• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Speed videos of the Salvador

peregrina2000

Staff member
Ender just sent me some links to videos of the Salvador. Apparently they were taken by a couple who had a camera attached to the front of the body, and it took pictures automatically every so often. I think we've seen videos of other caminos by this same couple. Frankly, it makes me a bit seasick to watch it, but some may enjoy the opportunity to see the camino laid out like this.

Ender also makes the point that the couple walked along the side of the highway between the Puerto de Pajares and the town of Pajares. In light of the recent tragedy near the albergue in Arca, I'm sure everyone will be thinking long and hard before walking on the shoulder of a highway with a lot of truck traffic. Especially in this section, where it is impossible to walk on the left side of the road because there is absolutely no shoulder. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Laurie,
Yes, it makes you indeed seasick and what is good is that it gives you an idea of a winter Salvador. The fog was not so dense but you don't have the overview of the camino in the mountains. More dense would be very dangerous to lose the road.

Yeah, I'm glad I had a set of maps and compass with me. I never really used them but I can imagine it wouldn't take much for the visibility to go quickly. I remember the peaks clouded over ever evening about 5pm, if you'd been up there then you'd need some good compass work to get through it.

I agree about the road to Pajares, either of the other options have got to be better than chancing it on the N630 no matter how short. I like to think I'm pretty adventurous but that was too much for me. The Salvador seems to be getting more popular, I think more people walking the N630 has got to be an accident waiting to happen.

Great videos though, a lot of happy memories.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The advantage of those videos is that you can see what maybe you did wrong or learn alternatives.
Here is what I learned.

video 2 at 10'25": A bridge is a good invention. Look how it was before Ender's team made the bridge.
video 4 at 09'33": One of my unanswered questions now answered! You don't have to come down after visiting Santa Cristina.
The way continues and you see the old railway station on the left side. You will join if you came down after visiting SC.
video 4 at 10'31": For your info: we took right and go over the bridge because there was the supermercado Mercadona at the other side to buy groceries. Finally a big supermercado after 48 hours!
video 4 at 10'32": After stocking up, we took right at this split you hardly see. We walked for a few hundred meters paralel with the camino. Advantage is lesser noise from the highway and the lovely noise from the river. Now we understand why there were no more yellow arrows because the camino goes left under the highway and after taking right you are in the center of Pola de Lena. We missed that tunnel but could cross the highway on a bridge and enter the centre anyway.
video 5 at 05'59": Another way to enter Mieres by taking the first bridge over the river/highway and continue on the right side.
video 5 at 03'57": it seems that the peregrino met some other peregrinos and they gave him the hint to cross that bridge and walk on
the right side of the highway till Ujo. This part has no traffic but maybe there is more noise coming from the highway.

General: winter is still in the mountains. No leaves on the trees. After Campomanes: Spring is in the air, first leaves on the trees. This is very remarkable at the Alto del Padrun.

Last edited:
well, I am lucky enough to actually appear in these videos. This was taken between April 29th and May 3rd 2012 approximately, there were only 7 of us, plus this Hungarian couple. It felt wintery in the Leon side, while Asturias was in full bloom spring. The day to Pajares we were walking in a blizzard with Ender and Josines and crossed the mountains with a thick fog, wind and snow. Some experience! For me, it brings exactly the memories of the place, because I was there at the same time. In Poladura, they stayed in the hostel (it was snowing in the morning when we left) while we chose Posada el Embrujo, something absolutely recommendable by the way, so we did not get to see them that day.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back