• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spelling names on the phone

Margaret Butterworth

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 (Pamplona to Burgos)
2014 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
2015 (Villafranca to Santiago)
2016 (Le Puy to Conques; SJPP To Pamplona)
Is there an established list of words in Spanish that I can use to spell out my name when making a booking on the phone? (Eg B for Barcelona, T for Tokyo, etc). I have always got someone else to help me book onward accommodation, but it's about time I plucked up the courage to do it myself - though my name is a long one!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many, many years ago when I worked as a telephonist for the GPO phone calls (from U.K) were connected manually and the international phone language was French. French (male) names were used.
e.g.
André
Bernard
Charles ...
etc.

was the accepted way for operators to spell names when connecting calls with all countries abroad. Of course that all changed when automatic dialling came in to being.

Sorry I don't know what the Spanish would use now. On my Camino trips I made a couple of phone calls with my almost non existent Spanish (vocab of approximately 25 words) and somehow managed .

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is there an established list of words in Spanish that I can use to spell out my name when making a booking on the phone? (Eg B for Barcelona, T for Tokyo, etc). I have always got someone else to help me book onward accommodation, but it's about time I plucked up the courage to do it myself - though my name is a long one!
Oh gosh I have been concentrating on learning how to pronounce the Spanish alphabet. The thought of anything further never crossed my mind. I too have a long name. Thinking it is time to change it!:p:p:p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Excellent. Thank you.

My first name is Jordon which I believe said correctly in Spanish would be something like Hordón to which I would ultimately receive the response, "Heh??" So I started using my second name, Robert but I'd spice it up and use Roberto! Oddly, after they heard the rest of my Spanish request for a room they have never asked for my last name... I suppose one can only tolerate so much mutilation of ones own language in one call :D:D:D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have normally only been asked for my first name when booking over the phone, which I give as Teresa, and I pronounce it in the Spanish way. The only problem I had this year was when I thought that I had a bad connection, because the voice on the other end seemed to keep breaking up. He kept asking me something, and I kept repeating Teresa. I was at a bar, and asked the woman behind the counter to talk for me to verify that I had a reservation.

When I finally arrived at the pensión in O Pedrouzo, the woman at the front desk couldn't find my name on the list. I told her that I had spoken to a man, but that the connection was not good. So she called for the man to come out, and when he did I discovered why I was having so much trouble understanding him - he had a tracheotomy! After he got my name, he had been asking what country I was from, and I had repeated "Teresa". So he had written down the closest thing that it sounded like to him - Suecia. So I was down on their list as a woman from Suecia. Fortunately, I had a room for the night!

The ICAO, International Civil Aviation Organization, another UN organ, HAS a global alphabet that ALL aviation crews must use. In practice, it has also been adopted by most international law enforcement organizations, like INTERPOL and EUROPOL.

Here is the ICAO global standard phonetic alphabet for international aviation:

https://www.icao.int/Pages/AlphabetRadiotelephony.aspx

Also, and just FYI, NATO has a standard phonetic alphabet as well. This one is used by all the NATO forces. Here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet

Note that both the ICAO and NATO phonetic alphabets are very similar. However, neither of these choices allows for the several unique sounds in the Spanish alphabet:

For example:
Ch - Chocolate
Ll - Llobregat (Y sound)
Ñ - Ñoño (trilled N)

X - Xiquena
Y - Yegua

So, on balance, I adopt the "when in Rome..." paradigm... I will try to use the Spanish phonetic alphabet in future. itis simply best suited to purpose.

I hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Good conversation. Actually, I have to spell my first name, last name and my street address, when talking on the phone *here* in the USA! The fun part is that I use the International Phonetic Alphabet to do the spelling . . . Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Foxtrot, etc. Good luck communicating y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Outstanding, thank you for the resource!

I copied it to my iPhone as a Note...

A very handy thing to have for a non-native speaker...
Good idea. I’m going to do the same. Thanks.

I don't know what model of phone you are using. Android type phones support copy-paste operations. If you can copy your name into the phone, then you can past it back into fields that allow inputs. Doing this requires several tries to get if work, but it works on my Samsung S7 phone and my S2 tablet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
First, I copied the material from the web page into a blank Word document to strip out the HTML formatting and save the paste as a .rtf formatted file (copy / save special...). The result is nearly the same file format as any word processing document. I then reformatted the text and table to my desire...character set, text size, column widths, etc.

Once this was done, a two-minute job, I copied the resulting material into my Notes app on my Macbook. This is synched with my iPhone via the cloud.

Finally, once on the iCloud, I could easily save the document to my iPhone.

This is actually MUCH easier than it sounds... I accomplished it faster than it took to explain it here.

I hope this helps.

Perhaps off topic for Spanish spelling: in Italy the first letter of major town names are used. The K doesn't (didn't) exist. :cool:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Llobregat
Ñoño
Xiquena
Yegua

I would have never thought to have used those as I'd never even heard those words before! :D
Yes, thanks for the resource, VN!

X from Xiquena is confusing.

Spanish X (éxito) sounds like English Nixon.
but Xiquena (which is Catalán) sounds SH (English Shirt) .
A Galician speaker would understand because the sound of X is the same as in Catalán, but not an Spanish speaker who would understand S.

I would say X from Extremadura (There isn't any Spanish word starting with X

Often in Spanish people distinguish the most easily confused letters (B/V and C/S) by saying B de 'bueno' or V de 'vaca' and C de 'casa' or S de 'santo'. F often sounds like S over the phone so they say F de Francisco.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Often in Spanish people distinguish the most easily confused letters (B/V and C/S) by saying B de 'bueno' or V de 'vaca' and C de 'casa' or S de 'santo'. F often sounds like S over the phone so they say F de Francisco.
So true about the F. It happens to me here at home. I have one in my last name, and I always say "F as in Frank"

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back