spain through T4 and T4s on this page link. Recall having to collect my bag for customs to check when flying into Madrid, but I have never had a connection flight.

I do remember signs for connecting flights after you pass passport control though.

This

Seems to say that if you have to collect checked baggage or you do not have a boarding pass for your next flight; you start all over from the beginning.

Can the questioner check in online for the second flight? If not checking baggage that might help.

Thanks for the link I couldn’t find it! You are right that it definitely sounds like she will have to leave the secure area and start again. But that’s a great point about online checkin.

Has anyone ever checked in online with Iberia and bypassed the departures check-in? I suppose she could try to do that the day before her domestic flight.

Is there any chance that the American Airlines desk would be able to check her in for the domestic Iberia flight, since they are partners, even if it’s not on an American airlines ticket?

Checking bags is another layer of complication — you’re right that if she checks bags, she has to leave to pick up her bags and then go to departures to recheck. So if checking bags, there’s only one way to go, I think.

Making progress but it sure seems complicated!

Is there any chance that the American Airlines desk would be able to check her in for the domestic Iberia flight, since they are partners, even if it’s not on an American airlines ticket?
Very doubtful on separate tickets.

The TripAdvisor Air Travel forum is a great place to ask rgese kinds of questions.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I’m assuming the passenger will not be able to get a boarding pass for the domestic flight at the check-in for the international flight to Madrid. If that’s the case, unless there is some Iberia desk for check-in in T4 that is inside the secure area, it seems that a total exit will be required. And that could be very time consuming.
so glad you asked this question. I'm departing BOS->MAD on Iberia on Sunday night, then taking a separately-ticketed Iberia flight to San Seb. Amazingly, Iberia has already let me get my boarding pass for that domestic flight. Don't know if this is helpful info.

Just adding my experience - I always fly into Madrid and then have a seperate Iberia ticket for my domestic flight. I have always hopped on airport train and then landed at Iberia arrivals in terminal 4 to start the process again at check in . I have never had a problem but do always allow a minimum of 2 hours. I have never seen any other option to do the bag drop without going to check in at terminal 4 even with an online check in

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is great info, thank you all. @Suz2022, I’m assuming you are not checking any luggage? Or else you have a good chunk of a layover?

I think the “get the boarding pass early from Iberia online” strategy could really save people a lot of time, at least if they don’t check luggage. If you check luggage, you are going to have to leave the secure area, wait to pick up your bags, and then take them up to departures and stand in the check-in line to check your bag. So having your boarding pass in that instance won’t save you any time at all. And then you have to go through the main security line.

But if you don’t check bags and already have your boarding pass, you can simply take the train from T4S to T4, go through the security line for transiting passengers, which is miniscule compared to the regular line, and then go to your gate!

I don’t know this from first hand experience, but am summarizing what others have said. I think it could help that (perhaps small) group of people who fly into T4 and then make a connection on a separate ticket that is for a flight that also leaves from T4.

This is great info, thank you all. @Suz2022, I’m assuming you are not checking any luggage? Or else you have a good chunk of a layover?

I think the “get the boarding pass early from Iberia online” strategy could really save people a lot of time, at least if they don’t check luggage. If you check luggage, you are going to have to leave the secure area, wait to pick up your bags, and then take them up to departures and stand in the check-in line to check your bag. So having your boarding pass in that instance won’t save you any time at all. And then you have to go through the main security line.

But if you don’t check bags and already have your boarding pass, you can simply take the train from T4S to T4, go through the security line for transiting passengers, which is miniscule compared to the regular line, and then go to your gate!

I don’t know this from first hand experience, but am summarizing what others have said. I think it could help that (perhaps small) group of people who fly into T4 and then make a connection on a separate ticket that is for a flight that also leaves from T4.
Correct; just my 24L pack as carryon! It was reassuring to get that boarding pass, and the video about getting from T4S to T4 was helpful. I'll need to be awake enough post-redeye to not go somewhere that puts me back in a line I don't want to be in. I have a 5-hour layover, but will swap to an earlier flight if available once I'm in T4.

I'm flying London to Madrid tomorrow with BA (landing terminal 4S) and then Iberia to San Sebastian (terminal 4). I've been allowed to check in for both flights but not sure if my baggage will be checked all the way through to San Sebastian? I have almost 3hrs between flights anyway and it looks like the train from 4S to 4 is only 4 minutes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a fair amount of knowledge of how the Madrid airport works, but in a PM I realized there is one issue that has me stumped.

Passenger arrives in T4S on international flight. Passenger is going to connect with an Iberia domestic flight but it is on a separate ticket. Does the passenger have to totally exit the secure area, check in at the Iberia departures desk, and then go back through the huge Madrid security? Or is there somewhere where the passenger can check-in for the connecting flight in T4 or T4S and go through the security that is specifically for transiting passengers?

If it were all on one ticket, I know the answer — no need to leave and check in again.

If passenger were arriving in T1 or T2, I know the answer — take a bus to T4, start the check in process all over, get through security and get to your T4 gate.

I know there are a lot of travel experts on the forum, so I hope one of you has the answer!

Laurie, We flew from the US to Madrid in April 2022, connecting on Iberia to Bilboa. We did NOT check any luggage so cant comment on that. However, everyone arriving is channeled through passport check and AGAIN through security right away. We were then able to go into T4 and our Iberia flight was also out of T4, so it was no problem; we just walked to the correct gate. Iberia boards like Southwest airlines...you get in a line based upon your seating assignment. If I remember correctly, we checked in online for all the flights and never had to visit another check in counter.

You are correct!!

I came in with American Airlines in June, for the Camino Primitivo, and I had a separate reservation on Iberia to Oviedo.

I picked up my luggage, exit the airport, re-checked in Iberia, got my boarding pass, and I went to the gate.

It was very fast.

I am off to the Camino Vienese in October and doing the same.

Buen Camino!!!

Texasguy

I'm flying London to Madrid tomorrow with BA (landing terminal 4S) and then Iberia to San Sebastian (terminal 4). I've been allowed to check in for both flights but not sure if my baggage will be checked all the way through to San Sebastian? I have almost 3hrs between flights anyway and it looks like the train from 4S to 4 is only 4 minutes.
Are all of your flights on one ticket? If so, your luggage should be checked through.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
So last April I had a flight from the US to Madrid (American) and a separate ticket to San Sebastián (Iberia) that left about 3 hours after arrival from Madrid via domestic connections. After navigating customs and the nice train from T4s I faced a dilemma. Do I go to the left and walk towards the area for incoming international passengers that requires the medical checkpoint or do I just bang a right at the "connections" area and go through more traditional security - bypassing the whole Covid certification thing. Well, I had a boarding pass already for my second flight (digital) so I banged a right and totally went through security bypassing the Spain Health area entirely. Now my Spain entry requirements were fulfilled and filled out complete, so don't get mad at me.
I just walked to to connecting gate after security and landed in EAS an hour after boarding. I only felt a little guilty.

(edit) Note: carry on luggage only. 36L pack with no poles!

Last edited:
I flew into Madrid a month ago and caught a separate Iberia flight onward to Santiago. I only had a carry on bag. I had to go through customs and the Spain health check table where they checked my health app. It was very easy and quick. I didn’t have to go out and back in through airport security. I didn’t have my Spain phone number activated, so I didn’t have access to my ticket info on my phone. I couldn’t remember anything except the approximate time of departure! There was an information kiosk for Iberia and the lady found my flight with just my name, printed me a boarding pass, then directed me to an official who pointed toward the proper terminal. I had to ride the train to another terminal but it was pretty easy.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I
I flew into Madrid a month ago and caught a separate Iberia flight onward to Santiago. I only had a carry on bag. I had to go through customs and the Spain health check table where they checked my health app. It was very easy and quick. I didn’t have to go out and back in through airport security. I didn’t have my Spain phone number activated, so I didn’t have access to my ticket info on my phone. I couldn’t remember anything except the approximate time of departure! There was an information kiosk for Iberia and the lady found my flight with just my name, printed me a boarding pass, then directed me to an official who pointed toward the proper terminal. I had to ride the train to another terminal but it was pretty easy.
I am curious about the Covid table. I saw none when I went to the right at the connections area after the train. Mine was in April though, did they change things?

You didn’t have to show your QR code to an official? It was right after the customs check where they stamped my passport. There were lines on the floor to follow to a table where another official check for my QR code. It was before the trains.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back